Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Just got this one in my box...

Takedown of centroamericatv

Effective Thursday, March 30th, the centroaméricatv channel (currently located on Channel 834) will no longer be available to DISH Network subscribers. We regret any inconvenience this may cause you. Customers can still find some Central American programming on the following channels:

-Canal Sr - Channel 857

-Fox Sports en Español - Channel 855

-GOLTV - Channel 853

-HITN - Channel 843

With Univisión, Galavisión, Telefutura, ESPN Deportes, GolTV, Fox Soccer, Canal Uno Internacional and TV Colombia, among others, DishLATINO offers more games, more teams, more soccer and the best World Cup coverage.

Same here, this was one of the channels that kept me with Dish Network... My family watches news from back home and I watch the soccer matches. I'll wait and see if somebody else (Comcast or DirecTV) picks the channel and switch.

Thanks Scott for the heads up.

It's shutting down. They should've not worded as a "takedown" since it's actually shutting down on its own due to financial reasons. I hear that E* actually owns a part of this station. It was a good station to draw in our Dish Latino subs.

I figured that financial reasons was the problem, I didn't see any commercials at all so how that heck can you continue to survive. The channel was up since September 15, 2004.
Too bad, I will miss the soccer from Costa Rica where I lived for 7 years but hopefully GolTV or Fox Sports Español will pick it up.

That's for sure.....

RandallA said:
I figured that financial reasons was the problem, I didn't see any commercials at all so how that heck can you continue to survive. The channel was up since September 15, 2004.
Too bad, I will miss the soccer from Costa Rica where I lived for 7 years but hopefully GolTV or Fox Sports Español will pick it up.

I am actually from Costa Rica and CentroamericaTv was the main reason I kept my DISH subscription........I think I will drop it now....I am sure Dish will not miss my $100 I gave them every month, for the past 10 years.......

Do you guys know if that station is available via C or KU band somewhere...????

ticoman said:
Do you guys know if that station is available via C or KU band somewhere...????

It won't be available anywhere.

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
It's shutting down. They should've not worded as a "takedown" since it's actually shutting down on its own due to financial reasons. I hear that E* actually owns a part of this station. It was a good station to draw in our Dish Latino subs.

Alternatives.....

JohnH said:
Only a card on that channel now. Talks about the alternatives. Oops, forgot I have a subscription.

The funny thing about the "alternatives" is that none of those channels have anything to do with Central America, so it makes me wonder if DishNetwork people even know where Central America is.......

If they could only bring back "Teletica" from Costa Rica.......Time to move my C band to PAS 3.....

SC

Unfortunately Teletica went encrypted after January 2nd 2006. I emailed them asking why, they said that some big US networks asked them to do do. They also said that Centroamericatv had asked them to encrypt the signal for the local programming.

I emailed the guys at Teletica this past monday to ask him what had happened with Centroamericatv and he was surpised. He had no idea the channel was off the air. He said he was going to contact them to see what was going on.

Well, columbia.com, monumental.com para los partidos.

The main reason they encrypted their signal on PAS3r is because they want to sell their programming via the Web PPV for news, games, etc. SO do not buy. All other countries in central america have open channels, but not Costa Rica, repretel and teletica suck.

Ah, I didn't know the signal was encrypted. Your explanation makes sense, they want us to buy the Web PPV games. It really sucks that they removed the channel when the semi-finals are just to about to begin.

You can also check the scores on line at www.nacion.com, they have live updates. Vamos, vamos Morados!

yes, that is too bad. I used to get it. I went and got a 10 foot mesh dish and learn all this and had a hard time installing just to get Teletica, and then what? they encrypt the signal. Well... Maybe they will open it later.

The guy also mention that they will come in about a year with teletica international, a ver si acaso asi agarramos algo.

Here's the source on why they shut down centroamericatv:

March 28, 2006
Dear DISH Network Retailer,
Effective March 30, 2006, centroaméricatv will no longer be broadcast. This programming has been part of DishLATINO entertainment packages on channel 834; however, centroaméricatv has determined the channel is not financially sustainable. Even without this channel, DishLATINO entertainment packages include a variety of Central American programming as well as extensive coverage of soccer games, analysis and the World Cup. For more information regarding Central American and Spanish-language programming on DISH Network, subscribers can visit www.dishnetwork.com/espanol, or call 1-888-889-7076.

In case you guys wanted a source. That came straight from DISH to retailers with no retailer-sensitive material above.

Thanks Summit. I knew the problem was a financial one and honestly I didn't expect the channel to last this long. Unfortunately for me at least, I want to watch the Costa Rican soccer and it is not available on GolTV or Fox Sports Español.

Did centroamericatv have exclusive rights to Costa Rican soccer? If not, I wonder why the other channels didn't pick it up since it left a pretty big void in their respective programming. My Dish Latino reps and installers are going crazy because this was such a popular channel here in the DC metro area and the channels DISH listed as substitute channels aren't really substitutes anyway.

"Did centroamericatv have exclusive rights to Costa Rican soccer?" Most likely.

I know Goltv and Fox Sports Español show Soccer from Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador, so there is no void there. The problem is with the Costa Rican soccer and I just hope Centroamericatv sells the rights to one of those two channels.

Is very sad Tha Here IN the usa. large Corporation Only Support Mexican Tv They Ingnore All Centroamerican ? We are here to And we have Purchase Power to We Are going to Cencel The Dish .No centroamericatv =no dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)