DISH tops 11 Million Customers

They must be doing something right, even if not all things to all customers. My friend was just installed last week and got AT60/locals and a 510 DVR for less than $40/mo. The local cable company couldn't give her a DVR for less than $65/mo. Needless to say, she is very happy with DISH (though admittedly, still in the honeymoon phase of her relationship with them ;) ) .

Zookster said:
Needless to say, she is very happy with DISH (though admittedly, still in the honeymoon phase of her relationship with them ;) ) .

Sort of like I was back in October of '96, before the green line "blink outs" started on the model 3000. ;)

Anyway, the number of total subs is less important than how much they spend each month. I'm still part of that 11 million but I'm spending $33 per month less now than I was a few days ago. Terrible SD PQ, no CNN International, and a $3 rate increase made it an easy decision to save money.

Originally Posted by new_to_hdtv
McDonalds is claiming "more than 60 Billion Served" but that doesn't make it taste any better........

ROTFLMAO! Never so close to the truth as this analogy. :D

I thought it was actually 100 Billion Servred, you're jiping them out on the number.

Yeah Dish is now to 11 Million, but directv is reaching 14 million. The gap keeps grwoing. I wish it were closer :(

And Simon I think your sig is growing (whoopsies, it looked huge cause my browser got flipped up to largest font) ;)

do they actually have 11 million subscribers or 11 million who has ever signed up with them? Same with direct tv 14 million subscribers or 14 million who have signed up with them.

i wonder if there is a way to get the churn rate for each company.

That's the current number. So obviously the churn doesn't matter that much if the number is going up...

GaryPen said:
Why? I just can't understand why this would matter to a customer of either company. Do you get a feeling of validation or something?

I can think of a couple of reasons why you want a larger subscriber base. The first case point is Boom! With only 25k subscribers, they are out of business after a year. They had more HD content than anyone, people wanted it, but I am guessing many were afraid to join cuz they figured it wouldn't last long.

The second reason I can think of is purchasing power. Wallmart is the low price leader because they can strong-arm their suppliers (and their employees).

On this one, Charlie at least seems to try to use his poker skills. Remember when we lost CBS/Viacomm/MTV last year? I'm guessing that was Charlie playing a high stakes game of poker. Now if he can just make it so we don't have to buy those sports channels as part of a package, that would be great! Those $100 million player sports contracts are getting to be too much for my wallet to pay for in ESPN subscriptions. I think only sports fans should have to pay for it!

GaryPen said:
Why? I just can't understand why this would matter to a customer of either company. Do you get a feeling of validation or something?

Yeah you dont hear or see comcast (or any other cable company) tooting their horn about having 20+million subs.

So what?

Cable companies are restricted by geography.

Paradox-SJ said:
Yeah you dont hear or see comcast (or any other cable company) tooting their horn about having 20+million subs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts