Dish "Transfer" Question

yahknow1

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
SE Washington State
I'm sorry, I posted this in another forum then noticed the dedicated one for Hopper, I'll try to be brief. I ordered the Hopper after reading it could "Transfer" DVR content to any mobile device for viewing without an internet connection. The technician just left my house taking away my VIP622 and it now appears that the only way to get content to a device is with the "Dish Anywhere" App? and there isn't an app for Windows 8? so the main reason I had for getting the Hopper has just been nixed unless there's a workaround that someone knows of?
Thanks for any and all help!

I'm sorry, I posted this in another forum then noticed the dedicated one for Hopper, I'll try to be brief. I ordered the Hopper after reading it could "Transfer" DVR content to any mobile device for viewing without an internet connection. The technician just left my house taking away my VIP622 and it now appears that the only way to get content to a device is with the "Dish Anywhere" App? and there isn't an app for Windows 8? so the main reason I had for getting the Hopper has just been nixed unless there's a workaround that someone knows of?
Thanks for any and all help!
I suppose you should have asked the question before you set up the Hopper Install, but especially before the tech left your house! I don't know much about windows tablets, which I assume you are using, but have you explored going through a browser?

Good luck

Ross

Sent via Tapatalk

I suppose you should have asked the question before you set up the Hopper Install, but especially before the tech left your house! I don't know much about windows tablets, which I assume you are using, but have you explored going through a browser?

Good luck

Ross

Sent via Tapatalk

I DID ASK, I made it a point to call yesterday and specifically asked that exact question:

"Does the Transfers feature work on laptops"

and the CS agent said positively YES IT DOES. I guess I could have told the installer to box the hopper and joey back up and place my system back to the way it was originally after spending 3 hours improving my setup. but I said screw it and just kept the hopper. I'm going to hope that Windows 8 app store gets some sort of app soon? I mean really, with all the people flying with laptops and not having internet access...I'll just hope it changes?

Tablets are used for watching downloaded ("transferred") programs without Internet service. We do it with an iPad3.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I DID ASK, I made it a point to call yesterday and specifically asked that exact question:

"Does the Transfers feature work on laptops"

and the CS agent said positively YES IT DOES.

That wouldn't be the first time a Dish agent has lied by way of not knowing what the hell they were talking about. They really need to hire competent people. (And don't give me the old "they don't pay enough for competent people" line. I'm sure they make more than I do, and I'd love to have a job other than manual labor!)

That wouldn't be the first time a Dish agent has lied by way of not knowing what the hell they were talking about. They really need to hire competent people. (And don't give me the old "they don't pay enough for competent people" line. I'm sure they make more than I do, and I'd love to have a job other than manual labor!)

Jim, no idea what you make (and it's probably wise to not share here), but I think you'd be surprised how little the CSRs actually make. I work in a Dish call center (I'm not a CSR, I was at one time), and I can tell you, it's hard to find enough people willing to take the verbal abuse from customers long enough for them to become competent at their job.

By the way, Jim, not sure where you are, but we do have 11 call centers in the US, and most are usually hiring. If we pay more, and it's an easier job than manual labor, we'd love to have you on board. Locations hiring CSRs are Phoenix AZ, Littleton and Thornton CO, Hilliard OH, Tulsa OK, Alvin, El Paso, Harlingen TX, Christiansburg VA, and Bluefield WV. No apparent job openings in Queens NY for CSRs, though.

Folks here tend to be higher-level customers with ability to look things up for themselves, and for a major decision, I'd suggest getting backup on anything I had heard by searching. I googled "Hopper Transfers" and found what I believed to be true, it was originally for just the iPad and then the iPhone, but now works for Android platforms, and also for the Kindle Fire, through the DishAnywhere app

http://about.dish.com/press-release...pp-integrates-hopper-transfers-android-ipad-a

As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way.

When I left dish, I was making $16/hour. That was as a supervisor. It's good for call center work with no experience, but they hire on here at Phoenix at $11. Dealing with the constant beratment, was almost not worth it, and that was just from the management team. I actually had a manager tell me not to talk to an agent because I was better than them, and they didn't matter anyways. That was encouraged in Phoenix. Highly encouraged actually. They got mad when I told them I was not better, just in a different role. This was not a one time instance. A lot of the agents are well informed, based on their training, but are given little to no time for updates and refresher training. Especially the high the level. Advanced tech support got off to be trained every so often, but broadband, absolutely never got time off to be trained. That was dish's biggest flaw.

While I obviously have not read everywhere DISH has advertised transferring programs, all the places on their site and in newspaper ads do not say "any." If you looked on their official site it is clearer as to where you can transfer. It is an ongoing problem with DISH CSR's not giving correct information on a variety of things, and you apparently did ask.
If transferring programs is important (It would be to me too) consider either waiting for it to be compatible, though I don't think there has been any word on that, or getting an Android tablet for that purpose. There are many affordable ones.

"Transfer Your Recordings.
Watch your recorded TV programs with the free DISH AnywhereTM app anywhere you want, even when you don't have Internet. Simply transfer your DVR recordings to your iPad, iPhone, Android phone or Android tablet before you leave the house and enjoy your favorite movies and shows on-the-go! Download App

* Requires Android OS 4.0 or higher to watch on an Android device and iOS 6.0 or higher to watch on iPhone or iPad. Requires a broadband-connected Hopper with Sling. Select DVR recordings cannot be transferred."

Reactions: osumike
Well, thanks for the reply Tampa8. The thing is, I do have an android tablet and an android phone, both are compatible with Transfers. My only complaint is this: My Samsung Tab 2 has a 10.2" (1280x800) display and my phone is a Galaxy S4 (1920x1080) with a 5" display. Now then, I have this Lenovo Ultra Book with a 13.3" high-resolution QHD+ (3200 x 1800) display. Watching content on this display is WONDERFUL and I've found myself getting very spoiled after using it! I don't want to go back to the smaller lower res displays and I shouldn't have to. I've also looked at getting a better Android tablet and there's nothing even close to this beauty in existence! At least that I've found yet?

That's like renting a Lambo while in Vegas then getting pissed off when you get back home to your ford Taurus because it doesn't offer the same things. It is advertised in the website as only working for iOS and android. You can't really be mad at dish on that. They only support what they say they are going to support. There is always going to be something better, and they may design it to work in the future but by then, something newer will come out, and then people will complain about it not working on the newer device. It may be possible to write the code to work for those devices, but I get this impression, that dish just doesn't want to. Why would they want to. There is a huge market already in android and iPhone. It's so universal, even you have them.

Well, thanks for the reply Tampa8. The thing is, I do have an android tablet and an android phone, both are compatible with Transfers. My only complaint is this: My Samsung Tab 2 has a 10.2" (1280x800) display and my phone is a Galaxy S4 (1920x1080) with a 5" display. Now then, I have this Lenovo Ultra Book with a 13.3" high-resolution QHD+ (3200 x 1800) display. Watching content on this display is WONDERFUL and I've found myself getting very spoiled after using it! I don't want to go back to the smaller lower res displays and I shouldn't have to. I've also looked at getting a better Android tablet and there's nothing even close to this beauty in existence!

Before you do that, consider the micro HDMI port on your Tab 2. This would work (with an appropriate cable) to a big screen TV, which certainly blows away any 13" screen. Kind of hard to take your TV on board a plane, though. ;) But if your intended use has a TV, e.g. far from decent broadband, that would work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)