Dish Transponder Errors

subnoise

Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
hello all! i came across the site while researching the problems i have been having with my dish.

i have trouble getting half of my channels. one minute, they are fine; then they go all scrambled and go out. the errored message reads:

ERROR 002

the satellite signal has been lost...

at some points i lose over half of my channels. the problems seem to occur mostly during the day, but there are channels that i am NEVER able to get anymore ( TLC [ i am a huge miami ink fan]). i have checked around my dish, and it doesnt appear that there is anything obstructing it.

so i ask the pros here, what is going on? this has been happening for about 6 months and i am REALLY sick of it!!

HELP ME!!!!!!!!

"this has been happening for about 6 months and i am REALLY sick of it!!"

Man, you do have patience.

Error 002 means you're having intermittent signal loss. Your problem is either your dish needs to be realigned or a bad cable or bad connector.

Let's start by verifying your signal strength on some of the TPs. Go to Menu, 6, 1, 1 and select satellite 119 and TP 11 and TP 12. What are your readings? Do the same for satellite 110.

You can also check the cable and all the connectors along the way. Are they lose? Are they corroded?

Since you've been having the problem since the beginning my guess is that the dish needs to be realigned. If you feel that you can do it yourself come back for more help and we'll tell you how to do it. If not, call Dish Network and tell them the problem you're having.

thanks for the fast response!

i am at work now but will try all the recommendations when i get home if it isnt too late.

at a closer look outside this morning before i left, it looks like that the dish and (i dont know what its called) thing on top of my house, they are not really lined up correctly. i am thinking that this could be the problem. but i will try everything to see what it really is...

If this problem is only happening during the day, then go to Menu 6-1-1 then select check switch, post what it says for installed device. Odds are you might have a heat-sensitive lnbf(the 'eyes' on the dish). I would recommend running the test from that page when you ARE getting the signal, that should get you those channels back, if all else fails, call the pros at 1-800-333-3474, they can work something out with you(tech, replacement, ect)

hello all! i came across the site while researching the problems i have been having with my dish.

i have trouble getting half of my channels. one minute, they are fine; then they go all scrambled and go out. the errored message reads:

ERROR 002

the satellite signal has been lost...

at some points i lose over half of my channels. the problems seem to occur mostly during the day, but there are channels that i am NEVER able to get anymore ( TLC [ i am a huge miami ink fan]). i have checked around my dish, and it doesnt appear that there is anything obstructing it.

so i ask the pros here, what is going on? this has been happening for about 6 months and i am REALLY sick of it!!

HELP ME!!!!!!!!

I had a similar problem in the summer. I had a straight line through to the receiver from the dish, so I assumed there were no connection problems. However, when I got a service call for the problem, it turned out that there was a connection. When the technician installs the Dish, he tests the signal with a signal tester and it is much easier to use a connector to test or retest.

I had a bad connector, which is a one on one connector required only for ease of signal testing...

thanks for all the help guys!

havent had time to try any of it since my daughter was sick last night but this afternoon i will try it out and post what happens.

Let's start by verifying your signal strength on some of the TPs. Go to Menu, 6, 1, 1 and select satellite 119 and TP 11 and TP 12. What are your readings? Do the same for satellite 110.

sat 119 TP 11 ----> 77
sat 119 TP 12 ----> 63

sat 110 TP 11 ----> 93
sat 110 TP 12 ----> 0 (i am guessing this is the problem!?)

If this problem is only happening during the day, then go to Menu 6-1-1 then select check switch, post what it says for installed device. Odds are you might have a heat-sensitive lnbf(the 'eyes' on the dish). I would recommend running the test from that page when you ARE getting the signal, that should get you those channels back, if all else fails, call the pros at 1-800-333-3474, they can work something out with you(tech, replacement, ect)

it says that have the DP Twin installed.

please let me know what i need to do to fix my problem(s)

sat 119 TP 11 ----> 77
sat 119 TP 12 ----> 63

These are too low for 119. You'll need to repeak your dish. For 110, 93 for TP11 is good. TP12 is a Spotbeam, so you won't get any signal (My fault).

Do you have easy access to the dish? Better yet, do you feel like repeaking the dish yourself?

If you do, have someone at the TV looking at the signal strength or you can call from your cell. Without loosening anything, you start pushing the dish to the left, right and up and down. Everytime you push ask if the signal goes up, then you'll know where to go to peak the dish. You're interested in 119 but when you're finished, check 110 to see if it's still in the 90s.

or just call Dish Network and tell them that you're experiencing signal loss but it will cost you.

Edit: Just one more thing, can you give us your zipcode? So we can tell you the correct azimuth, elevation and skew for your dish. It ocurred to me that if the skew is off, your numbers will be off too.

Last edited:
Edit: Just one more thing, can you give us your zipcode? So we can tell you the correct azimuth, elevation and skew for your dish. It ocurred to me that if the skew is off, your numbers will be off too.

my zip is 27576.

i will try and repeak it myself. all i need to do is push it different ways and keep pushing it in the direction that makes it go up, and keep a check on sat 110. that sounds rather easy. will try it this afternoon if the weather holds out.

Azimuth: 237 (left and right)
Elevation: 34 (up and down)
Skew Angle: 129

Verify that the skew angle is setup correctly in the back of the dish. You set the skew angle once and don't touch it again. You should be able to get most TPs for 119 in the 100s and 110 in the 100s and 90s.

Azimuth: 237 (left and right)
Elevation: 34 (up and down)
Skew Angle: 129

Verify that the skew angle is setup correctly in the back of the dish. You set the skew angle once and don't touch it again. You should be able to get most TPs for 119 in the 100s and 110 in the 100s and 90s.

will there be an azimuth, elevation, and skew readings on the back of the dish so i will know when i have them at the right numbers?

and after i set this up, what sat and tps do i need to check after i do this?

thanks again for all your help! i am completely lost with all of this, but want to fix it myself (or at least give it a good try)

Take a look at page 2 of this document:

http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishnetwo...des/DISH_Pro_Twin_LNBF_Installation_Guide.pdf

It shows the elevation marks and the skew angle on the dish. There's no mark for the azimuth, but the azimuth is basically a horizontal point in the sky that goes from East to West or from left to right. Since you're just gonna nudge the dish until you find where it needs to go, I don't see any problems. Like I said, don't loose any bolts until you're sure which way to go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts