DISH -VS- VOOM - A Settlement has been reached!

riffjim4069 said:
You do realize that thousands, no, make that well over a million pages of documents were produced via discovery and introduced into evidence (exhibits 1-491). While this evidence is presented to the jury and argued by trial counsel, the jury DOES have the right, and a duty, to request access to whatever documents they feel are necessary in order to make an informed decision. In fact, during deliberations, juries will frequently send requests to the trial judge seeking a review of testimony or exhibits introduced at trial. Didn't you ever watch Perry Mason?

Seriously, if one of the parties were to summarize what was in some of the key documents, wouldn't you want to read that document for yourself in order to confirm what is says and what it doesn't say? Wouldn't you note inconsistencies with the evidence (physical and testimony) and, as a jury, ask the court to release these documents for deliberation? Of course you would. Likewise, should a witness provide testimony that conflicts with prior written statements or their deposition, a jury should want to rationalize these inconsistencies by reviewing depositions, documents and testimony. I would!

While the court certainly doesn't need the jury to review all the evidence (and they shouldn't if trial counsel is doing their jobs), they should certainly be permitted to read key documents (like the contracts) and the evidence they feel is relevant in adjudicating the case. Sometimes trial counsel makes it easy for a jury by framing their case, but others do not and, sometimes, a jury picks-up on things during trial that counsel ignores.

Anyway, the court collects evidence so a jury can review it, if necessary, during the trial. All they have to do is let the clerk know what evidence they wish to review, and the judge will usually honor their request. So a jury DOES NOT "only get to see what is presented in court not the many years and thousands of pages..."

I have been on a jury before. In the trial only 30 pages were allowed. We saw those. Later well after i found out there we 500 pages of discovery evidence but it was block or not used. The binder was very thick. Point is the jury only gets to see a small part which is why i think there will be a settlement with dish only paying 400 million plus a 5 year carriage agreement for all there channels which to AMC is worth more to them but less to cable vision. With a miss trial threat i think dish has a lead over AMC who owns half but not a lead over cable vision
who just wants cash

Odd, considering the judge has been worrying about delays. If the jury is gone till Monday, that gives them 10 days or so to wrap it up, deliberate, reach a verdict and award damages (as too many jurors would drop by the end of the month). This from a judge that promised the trial would be over fast.

And what is that guy's dad doing in the courtroom? My dad may be retired, but he has never come to sit around and watch me work.

HDRoberts said:
Odd, considering the judge has been worrying about delays. If the jury is gone till Monday, that gives them 10 days or so to wrap it up, deliberate, reach a verdict and award damages (as too many jurors would drop by the end of the month). This from a judge that promised the trial would be over fast.

And what is that guy's dad doing in the courtroom? My dad may be retired, but he has never come to sit around and watch me work.

Maybe the dad was there to protect his son from that woman all along:)

Your point of delay of trial may indicate the judge realized a mistrial was likely, forcing the two to settle might be the better way to end it.

Crazy goings on I must say.If Dish tries to work out a settlement with the Dolan's now it could be very costly.

Re: DISH -VS- VOOM - The Trial Begins!

Crazy goings on I must say.If Dish tries to work out a settlement with the Dolan's now it could be very costly.

Another trial, a settlement now or later, I don't see how this won't be costly for dish.

All the theatrics aside, the facts won't change. All the damaging things to their case won't be wiped clean like they thought their hard drives were.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

and so this comment made the woman cry and run out of the room? Do you really consider this an insult?

“That woman has been in this courtroom since day one,” Lowe said, “and if I had known what her position was in this case, I would never have permitted her to sit here in this courtroom.”

I will never forget two ladies that worked for me getting into a knockdown brawl in the corridor. I made the stupid mistake of interceding and saying something inaine - something like " let's calm down" or something like that. They both promptly turned their torches on me and I beat a fast retreat. Lesson learned - don't. I'm guessing the judge would just about do anything to stop the crying.

I will never forget two ladies that worked for me getting into a knockdown brawl in the corridor. I made the stupid mistake of interceding and saying something inaine - something like " let's calm down" or something like that. They both promptly turned their torches on me and I beat a fast retreat. Lesson learned - don't. I'm guessing the judge would just about do anything to stop the crying.

Scary but,hilarious!!:D

Getting between 2 women fighting is never a good idea.;)

I saw that as well. maybe a settlement is being discussed?

Perhaps, but Charlie may have another ace up his sleeve if he can manage to have this case ruled a mistrial, which could probably delay this case another 12-18 months. Conversely, I'm sure Dish is taking a lot of heat for not having AMC - The Walking Dead in particular. Even if they only lose 30,000 customer over this spat (which is not insignificant), I'm sure the fact they're handing out Roku's and credits like Halloween Candy is going to add up quickly. Even if only half (the national average) as many Dish subscribers watch TWD, that's at least 750,00 who were unable to watch the premiere of TWD. Plus, the word is getting around that AMC is not available on Dish...good luck with new new customer accession.

If they get a mistrial its going to be a lot more costly for the Dolans... imagine 2 or 3 years before they go back to court again (if not more.)

Yea I see your point.

How would you term Dish trying to force a mistrial?Is it an act of desperation?Is it because they feel the judge is biased?

I know, right, who would want to watch their son or daughter litigate a multi-billion dollar trial anyways?

It's work, not a piano recital.

I mean, think about the latest Mars lander. They landed a multi-billion dollar robot on Mars, a far more impressive feat than arguing well. Were their parents in mission control? Of course not.

Has anyone (that does not work with them in a family business) had one of their parents come watch them work, especially doing something that lasts DAYS like litigating a trial?

Yea I see your point.

How would you term Dish trying to force a mistrial?Is it an act of desperation?Is it because they feel the judge is biased?
The Judge is definitely leaning in favor of Voom. Excluding three "expert" witnesses for Dish may be the tipping point for a mistrial. The extra time would allow Dish to line up more "experts" for Voom to try and have excluded. It would also allow Dish more time to counter the old e-mails that Voom intends to add. Who knows what Voom didn't "discover" in the delete file.

Also, it isn't really surprising the lady might cry. It sound like her not fully deleting an email might cost her company $2.5 Billion. I'd cry, too. That's got to be a lot of stress.

Charlie knows he's lost, and badly--or if he really doesn't, he's genuinely lost his bearings, which would be worse. I think it is the former, however. At this stage he is trying to find a way to surrender and declare an honorable peace ("victory" would be too implausible even for him).

I don't have any inside info and no law experience and I could be way off base but IMHO I think the judge is going to do a summary judgement later this week. I'm not even sure that is possible now but if it is I think the judge has seen enough and wants to rule in AMC's favor.

From what I've seen thus far, the Judge has had enough of Dish.. their dishonesty and cut-throat antics. It would be enough for me.. I wouldn't want to sit in a room with people of a character like that, much less spend hours a day for days on end.. I'd ask for a 3 day recess too, just to shake out them demons.

Hopper and USB Hub???

Upgrade to 2nd Hopper questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)