Dish wants $449 or $17.95 for 2 Years for Additional DVR for Smart TV

RichardClipp

Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Kansas City
We replaced our Hearth room SD set with a 42" Panasonic LED Smart TV. The Dish HD DVR is connected to our 40" Samsung in the Master bedroom. The Best Buy installer informed us we would need a separate DVR. A call to Dish said the DVR is $449 or $17.95 for two years. We pay Dish $69.99 for American's Top 250 plus $17 for 2 HD DVR's (two TV's lower level) plus $10 for HD 250 and $13 for DVR Service & Protection Package....total bill $110. After 5 years with Dish, can we get a better offer going back to DirectTV? This Forum has convinced us we do NOT want U-Verse or Comcast. Suggestions or alternatives? Should we upgrade to Hopper? Google Fiber will be in our Kansas City neighborhood in about 3 to 4 years.

If you are buying the receiver (which Dish usually does not do) may cost you $449, the $17 per month may be the additional receiver fee for another 722. Someone sounds confused as to what is happening. You should have your account checked, a PM to a DIRT member here would be the best way to see what you should be entitled to. Also, do you realize that signing up for HD Free for Life would also save you $10 each month?

The first thing is I don't think you have an idea of what is best for your needs, so your questions to Dish may be answered correctly - but they may be the wrong questions. Just to begin with you should not be paying the $10 HD fee.
Contact a DIRT member here and they will advise you of what the options are.

It certainly sounds like you should be getting a Hopper system for all those TV's.

Dish only allows you to lease 3 receivers, that's why they're saying you need to purchase. Except for 722's, then they'll only let you lease 2 of those. You say you have 2 other HD DVR's, what model are those? Like other's have said you could purchase a 211 for $100 online, ($149 directly from dish) and add an EHD to it and have a DVR. By I'd say a 2 hopper setup is what you need. Prob get it for a $50 upgrade fee. The hopper 2 (Hopper 3000) will be launching around summer, so you may want to wait for that.

Another option is what I did... I have 2 TVs that I only operate one at a time, so I mirror the programming with one receiver. I ran 2 cat 5 lines and used and HDMI over cat 5 extender to the other TV. I run one TV (in my office) on component, and the other in my bedroom via the HDMI. They both get HD that way and share a receiver.

Everyone's viewing will be different, but think about what you watch were. The Hopper/Joey system works well if you need a bunch of TVs connected. 2 extra TVs on a H/J system is $14, a 722 is $17 and only one is in HD.

Remote Access limitation?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)