Dish want's their LMB back now!

When direct shows up to do the install just have the guy hand you the LNB as that tech will likely use the same mount and vise versa from direct going to dish. One of the reasons I wish Direct installers would use dual line even on a SWM install cause we all know people jump back and forth riding promo's every other year.

DirecTV already came and did the install last week idk why they didn't take the old dish down, my mom was at home when they did it while I was in class. They just mounted the new dish next to the old dish, maybe I'll get up there n take it down after work on Friday if it's not to hot out.

When direct shows up to do the install just have the guy hand you the LNB as that tech will likely use the same mount and vise versa from direct going to dish. One of the reasons I wish Direct installers would use dual line even on a SWM install cause we all know people jump back and forth riding promo's every other year.

Surely you know that the mount sizes are different between the two providers. 2" outer diameter for Direct, 1" and 5/8" outer diameter for Dish Network.

DirecTV already came and did the install last week idk why they didn't take the old dish down, my mom was at home when they did it while I was in class. They just mounted the new dish next to the old dish, maybe I'll get up there n take it down after work on Friday if it's not to hot out.

Some technicians are instructed to never remove old dishes. Ever. Why? Corporate insanity and irrational fears of liability exposure. I always take down old dishes, sometimes 2 or 3 at one job. I either let the customer keep them, or I take them with me. 99% of the time the customer wants me to get rid of it for them. But I'm not your average technician - I never work contracts that are subject to QC checks.

Surely you know that the mount sizes are different between the two providers. 2" outer diameter for Direct, 1" and 5/8" outer diameter for Dish Network.

Some technicians are instructed to never remove old dishes. Ever. Why? Corporate insanity and irrational fears of liability exposure. I always take down old dishes, sometimes 2 or 3 at one job. I either let the customer keep them, or I take them with me. 99% of the time the customer wants me to get rid of it for them. But I'm not your average technician - I never work contracts that are subject to QC checks.

My office tells us to only remove existing dishes if we can make use of the old mount. Otherwise it is a liability, to remove it is considered custom work and we charge $50 to do it.

Sent From My Samsung Hercules

The dish backing plates will go around a direct if you want it, I use existing mounts all the time if I can, same with cables - why run new cables when the old work perfectly fine. As for removing the old dish, if I'm going to use the existing mount then I'll just take the old off and lay it on the ground and that is as far as I take it. I tell the customer they can get rid of it however they please as I saw a tech years ago take a old Direct down and take it with him, well the lady that had the install done wasn't happy with the Dish picture or something and wanted to go back and Direct told her that she would have to pay for a new dish/lnb cause our installer took it. That is why I NEVER take the old dish with me, it gets laid on the ground and that is it. If I can use the old mount location or mount I will, no reason to be stupid and mount another right beside one that is already in place as that is just stupid but I've seen it many times.

The dish backing plates will go around a direct if you want it, I use existing mounts all the time if I can, same with cables - why run new cables when the old work perfectly fine. As for removing the old dish, if I'm going to use the existing mount then I'll just take the old off and lay it on the ground and that is as far as I take it. I tell the customer they can get rid of it however they please as I saw a tech years ago take a old Direct down and take it with him, well the lady that had the install done wasn't happy with the Dish picture or something and wanted to go back and Direct told her that she would have to pay for a new dish/lnb cause our installer took it. That is why I NEVER take the old dish with me, it gets laid on the ground and that is it. If I can use the old mount location or mount I will, no reason to be stupid and mount another right beside one that is already in place as that is just stupid but I've seen it many times.

How about the fact that when the footplate is removed from shingles the pitch patch/bishops tape can remove the shingles with it? Or since the dish that is now attatched to the customers house is now a fixture of that house and proplerty of the property owner. I do not remove old dishes unless specifically asked to, and never remove them off the property as there have been reports of customers claiming the tech stole the dish.

I've seen cases where cablecos offer special deals to satco customers, but taking the LNB and maybe even the dish are part of the deal.

Considering Dish seems to always throw-away (I've had installers just chuck LNBF's and even some switches into the subs garbage bin during upgrades), I agree that the request for the LNBF is probably concern about piracy, but Dish might get some tax credit, no? Well, probably not since on more than a few upgrades the LNBF's end up in the garbage. Dish always installs NEW LNBF's. Installing a used LNBF is to risk a failure in relatively short time. I never seen used LNBF's go up. Even when the tech puts the replaced (still working) LNBF's into his van, the tech says they just "throw them out." I'm sure he meant "responsibly." ;). My vote is fear of piracy. Very Charlie to demand the LNBF back just for fear of piracy.

Considering Dish seems to always throw-away (I've had installers just chuck LNBF's and even some switches into the subs garbage bin during upgrades), I agree that the request for the LNBF is probably concern about piracy, but Dish might get some tax credit, no? Well, probably not since on more than a few upgrades the LNBF's end up in the garbage. Dish always installs NEW LNBF's. Installing a used LNBF is to risk a failure in relatively short time. I never seen used LNBF's go up. Even when the tech puts the replaced (still working) LNBF's into his van, the tech says they just "throw them out." I'm sure he meant "responsibly." ;). My vote is fear of piracy. Very Charlie to demand the LNBF back just for fear of piracy.

You've never seen a remanufactured LNB in the field???? Dish re-uses LNB's all the time! Not sure if Direct does.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

So I signed up with D* last week and got the boxes from E* to send back their equipment on Thursday, problem is I won't be able to get on the roof to get the Dish down until either Fri or Sat. How long does Dish give you to send back their leased equipment (LMB included) before they charge you?

No such thing as an LMB. There is, however an LNB.

Iceberg Directv does ask for their lnb back I am an installer for Dish and have had plenty if customers ask for the lnb because Directv told them if they didn't they would be charged.

I would have to agree with boba on this one. who would of thunk.:rolleyes:

Actually, according to the Dish training I went through when I became an installer the device is called an LNBF or the longer version Low Noise Blockdown Feedhorn. Google it. If you google LNB it is called called a Low Noise Block Downconverter, but look at the device installed on dishes and they say LNBF, which when googled and through training is called a Low Noise Blockdown Feedhorn.

I have Googled it, and you are right bbade. I just wish there were an LNBD, or LNBDF. I don't think "blockdown" is a word. :mad:

In the long run of things, I am surprised that Dish wants the LNBs back. It would seem like that if you were already prewired for Dish, you might be more likely to come back in the future. But, I am sure that they ran the numbers and the cost of having an LNB replaced is less than the cost of recycling LNBs.

Iceberg Directv does ask for their lnb back I am an installer for Dish and have had plenty if customers ask for the lnb because Directv told them if they didn't they would be charged.

Last time when we switched from D* to E* DirecTV just said chuck it in the trash because it was of no use to them...but from what I've heard dish is very easy to pirate, back when I was staying in Houston after Hurricane Katrina my cousin had a bootleg Dish Network hookup and we had locals from all over Texas and Louisiana (until Dish/SBC caught him and he had to start paying).

In the long run of things, I am surprised that Dish wants the LNBs back. It would seem like that if you were already prewired for Dish, you might be more likely to come back in the future. But, I am sure that they ran the numbers and the cost of having an LNB replaced is less than the cost of recycling LNBs.

From an installer point of view and what we are told that if you leave the dish/lnb when you move it makes a future sale likely for whoever moves into the old place. They see a nice already installed Dish Network Dish so they go with that - instant new customer. Even the same is if a existing customer moves into that home the tech doesn't have to do much work, waste more money on materials and so on so the install gets done quicker and customer is more happy - rinse/repeat from that persons old home.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)