Dish, we don't need more HD channels! We need more HD content!

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
I think we have enough HD channels! The pressure is on content providers now. We need more HD programming, not more channels!

When the HD content is in short supply, you either end up with a lot of repeats (like on VOOM), or you get channels that show mostly SD - pick your own poison!

It may sound good to have so many HD channels on paper, but does it really make sense to call all these channels HD if their content is 90% SD? Perhaps there needs to be a law to disclose the HD content on the packaging, like Nutrition Facts! :D

Say what you want about VOOM, but at least it was mostly original, 100% HD programming not available anywhere else, and with no commercial interrupts. Rainbow Media has been producing its own exclusive content for these channels, doing their own HD transfers of movies, their own sports broadcasts, etc. The Dish Network's decision to drop VOOM will reduce the amount of HD content available to us, at least in the short term. That's a major loss in my books.

I think we, Dish Network customers, should stop begging for more HD channels and demand better and more diverse HD content instead. Or we may just get what we ask for: channels labeled "HD" that consume a lot of bandwidth by sending upconverted SD programming most of the time...

Both cases stem from the fact that there is very little HD content out there right now. Networks have only recently started the push to broadcast all of their prime-time programming in HD, so until a lot of these shows are around long enough to hit syndication, you'll see SD. I have to admit I am ignorant as to what it takes to upconvert SD other than it has to come off of film, but I have to think the cost is significant enough to stop cable channels from doing it to everything they can.

I agree. Unfortunately, the name of the game is still quantity over quality. I would much prefer it if E* would improve picture quality by using existing bandwidth by reducing the number of HD or SD channels per transponder instead of adding more pseudo-hd channels which will further diminish picture quality. I think it would be an excellent strategy to focus on picture quality and market that to the viewing audience. Unfortunately, this won't happen until the majority starts demanding it.

I agree with you 100% Ilya.
But as you can see by most people here at SatGuys(avg JSP), they would rather have quantity over quality, even if the programming they are watching is not true HD.

That's the point of my post. We all fall into the same trap: we keep crying for more HD channels.
I suggest we stop for a moment and think about what is really important to us: quality of programming or quantity of channels.

I agree. Unfortunately, the name of the game is still quantity over quality. I would much prefer it if E* would improve picture quality by using existing bandwidth by reducing the number of HD or SD channels per transponder instead of adding more pseudo-hd channels which will further diminish picture quality. I think it would be an excellent strategy to focus on picture quality and market that to the viewing audience. Unfortunately, this won't happen until the majority starts demanding it.

I agree! I think Dish now has most of the best available HD channels.......now work on having the best HD picture quality!

Hear you. VOOM made Dish HD worthwhile. Without VOOM I will be saving $10 a month. So I miss the Tour de France, I do not have cyclist in the race anyway.

Wonder how many will drop Ultimate HD package when VOOM goes boom?

A perfect example of this is 5 Max. Where is the HD? why is there no out-cry for a premium channel that is labeled as HD but failed to show any HD so far since yesterday. Why should I pay for channels like this Charlie? Why is this compelling? Why Charlie Why?

Even "HD" channels with mostly SD content isn't as bad as the ever-growing number of them that s t r e t c h that content. That turns it into a channel that I might watch the occasional SD show on, to one that I will never watch one on. Great use of bandwidth...

Why blame Dish*

The folks here really amaze me you cry for more HD then when you get more HD you cry about no HD programming.
It is NOT Dish's fault if the channels which you all wanted have no HD programming or very little of it.
I do believe that when you all were demanding more HD a lot of folks pointed out that there Was VERY little HD programming out in the wild blue.
So please stop blaming Dish for the programming on the 'HD' channels Dish can only provide what programming they get they do not create programming their selves.

This thread makes no sense to me...........honestly for "months" everyone has been "Charlie, get us more HD channels", or I am switching this Wednesday if I don't get the channels D* has. Now that Dish has given us these channels there is just more griping about "these channels have no HD content" you got rid of the real HD (Voom). C'mon what percentage of people actually watched "all" those channels all the time. At least with the new channels given to us, when they are broadcast in HD then we will have it. The pressure will be put on the TV stations to provide the HD content.

You are not paying a penny more for Cinemax today than you were two days ago, are you? Or maybe you are just paying a penny a year??

you can't get the penny promotion when you carry the "everything pack" can you?

My point is that Dish should not boast about HD content when they debuted a channel that has aired zero content up to now. Needless to say we know that some of the movies on 5 max should be in HD because they already aired on regular max.

My point is that Dish should not boast about HD content when they debuted a channel that has aired zero content up to now. Needless to say we know that some of the movies on 5 max should be in HD because they already aired on regular max.
So, Cinemax released a new HD channel and Cinemax is not running much on it and that is Dish's fault HOW?

you can't get the penny promotion when you carry the "everything pack" can you?

The 5 Max thing is puzzling, I'm not sure where the blame lies there.

NightRyder

How come you don't see any D* HD threads? That's because we at D* have all the channels that we want in HD. Because D* doesn't drop HD channels to add HD channels. And because D* has a better picture quality on both HD and SD channels. How much longer are you guys willing to play the E* game? Add channels, no, drop channels. E* always has a trick up their sleve. Why? And let me tell you that there are a few more hd channels that are worth adding. All this we need more hd programing. What a BS excuse.
Switch today and be happy tomorrow.

So, Cinemax released a new HD channel and Cinemax is not running much on it and that is Dish's fault HOW?

you can't boast about HD content when in reality is not there to begin with. I care very little about whose fault it is but you know I have not heard the people from 5 max boasting about their hd content but I heard the CEO of Dish Network boasting about the contents of their 22 HD additions. When one looks into the fine print, we find out how little there is. One of those channels that has shown zero HD content up to this point is 5 max. This tactic of boasting about something that is not there is bothers me because I go to the channel expecting an HD film and instead I find an SD film. Where is the beef?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts