Status
Please reply by conversation.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
WTF dish, Why wont you let me change my due date on my bill? IT would allow me to effectively manage my bill as well as time my bill with payday so you can get paid on time. For instance I get paid on the 13th and 28th of every month. My house payment eats up my check on the 13th as thats due on the 16th. My dish bill is due on the 24th. I want to change that from the 24th to the 30th so I can make my payment with my 28th check instead of being late every month. I call up Dish, spoke to one CSR who said they couldn't do it, Asked to talk to his supervisor. Who sounded like he was juggling the phone when answered. He Refused to transfer me to the executive resolution team. I ended up hanging up on him, Called back and spoke with someone in the resolution team who said they couldn't do it and wanted to argue even more. He even went as far to say there was no grace period or buyers remorse for any of their contracts. Wich I know isnt true! Wait, I thought I was the customer here! Basically the guy said they had no way which I dont believe. You would think Dish would want work with customers to make sure that their bills are paid!

So if anyone knows who I need to contact to get this changed, pm me so I can get taken care of. Thanks..

I'm reasonably sure that the due date is something that was determined at the time that the service was installed and isn't something that can be changed at will in their system.

Get auto pay on your credit card. That will give you more time. Though with the credit card changes, be sure to read the fine print.

buyers remorse is only applies for something you bought, as in something you would own. you do not own the leased equip, you do not own the programming you receive, and activations fees cannot be owned either.

so what exactly are you buying that can be returned for buyers remorse? you cannot return a subscription service that is non- tangible.

now on a flex promotion there is BRM, as the equip is owned. but guess what, out of the 149.00 you pay for the 311, you only get 50.00 back when you return the rec under BRM within 30 days. the 99.00 activation fee is non-refundable as it is not a tangible product.

Adding custom payment dates to a billing system that's already in place is a horribly complicated thing. It's usually easier to just buy a new billing system and implement it.

Bob, I love you and your hard work, but like the old sign says, "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine." That said, I feel your budget pain, but if you don't have $100 worth of wiggle room in your budget, and have no cash emergency fund, your problems are much bigger than a pseudo-utility bill.

Like most Americans, I'd bet that you have a credit card or two; I'm with tigerfan33 above if this is the case. I never endorse paying a bill with an actual credit card, especially a non-essential one, but this sounds like the best option for you until your cash on-hand exceeds the amount of your Dish bill.

Wait, I thought I was the customer here! Basically the guy said they had no way which I dont believe. You would think Dish would want work with customers to make sure that their bills are paid!

So if anyone knows who I need to contact to get this changed, pm me so I can get taken care of. Thanks..

yes, you are the customer. and as the customer, you are expected to pay for your services by the due date and fulfill any obligations such as a 24 month commitment.

You guys are missing the point. Its not that I cant budget, because I can. Its just when the dates align up, dont align properly with the budgeting, and you would think dish would want to work with the coustmer to fix this.

While my assumptions are probably right that it has to deal with the installation date and the system automatically triggers billing dates, the customer should have some lea way on when there billing date is. After all they are the ones purchasing programming. I really dont want to do the Credit card autopay thing because where my credit cards are now with a zero dollar balance is where I want to keep them, plus I dont want any monthly interest being applied. If push comes to shove, I guess Ill do it.

I ran into the same problem, goaliebob...wanted to change the billing date to be earlier in the month rather than near the end of the month. They can't do it. The CSR told me it's in their computer system based on the date service first began. I wanted to do the exact same thing, get my credit card at a zero balance before the closing statement date. Their charge doesn't post until after the closing statement day each month.

It's a bummer, but I can live with it...

buyers remorse is only applies for something you bought, as in something you would own. you do not own the leased equip, you do not own the programming you receive, and activations fees cannot be owned either.

so what exactly are you buying that can be returned for buyers remorse? you cannot return a subscription service that is non- tangible.

now on a flex promotion there is BRM, as the equip is owned. but guess what, out of the 149.00 you pay for the 311, you only get 50.00 back when you return the rec under BRM within 30 days. the 99.00 activation fee is non-refundable as it is not a tangible product.

Ok, so I was wrong on this point, after researching a bit, its a 3 day right to recession. (legal speak) At one time dish had a 30 day satisfaction policy, but quickly pulled it after too many customers were using it to their advantage. While I can care less what the policy really is as, im sticking with dish anyhow for the next few years, the issue still remains why not work with customers to help them more easily make payments especially in this hard economic times. I took a huge paycut from my last job to the one Im at now, If I was making the money that I was before, I wouldn't have an issue paying it with my mortgage. The fact is dish needs to make people aware of this and ask them at signup when they want there billing date to be, and prorate it on the first bill.

Put your dish bill on your credit card and pay it when it comes due. THen you don't need to worry about making DISH change your bill due dates. I have had auto credit card pay on my account for years and it works just fine. I use my credit card for my utility bills , food , gas etc. I pay it once a month and I don't have to write checks for anything but my rent once a month.

Put your dish bill on your credit card and pay it when it comes due. THen you don't need to worry about making DISH change your bill due dates. I have had auto credit card pay on my account for years and it works just fine. I use my credit card for my utility bills , food , gas etc. I pay it once a month and I don't have to write checks for anything but my rent once a month.

That's what I do and I get also get cashback from the credit card company.

You guys are missing the point. Its not that I cant budget, because I can. Its just when the dates align up, dont align properly with the budgeting, and you would think dish would want to work with the coustmer to fix this.

Nope; I got your first point just fine:

Adding custom payment dates to a billing system that's already in place is a horribly complicated thing. It's usually easier to just buy a new billing system and implement it [instead].

the customer should have some lea way on when there billing date is. After all they are the ones purchasing programming.

This "pick your pay" thing is a pretty recent advent; less than 5 years since I saw the first Chase ads on TV, and my local utility companies STILL don't do it. I really doubt that the billing system Dish has (and have likely used since launch in 1996) can adjust it without deleting your account and rebuilding it.

Honestly, Bob, when was the last time you saw Dish do something for the sake of retaining customers? Sure, they'll give this guy ten bucks a month or that guy free premiums for a quarter, but long-term retention is not something at which Dish excels. Why would they move your billing date? To save you money on late charges (that cost them nothing)? What if you get really pissed off, and cancel your contract (which triggers an ETF event, which costs them nothing and puts $200 or so on their bottom line)? What if you don't have a contract (which means they never had any leverage against you to start with)?

I really dont want to do the Credit card autopay thing because where my credit cards are now with a zero dollar balance is where I want to keep them, plus I dont want any monthly interest being applied. If push comes to shove, I guess Ill do it.

If you pay the credit card company in less than 30 days, you still have a zero balance without interest or finance charges, making this argument a moot point. Unless you're really under more water than you're letting on here, which brings me back to my second point from my first response.

Nope; I got your first point just fine:

This "pick your pay" thing is a pretty recent advent; less than 5 years since I saw the first Chase ads on TV, and my local utility companies STILL don't do it. I really doubt that the billing system Dish has (and have likely used since launch in 1996) can adjust it without deleting your account and rebuilding it.

Honestly, Bob, when was the last time you saw Dish do something for the sake of retaining customers? Sure, they'll give this guy ten bucks a month or that guy free premiums for a quarter, but long-term retention is not something at which Dish excels. Why would they move your billing date? To save you money on late charges (that cost them nothing)? What if you get really pissed off, and cancel your contract (which triggers an ETF event, which costs them nothing and puts $200 or so on their bottom line)? What if you don't have a contract (which means they never had any leverage against you to start with)?

If you pay the credit card company in less than 30 days, you still have a zero balance without interest or finance charges, making this argument a moot point. Unless you're really under more water than you're letting on here, which brings me back to my second point from my first response.

Your right about dish and not excelling at long term customer retention. My issue with the credit cards is I dont want the charges going to the card in the first place. Yea there might not be an interest or finance charge if I pay it off in the first 30 days, but who's to stop the credit card comapany's from blindly changing that policy or changing their terms of service. I try to stay away from credit cards when ever I can because I have been burnt from them in the past and their deceptive practices. And no im not under water, Im just trying to stay afloat and come out even better once I can move on to something better. Im just trying to work and manage to keep myself from going under while times are tough.

Just to be clear, I don't mean anything personal (aside from great work here and on the podcast ;)). I COMPLETELY understand where you're coming from. I spent three days playing CSR roulette (and an hour (!) in a web chat) trying to find somebody to let me back down to Dish America. I know what belt-tightening is like, and I'm done with credit cards, too.

You seem to be missing the point regarding budgeting.

With a budget, every bill is accounted for and is paid on time. The money coming in is accounted for and the money going out is accounted for. There is also money set aside for 'rainy' days, or for vacations, home improvements, car repairs, etc. Perhaps you are living beyond your means and should cut back somewhere. If money is so tight that you have to wait for the next paycheck to pay your bills, moving the due date will do nothing to help the situation.

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, only trying to help.

Bob did say he had suffered a pay cut. I've been cutting, too, like going from AT200+PlatHD+Starz to Turbo Bronze; net result being half the bill I'm used to...

I have a credit card through my credit union. I recommend anyone who doesn't belong, to join a local credit union. There are no slippery bank fees , over charges, minimum balance or a fees . I can manage my credit union account online and it is linked with my credit card too. So I add up my bills on paper and add a payment for those expected bills online to my credit card account at the first of the month when I get paid. Then as the bills hit they debit away the substantial credit balance I already applied to my credit card. I never have to pay interest because I always have a credit. It works great with auto credit card charges I've already setup on my utility bills, etc. I have a record for all charges online for my credit card too. Unlike the dish account , my credit card will allow me to change my due date on my bill.

who's to stop the credit card comapany's from blindly changing that policy or changing their terms of service.

Bob, this is not something to worry about. The minute that credit cards start charging interest or fees to the purchaser before they get thier bill and can pay it off is the day that the credit card industry dies. This would be a fundemental change in the credit card industry and would take enough time to happen that you could adjust for your "problem" at that point.

Here is what I don't understand. If you moved your due date back half a month, then you would owe 1.5 months when your next bill came right? Can you afford to pay that? If so then just pay 1.5 times your bill for 2 months and you have effectively done exactly what you want to do by applying a 1 month credit to your bill. Then you can pay with the check that you want to each month and you'll be on time (actually early) each month. Problem solved.

On a side note, I agree with some of the others. I love ya man, and appreciate everything that you do, but I agree, if you don't have enough cushion to pay your dish bill (I'm assuming $150 or less) then you should probably reconsider if you really need dish at this time. Please don't get yourself in a situation where you can't afford to pay for some other unexpected cost (like a car accident, a broken furnace, or a broken hot water heater). It is only a matter of time before something happens (hey as a fellow home owner, trust me, I know).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)