Dish$

Callisto

Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
Atlanta
I'm going to do something a bit different than the topics I've read on this forum. I'm going to show exactly how much I've spent on Dish over the years.

What I am not going to do is provide additional detail as to what my programming level is/was at any point, how many receivers I have etc. Just as when you are seated on a commercial flight, the stranger sitting adjacent to you may have spent way more or way less, depending on when they purchased their tickets, their final destination and point of origin, etc.

Like many of you, I have had this feeling that satellite service is becoming excessively pricey so I ran a report. Here are the results.
'Year $ amount spent on Dish that year.

'97 $778
'98 $83
'99 $564
'00 $923
'01 $598
'02 $616
'03 $652
'04 $712
'05 $603
'06 $632
'07 $758
'08 $884
'09 $978
'10 $910
'11 $843
'12 $905
'13 $950
'14 $ 833

That covers 18 years, over which I have both owned or leased receivers, changed programming and added/dropped premiums or participated in certain Dish promotions.

That rounds to $13,200 and averages $734/year or $61/mo. There were a few interesting and unexpected things. Before I ran the report I might have expected last year to be the most expensive single year but it was not, that was several years ago. What is more telling is that it has been more than eight years since a single year has cost less than my yearly average to this point.

Overall, I believe that Dish was a better value than other alternatives for me. I was an early adopter when the company was a fledgling and it valued loyalty and retention far more than it does now. That's ironic in that their is more competition for the entertainment dollar now than in years past. I have changed too, my interests and viewing habits are different than what they were when I first signed on with Dish.

I am forecasting that 2015 to be the costliest of all, but intend to make changes rather than keep things as they are. In other words, an actualization of the law of demand which the report and forecast confirmed for me.

And there are people who think we are chumps paying even one penny for TV. Yet, some of those "superior than thee" go to yard sales every weekend and BUY the most stupid things they NEVER use. Why do you plan ever weekend to spend money?" I asked. Stay home and SAVE money. Further, they really OVER-spend on the other things they value that you or I would never value.

I have to say to each his own. I would not criticize how anyone CHOOSES to spend their money. Obviously, TV has some importance to those who spend money for it. While another person views the tens of thousands spent on a model train scene is "kooky." Bless all the people who spend money on the things that bring them joy and for what economics calls "satisfaction."

What would really be interesting is if we could see the same data, but for competing sat and cable cos.

That is incredibly telling, and well done.
Thanks, I actually left out something else which I found almost as dramatic as the $83 I spent for the whole of 1998.

Looking at just the past seven years since 2008 it's obvious by observation that spending less than $800/year is a thing of the past. The yearly average during that period has shot up to $900 or $75/mo. Despite the fact that I find those numbers to be competitive if not better than other providers, the value for me is diminishing.

Pricing the competition is complicated by the industry practice of introductory based pricing and it's been a while since I have attempted to delve into that, but Dish pricing has been in line if not better than some of the friends or family that have cable or Directv. I have also seen some information that some cord cutters aren't realizing the savings they had imagined.

I'm not planning on cutting the cord completely, but in my view the diminishing value isn't being driven by Dish's increases, but rather by awful programming from the content providers. In short, I detest what has happened with tv in recent years. I recall being enthusiastic about the addition of new channels over the years, The Learning Channel, Discovery, History, Travel etc.

It's rather irksome that all of those channels are unrecognizable vestiges of their former selves. Even the weather channel has become a reality show waste bin. Anyone remember "Headline News?" Dish and other providers like to tout the number of channels they offer while it's undeniable that provider costs have dropped in switching to the reality format, yet our bills continue to rise. I do know that those cost increases are driven by just a few networks.

Those prices might not be so bad if the programming were still there, but it no longer is, just the channel positions and their names. I'm going to assume that the demand driven model is behind so many providers offering reality shows at their core, but I'm clearly not in that market.

Enough! (End rant)

I'll agree. There is a lot of junk on the channels, that once played material worth a damn. For me, the biggest thing was the transition in wrestling from wrestling to PG13 Sports Entertainment.

For me, the biggest thing was the transition in wrestling from wrestling to PG13 Sports Entertainment.

Ha! The biggest change for me was the substitution of wrestling for science fiction on the formerly SciFi channel. Or the substitution of pseudoscience and wall-to-wall reality pap on the Discovery family of (formerly science-related) channels. Real dragons? Yeah, sure.

Reactions: dare2be and osu1991
I actually agree with that. I hate it being on SyFy, and it should stick to the channels it belongs... Spike, USA, WGN, TNT and TBS. That's all I can think of, but I'm sure there are more that should host it.

Reactions: TheKrell
And there are people who think we are chumps paying even one penny for TV. Yet, some of those "superior than thee" go to yard sales every weekend and BUY the most stupid things they NEVER use. .

OK I bite.....name me 3.

As for the topic on hand, personally I find Dish's prices too expensive for my blood. My mental cut off is 50$ and I always cringe when I see what some folks here pay for it.

I still remember the AT20 for 24.99$

My grandparents, my sister in law, and most of my friends. Friends would rather spend money every night at the bar trying to escape the loneliness of their life. I stand by my generation is quite sad.

Reactions: Mojo Jojo
My grandparents, my sister in law, and most of my friends. Friends would rather spend money every night at the bar trying to escape the loneliness of their life. I stand by my generation is quite sad.

It is quite true that others spend money on other entertainment that costs usually more if not as much as what we pay for TV service. People drink, smoke, gamble, etc. Everyone has their own form(s) of entertainment I suppose. I am not trying to bash anyone. When you take those things into consideration, the money for TV may not seem as bad. Also, some people enjoy eating out all the time at restaurants. All which costs $ as well. I suppose you only live once....I am not saying go spend all your money today, but you cannot take it with you....It is nice to save some money for a rainy day...

If you are not satisfied with your programming and what you are paying, then I think you need to evaluate your choices. Compare channels, packages, equipment, etc. See if you can possibly lower the costs. If you are out of contract, then you may even entertain the idea of comparing to different providers or even OTA considering what you may watch on TV.

Reactions: Tampa8
I agree. I don't think any one person can tell another that they are wasting their money on something they enjoy. (Except the friends at the bars, that end up going broke at the end of the month, and say they have nothing to show for it... Every month.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts