Dishnet Hopper sound level

Slcpapa41

Original poster
Sep 27, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Hi,
I have found that recently, I have had to raise the sound level on my TV more than I did before. This is evident in most of the programs. I am using a fiber optic cable to send the digital out audio to my receiver. On many programs, I have to raise the level so much that I am nearing the top end of my headroom on the receiver. I have made sure that it is not the receiver by playing a CD from my player, which is also connected with a fiber optic cable. Everything is as usual for that. It seems that both the audio over the HDMI and the direct connection have lost volume level. I have contacted Dishnet Tech support; but, they were no help. Do you have any idea why this is happening? My first thought is the Hopper has some problem.
Thanks

Hi,
I have found that recently, I have had to raise the sound level on my TV more than I did before. This is evident in most of the programs. I am using a fiber optic cable to send the digital out audio to my receiver. On many programs, I have to raise the level so much that I am nearing the top end of my headroom on the receiver. I have made sure that it is not the receiver by playing a CD from my player, which is also connected with a fiber optic cable. Everything is as usual for that. It seems that both the audio over the HDMI and the direct connection have lost volume level. I have contacted Dishnet Tech support; but, they were no help. Do you have any idea why this is happening? My first thought is the Hopper has some problem.
Thanks
I have observed the same thing, specifically in the last few days, I have had to raise the volume higher than normal.

Reactions: joegr and pattykay
Have you changed the audio settings in the Hopper menu? I think you want auto volume and Dolby off, or PCM and set the range to wide. I’ll look at mine when I get home

Have you changed the audio settings in the Hopper menu? I think you want auto volume and Dolby off, or PCM and set the range to wide. I’ll look at mine when I get home
Unless you are just listening via TV speakers, you most certainly want Dolby ON.

Reactions: Bobby
Settle down KAB, don't get so jumpy. I said I had to look at mine and I simply forgot last night.,

Dolby On
Auto Leveling Off
Dynamic Range Wide

First of all, I am happy to hear that I am not the only one who has noticed this occurring.
I have been using the same settings from when I first got the Hopper. My receiver uses a digital countdown panel for the volume control, meaning it starts at 50.0 Db and as you raise the volume it get lower as you use up the headroom. Normal levels for the Hopper had been in the 40.00 to 30.0 range, until recently. Lately, it has been in the 20.0 to 30.0 range. I have the volume limited to 20.0 . So, it is getting too close to the top of my safe zone. A CD usually plays around 40.0 Db. I use that comparison to see that the signal strength coming from the 'Hopper's optical digital out' is quite a bit lower than that coming from a CD player. Of course, the TV volume level setting has also increased. My thoughts are that the actual 'digital audio signal output level' coming from the Hopper has decreased for some reason. Either the digital audio satellite signal has diminished or its the Hopper.

FWIW: I typically have the volume level on my AVR on approximately the same setting with my Hopper3 as I did with my Genie HR54. The same is true for my soundbar in the bedroom.

My volume control started doing the same thing in the last few days. My HWS is usually set at 32, but the last few days, I have had to raise it to 38 to get the same volume.

Reactions: pattykay
I had the same thing happen last week on my VIP211k. Volume went way down. I had to go in and turn off auto leveling for it to return to normal. I'm confused about how this involves Dishnet, though. I don't use Dishnet so don't understand the connection.

My last posted update was 9/1/17. My sound started acting up 3 or 4 days ago. SO, what has the last known update got to do with the sound problem?

For me audio level varies by channel and requires constant attention. Local stations are particularly bad. NBC is very, very low with CBS a little better requiring little boost. Can't really comment on ABC since I watch virtually nothing there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts