DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - 4/9/2008 1:00pm - 178 changes

Did you read the article? Out of 1,002 people, only 41% owned an HDTV (411 people). Out of those people, only 56% were hooked up to an HD source (230 people). So out of 1,002 people, only 230 are actually watching HD programming. How does that support his argument again?

If I'm a marketing guy and I see these numbers, I see that nearly 1/4 of all TV owners subscribe to HD service. Then I'd look to see who leads the way in HD service and would find out that D* is mopping the floor with everybody across the board. So when 1 in 4 new customers starts looking for service, I'm thinking the vast majority would go with D*, which is a big chunk of missing change if I don't at least keep up with the Joneses.

6300(7) - WABC [MPEG4 SD] added to Echostar12 61.5 TP 15 Area 6 beam (Available)(New York, NY)
6301(2) - WCBS [MPEG4 SD] added to Echostar12 61.5 TP 15 Area 6 beam (Available)(New York, NY)
6302(4) - WNBC [MPEG4 SD] added to Echostar12 61.5 TP 15 Area 6 beam (Available)(New York, NY)
6303(5) - WNYW [MPEG4 SD] added to Echostar12 61.5 TP 15 Area 6 beam (Available)(New York, NY)

It says available.

I believe ESPN and others were copied to 61.5 last week as SD mpeg4. That said available. They are not. Someone said it might have to do with encryption on the VIP rec when eastern arc launches. Seems like a solid theory.

Anyone know why when I call Dish to have them point me at 61.5 to get the Cleveland Locals they tell me there not available until after May sometime? Not understanding this at all?

I believe ESPN and others were copied to 61.5 last week as SD mpeg4. That said available. They are not. Someone said it might have to do with encryption on the VIP rec when eastern arc launches. Seems like a solid theory.

Darn. I am really interested to see how the MPEG4 sd looks.

I'd like to say congrats to all the new HD LiLs, especially Cleveland. I tend not to complain about HD because I mean, Denver was one of the first to get HD LiL (wonder why :)) As far as national HD goes, Webster's may have to rewrite the definitions of patience and soon, soon. We've come this far... hopefully we'll be rewarded soon.

I tend not to complain either. Honestly I am getting more from Dish now than what I initially signed up for (and for cheaper). I'm not going to flip out over 1 channel, or 1 show, or whatever. If I really wanted to watch USA-HD, then I would go to DirecTV.

If I can't switch because of a contract, than perhaps I should not have signed that contract in the first place, knowing the company didn't offer what I was looking for. I was never under the assumption when I signed up that I would be provided with more channels, so if I get them I'll be grateful on that day. Until then I'll enjoy the channels that I signed up for.

My brother in law has a tube HD set, he thinks, he also has TW cable but when I look at his picture it looks stretched like my 42" plasma looks when I stretch it it does not look like HD.
He swearers that he is getting HD and he comlpains about the picture he gets.
He says that the people look fat. He also will not let my son come over and check it out for him.
To top it all off when I had him at my house and he looked behind my plasma TV he asked me where the rest of it was.

Anyone know why when I call Dish to have them point me at 61.5 to get the Cleveland Locals they tell me there not available until after May sometime? Not understanding this at all?

From what I've seen posted before CSR's don't usually know about the new channels for a day or so after they're available. I would try again tomorrow.

My brother in law has a tube HD set, he thinks, he also has TW cable but when I look at his picture it looks stretched like my 42" plasma looks when I stretch it it does not look like HD.
He says that the people look fat. He also will not let my son come over and check it out for him.
To top it all off when I had him at my house and he looked behind my plasma TV he asked me where the rest of it was.

LOL

If I'm a marketing guy and I see these numbers, I see that nearly 1/4 of all TV owners subscribe to HD service. Then I'd look to see who leads the way in HD service and would find out that D* is mopping the floor with everybody across the board. So when 1 in 4 new customers starts looking for service, I'm thinking the vast majority would go with D*, which is a big chunk of missing change if I don't at least keep up with the Joneses.

If I'm a marketing guy in that position what I do is promise a bunch of new HD channels coming "soon", get people signed up under contract to buy time until my company can deliver. ;)

It's a proven tactic, D* did it for 2 years.

NightRyder

Satelliteguys: "Charlie owes us some national HD."

10103080a_b~Gene-Wilder-Willy-Wonka-the-Chocolate-Factory-Posters.jpg

Charlie: "Wrong, sir! Wrong! Under section 37B of the contract signed by you, it states quite clearly that all offers shall become null and void if - and you can read it for yourself in this photostatic copy - "I, the undersigned, shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein and herein contained," et cetera, et cetera...”Fax mentis incendium gloria cultum," et cetera, et cetera...”Memo bis punitor delicatum!" It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal! So you get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!"

So I cant schedule an appointment for them to install a new dish until then? Cuz someone on another post said he called around noon and they have him scheduled for an install.

If I'm a marketing guy in that position what I do is promise a bunch of new HD channels coming "soon", get people signed up under contract to buy time until my company can deliver. ;)

It's a proven tactic, D* did it for 2 years.

NightRyder

Like when E* said Austin HD locals were coming in 2006;)

I was at my in laws this weekend and they were convinced that since they have D* HD that ALL channels were in HD. They also had the image stretched out all funny for the SD and HD channels so every thing looked like crap. But they didn't seem to mind and didn't want me to try and fix it either. Oh well.

Did you read the article? Out of 1,002 people, only 41% owned an HDTV (411 people). Out of those people, only 56% were hooked up to an HD source (230 people). So out of 1,002 people, only 230 are actually watching HD programming. How does that support his argument again?

Did you read his original post? He said, "That may be true of a small number of HDTV buyers, but I would guess the majority of them understand the difference between SD and HD channels."

He's talking about HDTV owners, not all TV viewers. Yes, 230 out of 1,002 people watching HDTV is pathetic, but what he said about a majority of HDTV owners understanding the difference between SD and HD channels is apparently true, since according to this report, 56% of them (HDTV owners) have HD programming.

It's also disappointing to see on the same site that cable companies are offering HD channels we can't get. Hear that Dish, cable companies are beating you now! ;)

// ScottA

The problem is, at least in my area, is the ridiculous price that the cable company wants to charge you. For everything I have now with E*, Comcast would charge me almost $40 more per month to get the same. It's not worth it for a few extra HD channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)