DishONLINE Download Speed

Wow!!!
I am new to Dish...and find the download speeds for Dishonline to be horrible!
I see posts here that go back several years that say they are working on it....I guess they are not.
I have FIOS internet and have VERY fast bandwidth....Still I normally get 4 mbps downloads from Dishonline....and don't get me started on the user interface.

I would think that with streaming content becoming more popular, that Dish would add some attention to this area. It almost makes me consider going back to cable!

Are you Kidding me? Dish online speeds are great when compared to Itunes or any other place I download from! IM on a comcast 50 meg connection and I consistently get 6 to 8 megs! Some places on the internet you dont even get a meg!

I get anywhere from 2-4.5mb on my dishonline download speeds. I have the 6mb DSL package from AT&T and never have a problem with it.

Not a problem here.

Right now I'm getting between 2.75 & 3 on a 10 meg line that is running just a bit over 8.5 right now. could there be a problem with the set up of the router on FIOS ?

Are you Kidding me? Dish online speeds are great when compared to Itunes or any other place I download from! IM on a comcast 50 meg connection and I consistently get 6 to 8 megs! Some places on the internet you dont even get a meg!

I would like to know why some people get fast speeds from DishOnline and others don't. I have 15 down 2 up from TimeWarner. Speedtest.net tests show my connection can get up close to near 30 down at certain times of the day. I can download almost anything off of itunes and pretty much anywhere else so quick it amazes me, yet DishOnline usually shows "Stalled" or at 1 mbs. The service is worthless as far as I am concerned.

It also could be that Dish has poor interconnectivity with some backbones. Depending which ISP one uses, you could see a big difference in speed. Companies like Google put fiber and connections everywhere they can to speed up transfers. Dish probably has the transport contracted out to a company that has connections across the country, but depending on the agreements with your ISP (or their connections) you see different speeds.

I was playing around a while back and was getting the stalled up to 1 meg or so via the Homeplug which works through my APC battery backup. I then connected the 622 to a wall wart to use the power line/ethernet route. Same speed. Connected a lap top and went to testmy.net and got 5 megs through that wall wart. Hmmmm. Looked at my router and both the Homeplug and ethernet connection were assigned an IP. Checked the broadband connection and the Homeplug IP was reported. So I kept renewing the broadband connection until it showed the ethernet connection's IP. Tried the download from Dish and got 4 to 4.5 megs. After playing around for a while I decided the Homeplug is the default connection on the 622 and there's no way to set the ethernet port as default.

No big thing for me because the only thing I ever download is the free music videos. And only occasionally for those.

Maybe I'm spoiled....
I am an IT professional and may have heightened expectations. Or maybe it is because I know what can/should be available and am confused as to the apparent lack of investment.
Judging from the dates of some of the posts on this subject, customers have been looking for more for some time. Both speed and User interface improvements.

Maybe I'm spoiled....
I am an IT professional and may have heightened expectations. Or maybe it is because I know what can/should be available and am confused as to the apparent lack of investment.
Judging from the dates of some of the posts on this subject, customers have been looking for more for some time. Both speed and User interface improvements.

It appears to be more of a check box item for Dish:

Check - We have online downloads of shows, PPV, etc. Just like the competition

If it works or not does not really matter, the feature is there to sell!

Now only if they would make stuff orginaized instead of having everything on one list DishOnline would be cool. (And they need to lower their prices on their movies.)

I have to go with Scott on this one. The DishOnline is such a pain to use and is way too expensive. Guess that is why I bought a blu-ray player that has built in Netflix streaming. With Netflix, you go online and build up your instant watch queue and then it shows up on your dvd player (xbox and PS3 as well I think) in a nice list with a photo of the DVD cover. Much easier and works perfectly. Also, I had Comcast a few years ago and their online stuff was much better organized and a lot of it was free.

agreed,

dishonline blows. unorganized, slow (on their end), UI sucks.

It takes them forever to download and I have constant 20meg+ down cable. Have the dish box hard wired Ethernet.

needs some work.

agreed,

dishonline blows. unorganized, slow (on their end), UI sucks.

It takes them forever to download and I have constant 20meg+ down cable. Have the dish box hard wired Ethernet.

needs some work.

I have the same view.

I have a 15Mbps connection and my 622 hardwired into the router.

For some reason dish is restricting download speeds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts