DishONLINE

jbman73175

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2004
I just got the vip622 installed yesterday and noticed as I was surfing the E* website in the vip622 section something about DishONLINE (Interactive menus to be exact) Is this just pre-homezone crap or is there something on the horizon that would give non-ATT subsribers some sort of IPTV capability?

BTW forgive me if this has been started somewhere else. Please direct me if so.

Last edited:
I may be wrong, but I suspect what you were reading about is the ViP 622 interactive capabilities, some of which are used via a phone line.

Channel 100 either keying it in directly or by the DISH key on the remote will bring you to "Dish Home" which will download various things, where you can select different things, including Instant Weather from AccuWeather. You can set up Cities and it will get the weather for those cities.

I believe they call it interactive, because it responds to your requests, but the info is already being sent through the satellite and you are just filtering it out; and the receiver is not actually sending out any requests.

Also, at the main menu, you can select 1-Service, and then select 1-Customer Support to get another list of items. Some of these choices are either built into the receiver or it downloads from the satellite. But at least a couple of the options require that your telephone line be connected, so that it can dial out and get the info, such as "Pay Your DISH Network Bill.

Hope this is correct and helps.

EDIT: Dish Home takes a few moments or more to download, as well as to cancel out of it. I find the quickest way to get away from Dish Home is to hit the RECALL button on the remote.
It is possible in the future that the ViP 622 may be able to connect to a broadband internet connection with the onboard ethernet port or the USB port, but I doubt it, they have been saying Satellite Internet for their receivers for almost 10 years now.

Last edited:
No this has nothing to do with what I am talking about.

Please click this link http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/content/tech/menus/622/mainmenu.shtml and do the following...

After clicking the link it will bring up a mock screen from the 622
click on Dish On Demand
You will then see the next menu which says DishONLINE (A feature that doesn't actually show up on my 622) Click this...

Read the statement (which raises more questions...) and then click I agree...

And then click around...

Does anyone know if this feature is something really yet future or does homzone replace this?

Great Find!

Wow, this looks extremely promising as potentially a real 'on demand' service.

It looks like they (dish web masters) have just started building the 'IPTV' portion, it currently says:

IPTV
Banner

IPTV content Goes Here

Not positive if the content was modified recently, but the framework was:
*** Last Modified : $Date: 30 Nov 2006 09:47:48 $

IPTV turns up zero results using the dish web search

But there is some mention here ... check:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/forumdisplay.php?f=52

Hey I want to at least try this stuff .. bring it dish!

Looks like they put something out on the web before they actually released it!

God, I hope this doesn't screw up my 622!! :eek:

(I know, always the pessimist, but E* always keeps you on the edge of your chair wondering what the next software revision will do!) :D

I am surprised that this find has not generated more discussion. It is a pretty significant upgrade - since it takes advantage of an internet broadband connection; it suggests that the infamous ethernet port on the 622 might actually be used for something.

Before they pull the info, I grabbed the screens (good find!)

Here you go!

Attachments

• dishondmnd.jpg
    dishondmnd.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 1,030
  • dishonline_warning.jpg
    dishonline_warning.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 844
  • dishonline_thtr_srchRS.jpg
    dishonline_thtr_srchRS.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 726
  • dishonline_thtr_srch.jpg
    dishonline_thtr_srch.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 866
  • dishonline_thtr.jpg
    dishonline_thtr.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 814
  • dishonline_rent.jpg
    dishonline_rent.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 818
  • dishonline_nwrls.jpg
    dishonline_nwrls.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 948
  • dishonline.jpg
    dishonline.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 993
Cool find, but WTF is up with the titles on some of that stuff? laff, I don't know if I want it if it has that stuff on it.

Hippos Gone Wild... rated R?

Wow! I can't believe I actually helped with something!!:p I couldn't believe it when I pulled up Satelliteguys and there was my name on the front pages :tears: "I'd like to thank the academy..."

Honestly I thought you guys were going to yell at me and redirect me to some other string where everybody's pissing and moaning about yet another promised feature that has yet to come to pass...

Glad I could help... I am psyched if it comes to pass though!!!:hungry: for content!!!

Looks interesting on the surface, but I agree that I wouldn't get too excited at this point...USB Storage, CinemaxHD, RSN HD, national HD this fall, DishComm, etc.

Looks interesting on the surface, but I agree that we all should get very excited at this point...USB Storage, CinemaxHD, RSN HD, national HD this fall, DishComm, etc

Well, yeah... we should not get too excited, but it looks like there actually is a software beta of this. And it managed to get on their website.... its obviously in the works.

WOW!

I hope this is a near term thing, and not 3 more years in the making. I also hope it doesn't really take 14 days and 2 hours to download "The Happy Dog has Smelly Feet."

Some more screenshots...

Here are some more screen shots. That web simulation works for a LOT of features.

Under installation there is a new button for Broadband Setup. See the attached screenshots..

This looks like a LOT more than mere vaporware!!!

EDIT: Here is one more screenshot.

Attachments

• broadband-setup1.jpg
    broadband-setup1.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 485
  • broadbandsetup2.jpg
    broadbandsetup2.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 507
  • broadband_ntsetup.jpg
    broadband_ntsetup.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 507
  • broadband_ntsetup_rs.jpg
    broadband_ntsetup_rs.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 472
Last edited:
Good find. I hope having the ethernet port operational will allow the "phone home" to happen via the Internet. Goodbye phone line!

Well maybe this will work with the 211's as well and the USB Storage could work with the 211 and 411 since they have USB Ports.

Is the 522 really the same as a 625??

DishHD Rebate Doubled?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts