DishONLINE

If their systems are powerful enough they could implement a Divx or Xvid decoder and decrease the size dramatically. That may affect the quality but it would still be a good idea.

Average mpeg2 HD movie would be around 9gig. Assuming a 3Mbit connection, it would take over 6 hours to download. I would assume they would use mpeg4 and cut that size down a bit, but it'd still be a couple of hours.

Not to mention the bandwidth usage. They'd probably charge more $$ for HD content.

And that assumes a constant bitrate on the transfer; which given the internet, is probably not likely.

What they need is FREE on-demand also, like Comcast has. Some things are charged for but alot of the content is free. This all looks like rental content which I won't use. But repeats of network shows (abc, cbs etc on demand) - HBO, Cinemax, Showtime & Starz on demand free to subscriber, then I would probably use it. But rent movies, no.

Average mpeg2 HD movie would be around 9gig.
No .... a DVD holds 8.47gb and not all DVDs 'fill' the disc. I would suspect any VOD offerings would be 'movie only', i.e no extras, special features, deleted scenes, games, etc, etc. Most movies nowadays range from 3 to 6 gb.

What they need is FREE on-demand also, like Comcast has. Some things are charged for but alot of the content is free. This all looks like rental content which I won't use. But repeats of network shows (abc, cbs etc on demand) - HBO, Cinemax, Showtime & Starz on demand free to subscriber, then I would probably use it. But rent movies, no.
I agree 100% here. And I also hope they offer subscription VOD services such as WWE 24/7 and HowardTV.

I expect no hi-def.

ISPs are gonna freak over this (and the STB Netflix). Comcast is not gonna like you sucking huge amounts of bandwidth to support a service in direct competition.

Comcast (in some areas) has already started hasseling the top 10% bandwidth users....

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04033/268244.stm

AND PLEASE: Get external storage working before messing with this "feature" (of course as a new revenue stream, this probably has priority).

This might be why external storage has been delayed. To ensure it works with internet downloads and also with the ViP211 as a DVR & VOD.

Again I refer everyone to [URL="http://www.sbc.com/gen/general?pid=7910&DCMP=att_homezone#" target =_blank]homezone[/URL] as a reference point.

AT&T doesn't seem to have bandwith concerns. If there were very large concerns why haven't they shut down companies like Movielink and CinemaNow? This stuff is not going to be free, so people will use it like Blockbuster, only without the drive. It is simply On-Demand PPV, will it take bandwith, yes. But it's not like people are going to be downloading 24/7. The people it will affect most and first is their own network. If they are constantly downlading movies, then they will notice the lag in their own system...IMHO anyway.

No Longer Access DishONLINE in Interactive Menu

I guess we created enough of a buzz they took it down.

Since they are planning to use the ethernet connection, I think it would be nice to have an application developed for your home PC so you can use the ethernet to archive shows to one central HDD. This content would be available from any receiver plugged into the network. This to me would be a better solution than a external usb drive at only one box.
I second this motion. :up

Yep-
This is just another rumor - like the RSN's, the Weather Channel scam, hmmm..let's see what else....

if DishOnline is a rumor, some one went to some effort to program the beta software for the 622 for it, and then accidentally post it publicly. They obviously are working on it.

No .... a DVD holds 8.47gb and not all DVDs 'fill' the disc. I would suspect any VOD offerings would be 'movie only', i.e no extras, special features, deleted scenes, games, etc, etc. Most movies nowadays range from 3 to 6 gb.

DVD's range from roughly 4.5 (single layer, single sided) to 18 (dual layer, dual sided). Most disc's are in the 9ish range (dual layer, single sided), but that's with several audio codecs and tons of extras. I agree that most movies are probably around that range depending on the audio codec. Converting it to MPEG4 may decrease their size more since DVD's still use MPEG2 if I remember correctly.

I can only hope they do this. With a 6mb pipe I can't wait to down load movies. I wont get to excited though....

I have a 6mb pipe and download movies from xbox marketplace all the time. It barely takes anytime at all. It's cool. They even have HD movies as well. There are only 51 right now but I'm sure more will be added soon.

Your missing the big picture.

Whats possible here is for you to watch ANY movie or Television show, when you want.

Thats ultimately what this technology can give you.

He may be seeing the "bigger" picture beyond the "big" picture.

The potential of technology is always great but in the hands of Dish Network it often amounts to no more than a faster way to move the same old dogshit.:D

Dish Online could be used for HD fairly easliy and not too much bandwidth.

HD in mpeg4 gives bandwidth savings now with real-time encoders.

Online VOD content does not need to be real-time encoded.

With multi-pass encoding you can get better PQ with a smaller bitrate.

SD in mpeg4 could easily get down to 800 kbps and HD at 10Mbps

Is the 522 really the same as a 625??

DishHD Rebate Doubled?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts