DishPlayer 7200 and Superdish eventually?

Sat-Family

Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
After seeing the newer MSNTv client 17000 that was released, and the reports of 7200 with the newer Yellow smart card, could Dish have Superdish support in the cards?

Is the receiver's hardware unable to do it, or "if" a software update was provided, could the 7200 then support a SuperDish?

What do you think it would take to help convince Dish to provide a SuperDish solution for us Dishplayer users? With all of it's features and the current stability, I don't want to get rid of mine.

Curious if the rumored one dish for locals legislation may be a prompt for this. If it would support SuperDish, then I'll be happy!

I suspect that wew ill be forced to upfgade to either anon DVR or a 510.

Geronimo,

If they use a wing sat solution for locals, what kind of impact would that have? Can the 7200 receive all the Sat's except for the FSS at 105 or 121?

Thanks!

It cannot handle 105 or 121. If your locals are tehre you wll either losr the ability to watch on the DP or you will need to get a replacement.

I asked in another thread and was told that I might get a 301. Not much. A discount on a PVR seems more appropriate. I dont expect a brand new DVR free of charge. But a reduced price seems fair.

Why not a free of charge on a DVR? Especially for those DishPlayer 7200 users that have hung on so long? I didn't switch at the earlier "swap" programs for $199, why would I want to now?

A 510 for free may be an acceptable replacement if they can bring Names Based Recording (NBR) soon.

When my locals were finally available via SuperDish I learned that both my receivers (DP 7200, model 5000) were not SuperDish compatable, so I moved to DirecTV. Sold my DP7200 on Ebay for enough to pay for two DirecTivos, a 'vanilla' recevier and a few bucks left over.

The buyer may be "suprised" if it was purchased at a high price for a suspected activity. This was the original driving force of the higher prices, but Dish has solved that problem.

Of course, my legit subscribed 7200 is a very nice DVR, but I wouldn't purchase another one for more than $75.00 as the life of the receiver may be limited depending on the MPEG-4 plans Dish has.

However this comes down, I still feel as though they owe me. I still use the Msntv end of my 7100 as a backup to the PC. So even if they offered me a 510 or whatever, are they going to reimburse me for the loss of the Msntv end of it? I doubt it.

I agree MIGuy. While it was a mixed result relationship, I still believe that an MSNTV with broadband capability married to a Dish DVR would still be a great solution for some.

Let's see how the new Media appliance of Microsoft's is marketed, this may become a possibility again with other vendors.

hi,

you can sort of have super dish support for 7100 & 7200's. what i have done is installed SW64 with 119, 110 & 121(36" FTA Dish) and connected it to my 7200. after switch check it shows only 119 & 110 and shows x for 121. however after taking the 15min update and listing update you can see and watch all 121 channels with 9 Day EPG on your 7200. i use legacy hardware.

thanks

So you can actually see the 121 Sat with your 7200? Does this require the 15 minute update each day of use, or just a one time thing?

If this is the only reason, then why cant the 7200 be "updated" so as to have the 121 material in the guide automatically?

Can anyone try this trick that has a 105 sat setup? Does it work for you?

If both 105 and 121 work with this manner (SW64 and stand alone FSS dish pointed at 105 or 121), then it sounds like it's only an issue with DishPro support of FSS sat's to Legacy receivers.

hi DishSatUser,

yes it realy works. i have a sw64 setup with 121 (119, 110 & 121) for my 7200. no you dont have to take the 15min update all the time, just the first time. then the ird takes the 3AM update to update u'r EPG. other than that, it works like any other ird. give it a try and let me know.

good luck