Dish's Future HD Programming Priorities

rocatman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 28, 2003
What should be Dish's priorities for future HD programming. You can indicate your preference using the letter. For me it would be DACBFE. I chose D as my top priority because I'd love to see the Cleveland Indians and Cavaliers in HD.

A) Expand the HD Package with national channels such as Bravo+, ESPN2 etc.

B) HD distant networks with the new rules that Dish wants for qualifying.

C) Additional premimum movie channels with availability similar to HBOHD and SHOWHD. (Don't think a standalone HD premimum movie channel package is contractually possible for Dish)

D) Regional Sports Networks individually and in a standalone package.

E) HD locals for X number of major markets.

F) HD PPV.

In my opinion D, B, & A.

My way to make the HD Regional sports channels work. They should have a few channels in the HD pack that are similar to the Sports alternate channels in the Sports pack. The regional sports channels only HD programming right now is live games. Use those channels to rotate live coverage of games. Include those in the PPV sports packages as well.

In time HD locals will be there, but for now if you get a network feed for each network, that fills most situations. The main problem I see is regional NFL HD coverage.

If there are national HD channels, I think they should be available.

C, A

Basically, my preference is more movies and national channels in HD. I get OTA HD locals with great picture quality, so I don't need or want them from Dish. And I'm not a sports fan, so don't care much about those channels.

These HD channels should Be ADDED

Well since VOOM -Dishe Network's competitor already has Bravo and Cinemax and STARZ in HD.I think Dish Network should get on the ball and atleast add those channels in HD as soon as possible.Dish is so slow about everything-it makes me sick !

rickbb said:
Well since VOOM -Dishe Network's competitor already has Bravo and Cinemax and STARZ in HD.I think Dish Network should get on the ball and atleast add those channels in HD as soon as possible.Dish is so slow about everything-it makes me sick !

What makes me sick is what Dish has done to the current HD PQ. Dish should not add anymore national HD channels unless the bandwidth exists to do it right! What good is having a bunch of HD channels if they all look like sh*t?

NightRyder

I don't know. Last night I was comparing standard TNT with TNT-HD while they were showing The Devil's Advocate. The difference was a good reminder of why I dump so much money into this stuff. ;) Looked great to me.

In my opinion, Dish (and all satellite providers) should look into a replacement for the MPEG2 compression codec. That way they could bump up picture quality and possibly double their HD capacity. If they applied it to Standard Definition channels as well, that could open up even more bandwidth. Let's face it, their are only so many slots for satellites and so much bandwith available for each. Broadcasting locals and HD local via satellite is stupid.

As much as I would like more HD on Dish,keep this in mind:
As far as all the movie channels
StarzHD-most of the new movies they show are not in True HD anyways,I have seen many a post at AVSForums complaining about the lack of True HD,watch Kill Bill 1 and complain about it being a upconvert.
CinemaxHD-I get HBO,if its on one it will soon be on the other,no loss, for example-X-Men 2,premiered on Max in July,premiered in Sept on HBO,Seabiscuit premiered in Aug on HBO,premieres in I think in Oct on Max,why spend the money
TMC-HD same answer but replace HBO with Showtime
And BravoHD,it is on a 2-3 day loop,who need a DVR with this channel.

Jim L said:
... Broadcasting locals and HD local via satellite is stupid.
Easy for you to say - you probably live within, say, 50 miles of a transmitter, or have cable. Nearest cable system to me is 20 miles away, and will never be closer.

There's MILLIONS of us that have NO chance whatsoever of getting a decent OTA signal or cable. Oh - and BTW, we're the ones that got this whole satellite TV thing started in the first place. ;)

B - Want the National feeds (I'm 50 miles by the crow flies from the best HDTV antenna field)

I have e-mailed Dish Network saying that I'm giving them until Nov 1st to add more HDTV or I will switch to Direct TV (and I will...)

C - I don't mind paying for compelling programming

A- I can't complain about TNT-HD but I'd like Bravo-HD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)