Dish's New Internet Offering

Yeah, at those prices and caps, it would be as a last resort. Hopefully it is good though. Still have have DirecPC nightmares....

My wife's grandparents have HughesNet and complain on how slow it is. They live in an area where the only thing they can get is satellite anything. They are about a 1/2 mile from the main road where cable would be but since there are only 5 houses on their street the cable company won't service their street.

I have told them about this and they have said when their contract with HughesNet is up this coming November they will move to this new service. They also have DISH too so they can take advantage of bundling.

Hughes will have their improved satellites up and new faster speeds available by then as well.

If they are only 5 houses from cable then why don't they just put up a pair of radios from one of those houses if they know one of them well enough and get their internet that way?

I think this new improved satellite broadband service would entice those with crappy DSL service to switch as well because some are still stuck with around 1 MB max.

Internet powered by Exede. No longer WildBlue. Available Feb. 1st. 33% higher data caps. Bundled accounts with AT120 and higher will get a $5 credit.

New customers will pay $99 upfront.
Existing customers will pay $149 upfront.
For customers that are able to pick up the new satellite they will get 12Mbps download and 3Mbs upload.
Customers picking up the existing satellite will get 5Mbps download and 1Mbps upload.

Package prices are:
$49.99 for 10GB data cap
$79.99 for 15GB data cap
$129.99 for 25GB data cap
All packages get the same speeds, you just pay more for more data.

$10/month lease fee.

imo this still isn't worth a damn. the $50 package should start at the 25gb data cap but thats just my 2 cents

Optimizing a PC is really easy anyways if you know what you're doing. I typically take the simple but brutal approach though if I'm dealing with a user that I can tell has been downloading & installing programs like crazy:

1) Back up everything in the my documents folder to an external hard drive
2) Pop in my updated & slipstreamed Windows XP/Vista/7 DVD & boot the PC from the DVD
3) Format the drive
4) Install Windows
5) Make sure the PC is up to date
6) Install eSET Anti Virus (if they're willing to pay for it) or Microsoft Security Essentials (if they're cheap)
7) Install the bare minimum of programs that they need
8) Install Firefox with adBlock & NoScript & school them on their use

Typically once I've followed that process I usually don't have to deal with software issues again, hardware is another matter entirely but in some ways simpler to deal with.

The caps are kindof low but they're a good deal higher than the caps currently available via WildBlue. For folks that only have satellite internet as an option (ie no 3G or 4G cell service available) it's not too bad. As long as you aren't doing any serious downloading or streaming you should be ok.

6) Install eSET Anti Virus (if they're willing to pay for it) or Microsoft Security Essentials (if they're cheap)
So, what does eSET provide that MSE doesn't? I wouldn't call myself "cheap", but "cost effective". My requirements for an AV suite is thorough protection with a small footprint/performance impact. All things being equal, I'll go with the lower/no cost solution, so let me know the major differences so I can make an informed decision. Most reviews I've read talk about eSET being best in class along with Kapersky, yet I've used Kapersky in the past with unsatisfactory results.

Sorry for the thread derail.

So, what does eSET provide that MSE doesn't? I wouldn't call myself "cheap", but "cost effective". My requirements for an AV suite is thorough protection with a small footprint/performance impact. All things being equal, I'll go with the lower/no cost solution, so let me know the major differences so I can make an informed decision. Most reviews I've read talk about eSET being best in class along with Kapersky, yet I've used Kapersky in the past with unsatisfactory results.

Sorry for the thread derail.

Kaspersky is just hyped up. Most people just promote it because this is what Geek Squad pushes. MSE is not great, and neither is Windows Defender. Best protection w/ small footprint is going to be AVG. It is perfect for most home users. The false positives can be annoying, but better same than sorry.

nsafreak said:
The caps are kindof low but they're a good deal higher than the caps currently available via WildBlue. For folks that only have satellite internet as an option (ie no 3G or 4G cell service available) it's not too bad. As long as you aren't doing any serious downloading or streaming you should be ok.

3g n 4g aren't really better. At least not around here. All have aprox 5gb cap for same price and still slower.

After using HughesNet for 6 years, some comments.

Satellite Internet is slow compared to DSL, FIOS, 3G/4G. It is way faster than dial-up.

For RVing, Satellite Internet is available anywhere.

I am going to assume that the caps for this new service will be like Hughesnet, meaning the Caps are on download data. All the cable and wireless caps on on data, both ways. This is not trivial. When I wanted to switch from Hughesnet with a 475 MB download per rolling 24 hour period (about 15 GB a month), I never has to worry about caps because a big chunk of my data was upload. My monthly data traffic was in the 15 GB range, way to expensive for wireless until Millenicom came out with a reasonable 10GB plan that later changed to 20GB.

Satellite Internet will never be a good delivery mechanism for video streams as the earth to space-to-earth transit time is over a second.

Satellite video is best the way satellite TV does it.

....For RVing, Satellite Internet is available anywhere.........

....Satellite Internet will never be a good delivery mechanism for video streams as the earth to space-to-earth transit time is over a second.

Satellite video is best the way satellite TV does it.

Do you find aiming a dish for satellite internet to be harder than for satellite TV?

If you're Slinging from your DVR at home, or otherwise downloading a movie, it should work well. It's the two way traffic that trips up satellite internet, no?

Any application that has to upload like gaming and Voip is bad due to latency. Most traffic just receives so if there were better caps with the great speed and consistency with that speed then it would be a pretty good service.

Do you find aiming a dish for satellite internet to be harder than for satellite TV?
Absolutely, as a transmitter not properly aimed can take out a transponder. It happened early on when Motosat ( a automatic roof mounted setup)) misaligned.

The logic in the satellite Internet modem only turns on the transmitter after a very good receive signal is determined. Even then there is a aligning mode where small bursts are sent when a command from the control center is received until the alignment is done. This phase can take up to an hour.

Hughesnet never worried about the setup time because all the installations were at fixed locations. Hughesnet never offially accepted setups moving from place to place even though they knew they were there. Hughesnet just didn't was to train CSRs on amateur installers.

So Dish is offering cap just on the download? I have WB now through WB directly, would I be able to cancel and get it through Dish?
It seems like a better deal with Dish rather than WB or Exede.
I have been with Dish since 1997 and WB since 2007.

Watch out if you are using VIOP, like Vonage and switch to Sat Broadband. The lag times make for very difficult conversations on the VOIP.