Dishstortion

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TiminMb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Resetting my dish's elevation today following 70-100 km/h winds, I observed that no matter how finely I tuned the elevation on a certain weak TP on IA5, the best I could achieve was 51 Signal Quality. However, when I placed a finger on top of the dish and pulled rearward, I could get into the 60's. Either I am somehow able to improve the tuning in elevation through leverage against the top of the dish , or the actual change in shape of the dish that was occuring fine tuned the focus. So now I'm wondering if I add a strut or two that allows me to tension the top of the dish, if I can acheive more gain. The lnb arm on this offset dish already has two side struts that keep it well centred. I may add a temporary strut running vertically from the top to the bottom of the dish and see if adding tension to it improves the gain of my antenna. I'll let you know what I observe.

I have noticed (And posted my findings here) this phenomon many times in the field. Many dish come WARPED or end up warped, due to bad storage/shipping and extream weather temperatures.

On dish that come with LNB arm supports I warp the dish into place maximising the signal quality before tightening up the support arms. On dish without LNB arm supports the dish can be "coaxed" into shape by standing behind the dish and pulling on each side of the dish with the result being more signal collected by the dish as it pulls the top and bottom in!

Been caught out a few times by this in -20º weather here in MN.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)