Disk full and auto delete situation question.

Paradox-SJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
San Jose, California
Last night I had 2:15 min of High Def recording space left.

I had 2 one hour HD programs scheduled to record...24 (sat) and CSI Miami (ota)

Both shows recorded just fine with the last show CSI Miami finishing recording at 11:00 PM

In my events I noticed that the seaons finale of Rome which was the oldest event (which I had not watched yet) was deleted at 11:00 PM. (after the other two shows had finished recording)

If this is the case then there really wasnt 2:15 min of free space and or the full disk/delete algorithm is flawed/bug as I should have had 13 min remaining.

Can anyone explain this? Have you ever seen less than one hour of High Def recording time displayed?

An before anyone gets smart and tells me to keep up on my programing watching I was out of the country for 3 weeks...

I dont know if this would have happend under 3.66 or is 4.03 related as I have never let the disk get full before.

Thanks in adv...

Those numbers are estimates. I'm not sure we are going to get an accurate number with MPEG2 and MPEG4 content, both with varying degrees of compression, being recorded.

Start locking stuff you haven't watched.

Yep - gotta lock the stuff you really want to keep when you're getting this low.

In answer to one of your questions - we noticed just a few nights ago that we were down to 34 mins. of HD space left. Quickly deleted a few old shows to keep control of the space.

I thought the priority that you set your DVR to record the show was also the priority it took on deleting the shows, but it OBVIOUSLY ISN'T and I found out the hard way. Three episodes of my favorite show which was #3 on my priority list were erased (the last three episodes in which were new). It was called "What About Brian" and I do not know when it will air again. I'm pissed. I realized that I was going to have to lock certain shows that I cannot do without being deleted and set a max number of recorded shows that is recorded on such shows as COPS and SOUTH PARK as they show up several times.

I think they should have some additional settings on the priorities for deleting just like they do when the receiver has to decide which show has priority to record. I do not think that the shows should have to be locked in order to do have some sort of protection. You can setup the DVR to which one has priority when it decides to record but that dont mean a darn thing when it comes to deletion.

Thats why I am waiting for external hard drive disk support and I know better than to buy a receiver with promised support before it's active, I will buy one AFTER it gets the features I want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)