Disney, AT&T in Carriage Dispute Impacting ABC, ESPN

slice1900

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 14, 2015
IA
My cable company breaks out the cost of the locals and it is over $15 now. Directv and Comcast are larger and probably get better rates (or haven't renegotiated with my station owners as recently) but it has doubled in just over two years, and word is that the networks are going to keep asking for more which means station owner groups will have to keep asking for more. I wouldn't be shocked to see it at $25 or $30 in a few years.

If my cable company allowed me to drop locals, and Tivo had a model with a CATV input and an OTA input, I'd gladly pay someone to put an antenna on my roof. There used to be one there when I bought the house, but when I had the roof replaced I had it junked because I figured I'd never use it. But saving $20+ a month would be a good reason to upgrade my Tivo and install an antenna!

Juan

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Moscow Russia
Well Comcast owns NBC...they probably get a special free rate
My cable company breaks out the cost of the locals and it is over $15 now. Directv and Comcast are larger and probably get better rates (or haven't renegotiated with my station owners as recently) but it has doubled in just over two years, and word is that the networks are going to keep asking for more which means station owner groups will have to keep asking for more. I wouldn't be shocked to see it at $25 or $30 in a few years.

If my cable company allowed me to drop locals, and Tivo had a model with a CATV input and an OTA input, I'd gladly pay someone to put an antenna on my roof. There used to be one there when I bought the house, but when I had the roof replaced I had it junked because I figured I'd never use it. But saving $20+ a month would be a good reason to upgrade my Tivo and install an antenna!
Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

theBruce

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Nov 29, 2003
Don't think that exists anymore

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!
No it still exists, just everyone is dropping it, from wiki-On October 1, 2014, ESPN Classic began a gradual transition into a video on demand-only service, with Dish Network becoming the first to discontinue carriage of the linear channel and carry it as a VOD service on that date. Other providers will follow suit on an unknown timetable.[3] In December 2017, cable companies Comcast Xfinity and Altice USA dropped the ESPN Classic linear channel from their TV lineups.[4] On February 4, 2019, Verizon FiOS removed the channel from the lineup. Spectrum, as part of their newest Disney agreement approved in August 2019, will begin dropping ESPN Classic from their systems on October 15, 2019.[5]

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

NashGuy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 24, 2009
Nashville, TN USA
No it still exists, just everyone is dropping it, from wiki-On October 1, 2014, ESPN Classic began a gradual transition into a video on demand-only service, with Dish Network becoming the first to discontinue carriage of the linear channel and carry it as a VOD service on that date. Other providers will follow suit on an unknown timetable.[3] In December 2017, cable companies Comcast Xfinity and Altice USA dropped the ESPN Classic linear channel from their TV lineups.[4] On February 4, 2019, Verizon FiOS removed the channel from the lineup. Spectrum, as part of their newest Disney agreement approved in August 2019, will begin dropping ESPN Classic from their systems on October 15, 2019.[5]
ESPN Classic seems like something that, at this point, they'd just make part of the $5/mo ESPN+ streaming service. Bulk up its on-demand library with access to various past games.

I do expect that we'll see ESPN+ become gradually more attractive over time. And then, at some point in the future, they'll decide to let folks pay an optional higher price to get the full ESPN experience -- all their live content from all their channels -- through ESPN+. Well, actually, that tier would probably just be called "ESPN," it would just be a standalone streaming service. And then ESPN+ would be separately available as a skinnier package of second-string content.

NashGuy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 24, 2009
Nashville, TN USA

Yeah, it's just crazy what the major locals want any more. And around here, Comcast charges over $32/mo just for their Limited Basic package of locals (plus C-SPAN). If you want that in HD, I think it requires another $5 - $15 in equipment/service fees. (Their rate card isn't clear.) Nuts.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
Well, we will see where this potential dispute stands soon ...
It's now Friday, so if it goes down ... it would be tonight (if Friday IS the last day, it's been speculated that its actually the end of the month) ...

I'm not sure why they would be posting all the warnings now if it really isn't till the end of the month.

Hopefully they resolve this issue without interruption, but of late, most have decided its more beneficial to get thier point across by blacking out the channels.

Don in CT

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 4, 2013
Central CT
Well, we will see where this potential dispute stands soon ...
It's now Friday, so if it goes down ... it would be tonight (if Friday IS the last day, it's been speculated that its actually the end of the month) ...

I'm not sure why they would be posting all the warnings now if it really isn't till the end of the month.

Hopefully they resolve this issue without interruption, but of late, most have decided its more beneficial to get thier point across by blacking out the channels.
Most likely Disney did not like the way the negations were going so they went on offense.

msmith198025

Member of the Year
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
ESPN has gotten top heavy. And for them to use MNF as the reason to be upset is ludicrous. When was the last really great MNF game on ESPN?
Even if it isn’t a great matchup, if NFL fans can’t watch “their” team, and that team is on MNF, they will look at other options.

Live sports is one thing that fans of it vastly prefer live.

Reactions: Jimbo

NashGuy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 24, 2009
Nashville, TN USA
Even if it isn’t a great matchup, if NFL fans can’t watch “their” team, and that team is on MNF, they will look at other options.

Live sports is one thing that fans of it vastly prefer live.
Live sports is the main thing that's keeping the entire cable TV system alive. If it weren't for sports, the whole thing would collapse.

Tampa8

Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct
Live sports is the main thing that's keeping the entire cable TV system alive. If it weren't for sports, the whole thing would collapse.
Nah. There isn't one person in my family/extended family sphere that would know or care if DISH has ESPN or the RSN's, I would be the most close to caring. Not one of our friends spends any real time watching sports other than football both College and Pro, with some exceptions like a hyped up game here and there. Don't need ESPN for most games. DISH has managed with one of the biggest markets not having RSN's and I along with some others here did not blink when they dropped one of the RSN's for the Boston DMA.

Drop prices by about $10 to $15 by not having them in the packages and lets see how ESPN/RSN's fares asking people to pay separately upwards of $20 because so many fewer will subscribe to it.

Reactions: dennispap

Don in CT

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 4, 2013
Central CT
Nah. There isn't one person in my family/extended family sphere that would know or care if DISH has ESPN or the RSN's, I would be the most close to caring. Not one of our friends spends any real time watching sports other than football both College and Pro, with some exceptions like a hyped up game here and there. Don't need ESPN for most games. DISH has managed with one of the biggest markets not having RSN's and I along with some others here did not blink when they dropped one of the RSN's for the Boston DMA.

Drop prices by about $10 to $15 by not having them in the packages and lets see how ESPN/RSN's fares asking people to pay separately upwards of $20 because so many fewer will subscribe to it.
Do you honestly think DTV would ever drop the prices if they never got ESPN back?

Tampa8

Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct
Do you honestly think DTV would ever drop the prices if they never got ESPN back?
Not quite what I said though, that is a little different question but I will answer yes they would have a drop of something. What I actually said was taking ESPN and RSN's out of the packages, not Directv losing them, and you pay separately for them. In fact DISH to an extent does this now (maybe Directv does too?) by having a package without the RSN's and you save.

Plus the point of that post was sports is not what keeps cable/sat going and that as many people as you think would not be paying for ESPN and or RSN's if given a choice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts