Disney, Comcast Sign 10 Year Carriage Deal (Includes ESPN)

HanoverPretzel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2006
Comcast just signed a 10 year deal with Disney to carry "ESPN, Disney Channel and ABC Family and the retransmission of free ABC broadcast network programs through seven ABC TV stations. It allows Comcast subscribers to gain greater access to shows on demand over the Internet on multiple devices.".

Full article:

Disney, Comcast Reach Carriage Deal

I think this is relevant and on-topic given how often the subject of Dish Network's negotiations with Disney about ESPN and the Disney Channel come up. Obviously, Comcast signing on the dotted line means Dish has less leverage. If Dish gets into a situation where they wind up dropping ESPN due to a carriage dispute, people who live in areas served by Comcast know they can switch and get ESPN at least through 2022.

Another key quote:

"It reinforces the value of the multichannel subscription and takes full advantage of new technologies, which serve all of our viewers," said ESPN executive chairman George Bodenheimer in a statement.

So, that means this deal is likely status quo in terms of keeping ESPN in Comcast's mainstream channel packages. That likely in turn will mean there is basically no chance of Disney caving into Dish's desire to siphon off sports into a special "add-on" type package sports fans would have to an additional fee for, at least when it comes to Disney-owned properties (Which include ESPN).

You're comparing apples to oranges, unless Comcast agreed to pay separately for the HD and the SD channels. That is the main term of discontent among Dish and Disney.

You're comparing apples to oranges, unless Comcast agreed to pay separately for the HD and the SD channels. That is the main term of discontent among Dish and Disney.

I recall reading stories that were also saying that Dish is objecting to a potential rate increase for ESPN due to the Monday Night Football deal, and wants to put ESPN in a separate sports tier rather than in their mainstream packages when their contract is up, or at least speculation to that effect. This deal between Disney and Comcast pretty much means that most providers likely will pay an increased fee for ESPN and will keep it in their mainstream tiers. That leaves Dish in the position of either having to reassess their position, or losing ESPN and the other channels when the current agreement expires. In other words, if there was any chance of Disney caving to Dish's demands, it just went up in smoke now that Comcast has basically put Dish other there on it's own with it's position (If it wasn't already).

I don't think so. Not everyone can get Comcast, almost everyone can get Dish if they want to. Unless Disney stops asking for dual payment then it doesn't matter, Dish will hold firm. Getting your sports in a cheap basic tier is not a god given right. I enjoy espn to some extent during football season, but I still believe it is a majority of subscribers that are paying for what a small minority actually watch. I could see espn in a basic tier, but IMO requiring all the espn properties in a basic tier is not going to happen in the future. Dish could expand the Welcome and Family packages minus the Disney properties or even offer a better rate on the Dish America packages minus the Disney properties. Those packages are already offered without several of the Fox properties and many people subscribe to them.

why are we discussing Comcast making a deal with Disney, is it because it may have something to do with Dish's ongoing dispute, if not, move it to the Comcast section, where it belongs.

my thoughts are Comcast have done a better job of keeping Disney on their side, granted Comcast just bought NBCUniversal recently and some Disney movies air on NBCUniversal networks like USA, Bravo, SyFy, etc. but i doubt Dish would be willing to kiss the mouse's a**, in fact this is the reason for the lawsuits and channels not launched in HD (ESPN U HD), not launched at all on Dish (The Longhorn Network), or removed period from the Dish Lineup (Disney XD, Disney Channel, ABC Family and ESPNews).

I believe it does belong here. It is related to Dish not having those channels at this time.....

It would be interesting to know what Comcast agreed to, and if it is something Dish would agree to.

but i doubt Dish would be willing to kiss the mouse's a**, in fact this is the reason for the lawsuits and channels not launched in HD (ESPN U HD), not launched at all on Dish (The Longhorn Network), or removed period from the Dish Lineup (Disney XD, Disney Channel, ABC Family and ESPNews).

ESPNEWS is still in the Dish lineup. Channel 142. I turned it on to double check and they're doing a story about the Lions-Saints playoff game that's going to be played tomorrow night.

I have to admit, in over a year with Dish, I never noticed that I don't have Disney or ABC Family. I guess it shows how little I care about children's and family programming. I used to occasional watch a rerun of an old sitcom or two on ABC Family when I had cable, but I never even noticed that I don't have it with Dish. It kind of confirms to my mind that my must-haves television wise are sports channels and channels that include sports, plus certain news channels. Apart from that, apparently any assortment of general channels that I can find the occasional sitcom or drama on makes me happy enough.

Dish is always saying that they think there's a place in the market for a provider to cater to non-sports fans. I wonder if there'd be a place in the market for a provider to just go after all sports and toss them in with whatever random channels they have to agree to carry to get the sports plus whatever is random and inexpensive, plus OTA locals, and call it a day, bringing their price in under other providers and providing more sports. Of course, they'd have to carry some general purpose channels like TNT and USA to get all the sports and wrestling. I don't know, maybe something to think about for somebody.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts