Disney to spin off ESPN?

The majority of sports talk personalities on tv and radio are nothing more than high school water boys who are good at writing and talking.
You described a guy I went to school with perfectly ! He was also on the "spirit" team for different sports. Now, every Sunday, he's a color commentary guy on Facebook while the Steelers play !! A self-proclaimed expert too.

Interesting story, while listening to a baseball game on the radio this Summer they had a TV guy fill in the the 2nd guy in the booth who was away that night. Still only 2 people in the booth but the interesting part was the comment the TV guy made when asked afterwards what it was like doing radio. His reply was "You guys talk a lot less over here.". Imagine, you can understand what's going on in the game on radio, where you can't see what's happening, with significantly less talking than on TV. So I resort to muting Troy Aikman, Phil Simms, Beth Mowins, Rick Sutcliffe, and others in order to watch the game.
Growing up a Cincinnati Reds fan, when a game was on TV, most people would mute the TV and turn on the radio to listen to Joe Nuxhaul and Marty Brenneman.

ESPN burst on the scene with innovative programming and a unique twist on giving starving sports nuts their news fix. A perfect storm so to speak. Now they are becoming a bit boring and appear desperate to reclaim their core baby boomer audience. If they want to rule the waves again the answer is simple. 100% 4K broadcasting. Tens of thousands of new TV's are 4K and soon all TV's 50 inch and above will be 4K, yet there is nothing being broadcast is 4K on a national level. Millions of non sports fans would tune in to ESPN just to watch 4K. Can you imagine college football games in 4K? Lots of money would have to be spent for 4K cameras and other equipment but I think that the audience is there and the TV manufactures are pumping out 4K TV's as fast as they can make them. 4K is just a matter of time so why not lead the pack, especially when you have a product that so dramatically lends itself to the PQ advantages of 4K.

Reactions: jamesjimcie
ESPN burst on the scene with innovative programming and a unique twist on giving starving sports nuts their news fix. A perfect storm so to speak. Now they are becoming a bit boring and appear desperate to reclaim their core baby boomer audience. If they want to rule the waves again the answer is simple. 100% 4K broadcasting. Tens of thousands of new TV's are 4K and soon all TV's 50 inch and above will be 4K, yet there is nothing being broadcast is 4K on a national level. Millions of non sports fans would tune in to ESPN just to watch 4K. Can you imagine college football games in 4K? Lots of money would have to be spent for 4K cameras and other equipment but I think that the audience is there and the TV manufactures are pumping out 4K TV's as fast as they can make them. 4K is just a matter of time so why not lead the pack, especially when you have a product that so dramatically lends itself to the PQ advantages of 4K.
I think they will lead the pack, once a consistent distribution method is developed.

NBA - Talking, and sounding reasonabably smart, about most sports is hard. ESPN, and most other networks, have a few people that can do it, but it takes work and intellect. The number of people who can talk about more than one sport is quite small. Hence, the NBA obsession of its "embrase debate" talking heads. Talking about the NBA is simple. It is all just catch phrases, conclusory statements, and talk about feelings, emotions, and personalities which, if a female sport was covered in that way, would get every one fired.

4K - DirecTV does Notre Dame home games in 4K. It is OK, but it is not a world changer. In any event the capacity for more than a few 4K channels is years away. It is about where HD was in the late 90s or color was in the early 60s. Eventually it will probably be standard and then everybody is back to even.

Univision -Stories about the ratings for Spanish language networks beating English ones are all around. All ignore simple math. The English audience, though vastly larger, is split up 200 or 300 ways, while Spanish is, at best, split up 15 or so ways. In any event the Spanish networks are begining a slow, and inevitable, decline, as did non-English media forms in past generations. Remember the scene in The Godfather where Vito goes to the Italian play? Seen any Italian plays advertized lately? The grandkids and great-grandkids don't speak Italian. Same thing. Happened in every generation.

Reactions: jamesjimcie
Regarding TVs becoming all 4K- when I was last in Costco, there was only one 1080p model for sale - a 40 something incher.

We (finally) have a Costco around here but I've never been to it. Been going to Sam's Club for years though and I know most audio-video snobs (the AVS types) would scoff at my 'opinion', but Sam's has always seemed to have very up-to-date selection of TVs. On the other hand, Walmart still sells 720p TVs. It's the smaller sizes (32" and less) typically, but they're there. People may mock Walmart but I suspect they sell a sh*tload of TVs.

Reactions: pattykay
When were there only TVs that were 3D-capable ? 3DTV was a fad (oh no, that's asking for the trolls to show up !) and the TV makers and stores knew it, so they certainly didn't include 3D capabilities across the board.

There was a point in time (and I posted here somewhere about it) that almost all TVs being sold in the larger stores like Best Buy were 3D. It didn't last long, I agree.

EDIT: http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/3d-update.305113/page-2#post-3102768

And before we go off the rails again like in that thread :D ...the similarities of the available 4K TVs but not much 4K content is just like 3 years ago with the availability of 3D TVs and not much 3D content. It is the market trying to force the demand on the consumer, instead of the other way around.

There was a point in time (and I posted here somewhere about it) that almost all TVs being sold in the larger stores like Best Buy were 3D. It didn't last long, I agree.

EDIT: http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/3d-update.305113/page-2#post-3102768

And before we go off the rails again like in that thread :D ...the similarities of the available 4K TVs but not much 4K content is just like 3 years ago with the availability of 3D TVs and not much 3D content. It is the market trying to force the demand on the consumer, instead of the other way around.
What came first, digital television or the TVs to receive it? :D

I don't think ESPN wants to jump into 4K all Willy-Nilly after losing out on 3D. I remember something about how ESPN claimed they were going to lead the way for 3D, only for everyone to realize 3D is and always will be a fad.

Until the bandwidth issues are resolved (read: if ever), 4K will also be a fad too.

I'd rather any improvements in bandwidth availability and h265 compression be used to lessen the compression on existing HD transmissions.
Net neutrality about to go bye bye..things will change

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

Until the bandwidth issues are resolved (read: if ever), 4K will also be a fad too.

I'd rather any improvements in bandwidth availability and h265 compression be used to lessen the compression on existing HD transmissions.

I doubt it. People will be able to get 4k through other means like DirecTV who can do 50 channels of 4K alone. It's just a matter of getting the capital to upgrade the plants.

Where do you get the information that DTV has room for 50 4K channels? Just curious.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)