Distance from dish to receiver problems?

bcurt99

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
atlanta, ga
It's necessary for me to go over 250 ft to get visibility. At that range, even though sats 119 and 110 are locked, I can't receive the higher channels? Is this due to distance, or something else?

go to menu, 6, 1, 3. system info, after it runs, click details and are sure your getting both odd and even transponders on both 110 and 119. It sounds to me like its a bad LNB. Is it a dish pro or a dish pro plus twin?

It's necessary for me to go over 250 ft to get visibility. At that range, even though sats 119 and 110 are locked, I can't receive the higher channels? Is this due to distance, or something else?
What dish are you using? What receiver? Go to menu 6-1-1 and list by transponder and satellite your signal strengths. The higher the signal frequency the more loss there is per foot of cable. but channel numbers do not equal frequencies. What cable are you using for the 250 ft run how many splices do you have? Do you have any barrel connectors with white centers?

Pro 500, 301 and regular coax with three, red barrel connectors. It's located in another town and I"m not able to go the the data until next weekend. I will be changing out the 301 with a new 311 when I get there which might help?

What's with all of the barrel connectors? Are we to assume that you're using prefab cables?

What do you get when you run a check switch?

No wall plate, it comes directly through the floor. Reason for splices is it replaced a cable tv network that had coax already in place. That's the mystery, I'm locked to 119 and 110 at over 50 and the check switch works fine?

Those splices could be causing some problems,if you could get a straight run would be much better.

The distance is more than likely your problem. The reason distance becomes a problem is as the length of the coax increases its resistance increases as well. As the resistance increases voltage drops, and current increases. There for once you get to a certain point where the resistance of the coax is beyond the spec designed into the system the voltage drops to the point where the LNB doesn't function properly, and the receiver can't control it fully. I'm not exactly sure what a receiver looks at during a switch test (other than the obvious), but from past experience a system with excessive cable will usually test good on its switch test, and even download its software. However when changing channels it will either just freeze on the channel, or display the signal loss screen. Removing any barrels will help, as well as stepping up to RG11 coax. also you might try using a legacy LNB.

The distance is more than likely your problem. The reason distance becomes a problem is as the length of the coax increases its resistance increases as well. As the resistance increases voltage drops, and current increases. There for once you get to a certain point where the resistance of the coax is beyond the spec designed into the system the voltage drops to the point where the LNB doesn't function properly, and the receiver can't control it fully. I'm not exactly sure what a receiver looks at during a switch test (other than the obvious), but from past experience a system with excessive cable will usually test good on its switch test, and even download its software. However when changing channels it will either just freeze on the channel, or display the signal loss screen. Removing any barrels will help, as well as stepping up to RG11 coax. also you might try using a legacy LNB.
Dish Pro uses 19 volts and I believe will work down to 15 volts so the 250 ft with solid copper RG-6 should not cause a problem. Legacy which relies on switching voltages either 12 or 18 would be the worst choice for long runs of cable. Dish Pro uses band stacking instead of voltage switching so it becomes more prone to signal loss because the higher the frequency the faster it is lost over long runs. Dish Pro is also affected by barrel connectors blue are tested to the higher frequencies that DISH uses. White/clear are tested to the minimal cable/OTA frequencies though they may work at higher frequencies. I had a problem trouble shooting one of my own systems that wouldn't work with high frequencies of Dish Pro. After bouncing my head off a brick wall and even calling DISH Tech support I finally found a ground block in the line with an old clear center isolator, yes it was the problem.

Its not so much the voltage. but the DBs.

For every 10 feet of RG6 cable you loose on DB of signal. (I am not Talking about IRDs that you see on the receiver I am Talking about decibels)

Dish network receivers work well up to about a -50dbs. but dish wants no more then -45

If at the dish you are sitting at -33dbs at the dish add -25 for loss due to the 250' cable run. then you are at -58dbs

That is if you have a perfect cable run. In your case all of the barrels and breaks only add to the issue.

changing from a 301 to a 311 wont help much.

Here is what I suggest. Replace the cable run to one cable. with no breaks.

also I use these amps with dish all the time. Work great

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)