Distant HD Nets

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SimpleSimon

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 29, 2004
Florissant, CO
OK, it's halfway through June (the month we were told E* would have their act to.gether for HD distant net authorization), and rumor has it that there's little to no more HD Lil going in for the rest of 2006.

SO - anybody hear anything about getting auth'd for distant HD nets (besides CBS that I already have).

I really don't want to "move" back to Park County just to get the Denver nets - I'm likely to lose my existing distants, and only having two MPEG-4 HD DVR tuners just doesn't cut it. :)

SimpleSimon said:
OK, it's halfway through June (the month we were told E* would have their act to.gether for HD distant net authorization), and rumor has it that there's little to no more HD Lil going in for the rest of 2006.

SO - anybody hear anything about getting auth'd for distant HD nets (besides CBS that I already have).

I really don't want to "move" back to Park County just to get the Denver nets - I'm likely to lose my existing distants, and only having two MPEG-4 HD DVR tuners just doesn't cut it. :)

Yea, we've been "told" a lot of things by "E" that never seem to correlate with what actually happens.

Obviously "June" must have meant something to Charles or he wouldn't have mentioned it but what that something is / was may never be known. Maybe he figured that court ruling that came down recently on distants was due about then and thinking it would go in his favor, figured he'd be safe enough in whatever qualification method he planned to use for HD DNS. If so, then he's probably rethinking his stratagies.:)

I figured his "June" remark had something to do with the availability of digital signal testing that was supposed to happen for the first 100 DMAs but there hasn't been squat mentioned anywhere (that I've seen) about that. In fact, I find the silence on that issue quite curious. Obviously a conspiracy of some sort:D .

Maybe he's decided the only way he'll go HD DNS is if he can get similar deals to what he has with CBS and therefore circumvent SHVERA (and any court rulings thereof). There are differing opinions (see debate between Greg Bimson & TNGTony in another thread) as to whether the CBS contract fully escapes any SHVERA regulations though.

Shortly before he left Dish, Marc Lumpkin told me that they were "very close to launching ABC HD" and that "FOX & NBC were still in negoiations". Now that was many months ago, so obviously something has happened. Scott did mention something in one of the team summit threads about, and I'm paraphrasing, "that Dish having NBC-HD listed was not a mistake" - whatever that means.

That's all I know right now. There could be others that know more but for some reason, they're not talking.

Hd ota

SimpleSimon said:
As I thought. Bummer.

Well, maybe I can get something OTA out of Denver if I try hard enough (ie. spend enough money).

Simon
Hd ota should nopt be too hard to get from Colorado springs!!! You are only 30 miles from there and 55 from Denver pick up a decent antenna and give it a try.

I am 55 miles from the city of chicago and get all my locals fine.

Dodge, what kind of antenna do you have. I have one and i barley get the rockford channels and i live 20 miles north of Rockford.

dodge said:
Simon
Hd ota should nopt be too hard to get from Colorado springs!!! You are only 30 miles from there and 55 from Denver pick up a decent antenna and give it a try.

I am 55 miles from the city of chicago and get all my locals fine.

Simon has very high mountain range between him and Colorado Springs.

rdinkel said:
Simon has very high mountain range between him and Colorado Springs.
Yup, a few trillion tons of Pikes Peak granite that top out a mile higher than me and the antennas.

Bob D. has a slightly better chance than me (he lives in the same town as my shop), but I don't think he's getting anything much from C.Spgs. either. While we're talking, Bob, ARE you getting anything OTA and if so, Denver or C.S.?

Why don't you weld a few poles together so you can get the antenna high enough. You'll need a few guy wires to hold it down, but the view from the top of the pole would be worth it :)

Well, I WAS going to put a 48" WiFi 12dbi omni on a 35' pole starting 40' up a tree, so I've got all that stuff - but the size of OTA antenna I'll need will probably make this 50' tree fal over. :D

SimpleSimon said:
Yup, a few trillion tons of Pikes Peak granite that top out a mile higher than me and the antennas.

Bob D. has a slightly better chance than me (he lives in the same town as my shop), but I don't think he's getting anything much from C.Spgs. either. While we're talking, Bob, ARE you getting anything OTA and if so, Denver or C.S.?

Nope. Could get Fox analog (from repeater) and less than pure other analog mostly from Denver, but nothing digital from either Denver or Springs. No reason to bother with the analog OTA since we have Dish SD LILs.

rdinkel said:
Nope. Could get Fox analog (from repeater) and less than pure other analog mostly from Denver, but nothing digital from either Denver or Springs. No reason to bother with the analog OTA since we have Dish SD LILs.
Thanks man - you just saved me a lot of time & trouble.

I know if YOU couldn't get any digital, I've got NO chance.

Well Dish "implied" a list of 50 DMAs for HD LiLs during 2006 but then again Dish "implies" many things.

Personally I would think Charles would be burning the midnight oil and putting every resource at his disposel into getting ALL the remaining DMAs up before he has to shut off distants - even if it means dropping some internationals or shopping channels. He can't afford not to.

If Dish actually has to shut off all distant networks, I believe hundreds of thousands of customers will migrate to other DBS providers - just like the court ruling says they can do - but wait there is only ONE other DBS provider. Hmmmmm, that's interresting.

But wait again - which "one" network is actually the main reason this court ruling is still active after 8 years?

Could there be a connection between that "one" network and the "one" DBS provider left for Dish's customers to go to for their distant networks. Hmmmmmmmm. bandito.gif

Attachments

• thinking2.gif
    thinking2.gif
    696 bytes · Views: 109

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)