Distant Network Shutoff on December 1st?

Has anyone read or heard anything from any of the national networks about this?

Not counting the people that do have a local network option, theoretcially they still stand to loose 10s of thousands of viewers of their respective prime time lineups.

I would think they'd be concerned enough to offer some kind of alternate access for these people. Watching on an IPod or computer screen is not going to cut it. There needs to be a way to get it back to their living room tvs.

I'm thinking we'll see VOD availability for these programs. Probably free next day with commericals intack or a couple bucks without but we'd still have the ability to DVR them.

At this point only people who haunt boards like this know or care.

Not counting the people that do have a local network option, theoretcially they still stand to loose 10s of thousands of viewers of their respective prime time lineups.

They might even lose viewers.

I would think they'd be concerned enough to offer some kind of alternate access for these people. Watching on an IPod or computer screen is not going to cut it. There needs to be a way to get it back to their living room tvs.

Really? I remember some posters saying that Internet viewing would spell the doom of the network affiliate system.
I'm thinking we'll see VOD availability for these programs. Probably free next day with commericals intack or a couple bucks without but we'd still have the ability to DVR them.

Just like we see films in theater or on DVD without commercials?

Really? I remember some posters saying that Internet viewing would spell the doom of the network affiliate system.
Really? Well, I don't think it was me.
chillpill.gif

None of my comments were meant to demean the poster. Apologies to him if he was offended. I'm not sure sarcastic is the right word but on each issue:

At this point only people who haunt boards like this know or care. ]

This is a simple statement of fact. I don't think the situation has penetrated the general population. Does anybody disagree?

They might even lose viewers.

More than one poster has pointed out the difference between lose/loose. It is not just annoying. To me it shows an indifference to proper use of language. Everybody makes typos. Not everybody knows every rule of grammar. But to continue to use the wrong word after being notified of such is just laziness. Ok, this was a sarcastic comment.

Really? I remember some posters saying that Internet viewing would spell the doom of the network affiliate system. ]

I was pointing out the situation where two people sincerely claim two mutually exclusive positions. One fellow is sure internet TV is the wave of the future. Another says people wouldn't stand for it.....

Just like we see films in theater or on DVD without commercials?

Again the reality of the world. Theoretically commercials support "free" TV. Yet eventually we get commercials creeping in to things we pay for directly. I was merely suggesting that trend would continue no matter what.

I just got a call from Dish saying my distants were going to be cut off Dec. 1st and that they would come install a Dish 1000 for me for free so that I could get the local channels. I am going to have the send back the one I bought myself I guess. They said they were going to cut off my 3 channels but when I asked about it I asked if I was loosing my superstations too or just my distant networks and they said just the distants so I asked why they were cutting off all 3. I was thinking two were UPN and WB but now that it's CW I cancelled my UPN so I just have 2 now idk where they got 3 from. She said I was right and that I'd only lose my Fox. I hope they know what they are doing as I don't want my CW cut off.

I for one, will NOT purchase my locals if I lose the distants. The big four WILL lose my household as viewers.

Not so fast Echostar..............

That would be fantastic as it would allow time for Charlie's new friends in Congress elected last night to do something about this :D

NAB Opposes EchoStar Distant-Signal Injunction Delay
By John Eggerton -- Broadcasting & Cable, 11/8/2006 2:27:00 PM

National Association of Broadcasters President David Rehr says the association is opposing any extension of EchoStar's deadline for the court-ordered dropping of its delivery of distant network TV station signals.

EchoStar asked for a 120-day extension of a Florida District Court's Oct. 20 order that it no longer deliver distant network signals to its customers as of Dec. 1.

Rehr said he was been coordinating with interested board members--they are meeting this week in Washington--and that NAB plans to send a letter to the Hill opposing any extension and asking Congress not to weigh in and to let the injunction take effect.

Link to article: http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6389682.html

NAB Opposes EchoStar Distant-Signal Injunction Delay
By John Eggerton -- Broadcasting & Cable, 11/8/2006 2:27:00 PM

National Association of Broadcasters President David Rehr says the association is opposing any extension of EchoStar's deadline for the court-ordered dropping of its delivery of distant network TV station signals.

EchoStar asked for a 120-day extension of a Florida District Court's Oct. 20 order that it no longer deliver distant network signals to its customers as of Dec. 1.

Rehr said he was been coordinating with interested board members--they are meeting this week in Washington--and that NAB plans to send a letter to the Hill opposing any extension and asking Congress not to weigh in and to let the injunction take effect.

Link to article: http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6389682.html

I thought the NAB and Dish were casual friends now? So much for that..

None of my comments were meant to demean the poster. Apologies to him if he was offended.
Accepted.
ThomasRz said:
More than one poster has pointed out the difference between lose/loose. It is not just annoying. To me it shows an indifference to proper use of language. Everybody makes typos. Not everybody knows every rule of grammar. But to continue to use the wrong word after being notified of such is just laziness. Ok, this was a sarcastic comment.
Actually my misuse of the word "loose" completly escaped me (and of course the spell checker since it is a word). I am aware of the difference between the 2 words and don't know why I interchanged it that way. I probably have also misused words like there / their, where / wear, etc even though I know the difference and again I don't know why. Maybe it is laziness or maybe it's just the informal atmosphere of the list, I don't know but it's not because I don't know the difference. It even bothers me when I see others do it, in fact even Scott does it quite a bit. I'm wondering if it may just be one of those quirky crosses that those of genius sometimes have to bear.
coffee.gif

Chris Walker said:
I thought the NAB and Dish were casual friends now? So much for that.
The NAB, and the network affiliate boards (which are all members of the NAB) had only one gripe with this entire case: stop Dish Network from giving invalid customers distant networks. The settlement would have caused that. So will the injunction.

I am reminded how hypocritical this now sounds. In the settlement, wasn't Dish Network going to have everyone requalified and then cut-off ineligibles by 1 January? Either way, requesting until mid-April is a bit too much to believe.

Pappas and Dish Network Come to An Agreement

E* Customer Service Ratings Drop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)