Distant Network Shutoff on December 1st?

It works in other countries. Canada is a good example.
Canada is an awful example. There is no local coverage anymore unless you live in Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Edmonton, or Vancouver.
If you live more than an hour outside of one of those cities, forget about anything local.

Thank Rupert for throwing E* under the bus. All the other networks settled.

This had nothing to do with settlements! E* got penalized because they ignored the courts ruling/order from several years ago that they stop giving DNS to subs who were not eligible under the law. The law specifies that the penalty for doing so is shut off of all DNS even for those who can legally receive them. No latitude in the penalty as the law is written.

This had nothing to do with settlements! E* got penalized because they ignored the courts ruling/order from several years ago that they stop giving DNS to subs who were not eligible under the law. The law specifies that the penalty for doing so is shut off of all DNS even for those who can legally receive them. No latitude in the penalty as the law is written.
All the plaintiffs except FOX settled. The judgement could have been put aside.

All the plaintiffs except FOX settled. The judgement could have been put aside.

MAYBE it could have been put aside but it wasn't! We have to find somebody other than E* to put the blame for all this on. It just isn't fair, It just isn't fair! ;)

I think that if Dish has to shut them off, so should Directv! Makes me wonder why Directv always seems to be put on a pedestal...there not perfect nor is Dish, but you won't see me leave Dish for Directv, not over 12 additionals local channels that cost me an additional $18/mo.--hate to lose the distants after going through all the trouble to get my waivers but if it happens, it happens. Thank your government (FCC & the crazy judges!) for that!

Canada is an awful example. There is no local coverage anymore unless you live in Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Edmonton, or Vancouver.
If you live more than an hour outside of one of those cities, forget about anything local.

Well sure, there is never much coverage from small communities, but it seems to me that the local coverage in even the smaller Canadian cities (St. John's, Winnipeg, etc.) is quite extensive ... just like it is on local TV stations in the USA. The point is that Canadians have access to several cities' programming, whereas in the U.S. the viewer is stuck with the one city closest to where they live.

I wonder if ExpressVu will start having prepaid satellite systems as well. If so would you be able to purchase the networks on their system or do they have restrictions on who can get what network station like we do here in the U.S. ?

I wonder if ExpressVu will start having prepaid satellite systems as well. If so would you be able to purchase the networks on their system or do they have restrictions on who can get what network station like we do here in the U.S. ?

No restriction. The basic package includes the affliates from numerous cities across Canada Plus you have the right to purchase the Boston & Seattle US Networks.

After the case has been decided, to suggest that a new settlement exists is rediculous. The Judge spent considerable time evaluating the possibility, but still came to the conclusion that he had to obey the higher court's ruling, which by the way is based on sound findings. After all, E* was apparently told to prove the legality of its Distant Nets subscribers and reportedly provided no information as required by the law. I fail to see how the settlements could in any way change the finding.

If they are included in the basic package on ExpressVu then that is going to be the solution to Americans wanting these channels if they get the PrePaid receivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)