Distant Network Shutoff on December 1st?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Dear fellow cat person:

1. DirecTV will not likely be in the same boat. But I wouldn't jump ship too quickly.
2. If they think you can get OTA in your location, by all means, yes. OTA has the highest PQ, generally. How far away from the towers are you? Post a zip code if you're not sure, we can help
3. Might be the best approach. It sounds like only a very few grinches will oppose this bill- or folks who are suspiciously beholden to Darth Murdoch (who may sever ties with D* soon anyway).

--------------------------------------
Dogs have masters.
Cats have staff.

catmom50:
Well it looks like you can receive several stations in that zip. I think they're all repeaters, though, and I'm not sure what that means. Only one is a digital station, PBS. The others are analog stations which may be all you are looking for. Your TV will likely work with these directly, no need to go thru a Dish box. Some dish boxes only receive digital anyway.

You can go to www.antennaweb.org and fill in the info to get a better idea of how far away you are from the transmitting antennas. I'd say, accept the antenna and if it doesn't look like you can get any stations, the installer will likely know ahead of time and tell you before trying to install. But I'll bet you get reception.

Last edited:
The networks originally filed suit to nip the problem of illegally provided distants right in the bud. The problem is the suit took nine years. All the networks and their affiliate boards wanted was the practice to stop. And Dish Network's choice was to fight instead of salvage the subscribers that could still qualify.

And in doing so, provided those subscribers with 9 more years of service than they would have had.

I still need to find a way to make my sickly computer open the relevant documents, so as to read the rulings and regulations in full, but I continue to believe E* did implement the stricter qualifications in 2003, even if CSRs have done a poor job of enforcement. Were they merely neglegent in providing proper documentation to the courts? If so, most subscribers' past billing statements should be sufficient evidence of grandfathering.

If the proposed bill passes in it's current form, and doesn't permiit RV waivers (which would be the peak of ridiculousness, as far as this situation goes), does that apply to D* as well? If so, it could be said that E* has done more long-term harm than good to the industry as a whole, being that they could have, 9 years ago, implemented D*-like apathetic DNS policies, requiring the concerned customers to implement the RV "workaround" back then. I'm surprised there are DNS fanatics out there who still don't have RVs.

I still have my distants, but I become furious hearing about others losing theirs. Like another poster on one of the threads, I too will be losing three of my favorite shows. Those being: Channel 4 News at 5:00, Channel 4 News at 6:00, and Channel 4 News at 11:00. Yeah, KNBC is the only one still worth having on a daily basis, but it's worth fighting for!

To those of you losing access to the networks at your homes altogether, those shows are more readily available through other means (like buying or "trading" for copies on the internet, often with commercials missing:eek: )than the distant local programming, but still, I feel your pain.

Now, is there any way I can disconnect my receiver or smart card to keep the receiver from "getting the message" when and if it comes?

Hey catmom in central oregon-- call your rep and senator-- I talked with them and I think they are interested in trying to get legislation thru.

in meantime all central oregon and southeast oregon is hit by "spotbeam" for Portland Nets. If you have a "friend" with a service address you can "move" to. Anyone in Portland area.

just make sure you know how to do that-- on- line paperless billing by credit card. -- instead of mail and bill coming to you

Hey goldengoose

goldengoose-
Tell Me more. I understand about the address ("move to"), but what is spotbeam?
Will do about calling reps.
Catmom in La Pine, Oregon

Spotbeams. Satellite transponders can cover the whole country or just a small part of it. If they cover say, eastern VA, then they can reuse that same frequency to cover say, arkansas.

ti_yn said:
And in doing so, provided those subscribers with 9 more years of service than they would have had.
True. But that also means Dish Network has broken the law for the past nine years.
ti_yn said:
...but I continue to believe E* did implement the stricter qualifications in 2003, even if CSRs have done a poor job of enforcement. Were they merely neglegent in providing proper documentation to the courts? If so, most subscribers' past billing statements should be sufficient evidence of grandfathering.
Dish Network provided no information to the courts regarding waivered or grandfathered subscribers. Therefore Dish Network doesn't have any grandfathered subscribers, and only has waivered subscribers after April, 2002, with valid DecisionMark waivers.
ti_yn said:
If the proposed bill passes in it's current form, and doesn't permiit RV waivers (which would be the peak of ridiculousness, as far as this situation goes), does that apply to D* as well? If so, it could be said that E* has done more long-term harm than good to the industry as a whole, being that they could have, 9 years ago, implemented D*-like apathetic DNS policies, requiring the concerned customers to implement the RV "workaround" back then. I'm surprised there are DNS fanatics out there who still don't have RVs.
The new legislation only applies to any company that receives a permanent injunction against. Therefore, Dish Network is the only entity impacted by the permanent injunction of 17 USC 119, and DirecTV is still free to use the original license. The only harm here is given to Echostar in the form of the "death penalty", and then the subscribers that truly require DNS in order to have any valid network service.

I thought they could only cut off somewhere around 8,000 subs a day.......yet waited until the last day to cut off "WHAT SEEMS LIKE" 90% of the subs? Are they lying or do you think that they will not really be able to turn everyone off today.

(my guess is lying)

Yeah, amazing how they solved that little problem. I wouldn't plan on trying to get through to any E* CSRs tomorrow for anything.... I'm guessing they will be a "little busy" dealing with the folks not as wired in as us....

Time to hook some rabbit ears to the back of the receiver. Won't help those in the boonies, but the Nascar brigade might make do.....

Charlie's November surprise doesn't address the RV situation, so I'm guessing that you folks are SOL. Sorry. I don't know what other options you have that don't involve switching....

The new distant networks provided on dish equipment from the NPS that is mentioned in the other thread should be an option for the RVers (i hope- hope hope)
wont they be CONUS

Could be ... we just lost our NY CBS-HD this evening (Thursday Nov. 30). It is no longer in our program guide. This is our most valuable channel, both for sports and weekly primetime shows. It's a real loss, especially as DISH seems to have stalled in the rollout of HD locals for much of the country.

Tom Conelly (Pittsburgh market)

Try today. Happened about an hour ago. The "not subscribed" message flashed up and it was gone from the EPG.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts