distant networks

dlh1435

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
I heard some people are getting letters about they can get distants instead of locals.is this letter going out to everyone?I was wondering if I would get one.I love to have the east and west feeds.

The only people who were getting a letter are the ones who already had them before. You really have to qualify now for distants...and they are few and farther between.

The letter is going to people that have both distant networks and locals. The letter tells them they must make a choice either distants or their local stations. They can no longer have both. If they dont choose, they then lose the distants. Never to get them back.

I have a waiver from my local NBC, so I am currently getting the locals plus WNBC. Will I lose WNBC?

I'm wondering if I can get distant ABC back if I drop locals - KRDO (THEY SUCK) forced E* to pull my East and West feeds. Maybe it's time to file my RV waivers.

I wouldn't mind having the distant channels even thou I have my locals I would still like to have the distant ones just so I could watch the news from that area especially Los Angelos KTLA.

Jeff003 said:
I wouldn't mind having the distant channels even thou I have my locals I would still like to have the distant ones just so I could watch the news from that area especially Los Angelos KTLA.
as KTLA is a super, and not a big 4 network affiliate, you should be able to order it now for $1.50/month anyway. At least thats what I do.

Once distant channels are turned off, FOR ANY REASON, even if it's a mistake, you have to qualify UNDER THE NEW LAW to get them back. The new law is simple: If local network affiliates are offered in your area via your satellite carrier, you CANNOT get distant networks PERIOD. Waivers are irrelevant. What you had before is irrelevant. Resistance if futile.

If local networks are NOT offered by your satellite carrier AND you live outside the grade B signal intensity of ALL stations affiliated with a particular network, you can get a distant network signal for that network. Waivers DO apply in these areas if necessary.

See ya
Tony

TNGTony said:
Once distant channels are turned off, FOR ANY REASON, even if it's a mistake, you have to qualify UNDER THE NEW LAW to get them back. The new law is simple: If local network affiliates are offered in your area via your satellite carrier, you CANNOT get distant networks PERIOD. Waivers are irrelevant. What you had before is irrelevant. Resistance if futile.

If local networks are NOT offered by your satellite carrier AND you live outside the grade B signal intensity of ALL stations affiliated with a particular network, you can get a distant network signal for that network. Waivers DO apply in these areas if necessary.

See ya
Tony

Hey Tony can you advise what the differance is between "Inside" and "Outside" the Grade B contour and who decides that.The FCC the local networks,NAB, E* etc.,etc. ???? I see so much depends on being in or out of the Grade B contour but I am not sure what exactly that means.Thanks for any info you may in regards to that.

You asked for it!

Here is a way a California Court defined grade B
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/C-42/SOR-89-254/77617.html
SCHEDULE
(Section 1)
METHOD FOR DETERMINING THE PREDICTED 0.5 MILLIVOLT PER METRE (MV/M) CONTOUR OF TERRESTRIAL F.M. RADIO STATIONS AND THE PREDICTED GRADE B CONTOUR OF TERRESTRIAL TELEVISION STATIONS

Height of Antenna above Average Terrain (HAAT)

1. The height of an antenna above average terrain shall be determined on a topographical map by

(a) marking the transmitting site on the map, using the geographical coordinates of the site;

(b) drawing two concentric circles with radii of 3 km and 16 km, respectively, from the transmitting site marked under paragraph (a);

(c) starting at true north, drawing eight radials from the transmitting site at intervals of 45°;

(d) drawing, for each radial, a profile graph for the segment of terrain between 3 km and 16 km from the transmitting site, with the eight profile graphs plotted separately on rectangular coordinate paper, the distance in kilometres as the abscissa and the elevation in metres above mean sea level as the ordinate and reflecting the topography of the terrain;

(e) obtaining the average elevation of the terrain above mean sea level for each segment of terrain between 3 km and 16 km from the transmitting site by

(i) using a planimeter,

(ii) dividing the segment in equal sectors and averaging their respective median elevations, or

(iii) averaging the elevations at a sufficient number of equally spaced points to provide a representation of the terrain; and

(f) obtaining the HAAT for each radial by subtracting the average terrain elevation calculated in accordance with paragraph (e) from the height above sea level of the centre of radiation of the antenna.

Predicted Contours

2. (1) For F.M. radio stations, the predicted contour is defined by a field strength of 0.5 mV/m.

(2) For television stations, depending on the channel involved, the predicted Grade B contour is defined by the following field strength:

(a) 47 dB above 1V/m for channels 2 to 6;

(b) 56 dB above 1V/m for channels 7 to 13;

(c) 64 dB above 1V/m for channels 14 to 69.

(3) The HAAT determined in accordance with section 1 shall be ascertained for each radial and the effective radiated power (ERP) shall be ascertained in the plane of maximum radiation (in the case of directional antennas, the ERP value in the direction of each radial shall be used).

(4) The appropriate F(50,50) propagation curves (Tables I to III) shall be used with the HAAT and the ERP ascertained in accordance with subsection (3) to determine the distance from the transmitting site to the contour point on each radial.

(5) The contour points determined under subsection (4) shall be joined by a smooth curve to obtain the contour.

Note:
The 40 dB line is the reference line for an effective radiated power (ERP) of 1 kW.

Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way too much information :) but I do appreicaite the feedback,sorry did not mean to make you go into over-time to put this together.I have used antenna.org before but often wondered how accurate that was,and if it was good enough information for the local stations to go by when considering granting waivers/allowing distant`s in there DMA etc. Thanks once again for all of your help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TNGTony and all -

My understanding is that the people getting "the letter" are those with both locals and distants who currently live in a Grade B area (grandfathered under previous SHIVA legislation); they must pick or the other. Those who have locals and distants and live outside of any Grade B area (i.e. "white area") are permitted to keep both as long as they don't make any changes.

Is this correct? Has anyone in a white area gotten this letter?

I believe that is correct. I am in a white area with both distant and local, no letter yet.

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)