distant networks

TNGTony said:
Though this is not an official predictor, check out www.antennaweb.org and enter your zip (an real address is not required but will more accurately predict Grade B). If the station is listed, you are in the grade B or better signal area.

See ya
Tony

edited TNGTony's post...added the 2nd "N" in Antenna :)

Woopsie! You are correct. That is the canadian definition of grade B. :)

I'm looking though the FCC web site to find their definition of Grade B. It's like pulling teeth!

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/shva/shvafact.html
Q: What is "Grade B intensity"?

A: Grade B intensity is a radio engineering term used by the Satellite Home Viewer Act and defined by the Commission. It is a specific measure of the strength of a television signal. Although a Grade B signal will not guarantee a perfectly clear image, it is adequate for home viewing.

Still looking for a more difinitive legal definition.

See ya
Tony

TNGTony

Wasn't it like (obviously paraphrasing)

Grade B is if 50% of an area can get a fuzzy watchable signal with an normal size antenna 20' off the ground?

Okay, here is the US law:
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2003/octqtr/pdf/47cfr73.683.pdf

Page 226
Grade A signal:
Channels 2-6 68 dBu
Channels 7-13 71 dBu
Channels 14-69 74 dBu

Grade B signal
Channels 2-6 47 dBu
Channels 7-13 56 dBu
Channels 14-69 64 dBu

For the purposes of determining the eligibility of individual households for satellite retransmission of distant network signals under copyright law provisions of 12 USC 119(d)(10)(A), field strength shall be determined by the individual Location Longly-Rice (ILLR) propagation prediction model. Guidance for use of the ILLR model for these purposes is provided in OET Bulletin No. 72. This document is available through the internet on the FCC home page at www.fcc.gov

See ya
Tony

50% of the people in the area getting a signal 50% of the time using a specific antenna for that channel on a 20 foot pole (single story house) or 30 foot pole (two story house) IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET in front of the address.

See ya
Tony

TNGTony said:
50% of the people in the area getting a signal 50% of the time using a specific antenna for that channel on a 20 foot pole (single story house) or 30 foot pole (two story house) IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET in front of the address.

See ya
Tony

I can't put my antenna in the middle of the street in front of the cabin. Damn snowplow would tear it down (like they do to the orange triangles on the mailbox) :D

Ok, other than PBS, I can't get any watchable network signals with a $500 antenna, rotor + amp on the roof of a 2 story house. Isn't that about as "white" an area as you can get ?

Per the old "E" qualification model, I qualified for only Fox & NBC analog and the CBS-HD (all out of NY). Why they wouldn't give me ABC & CBS analog distants, I haven't a clue.

Anywho, I just got the "letter" too. Since I got these distants after the '99 date, shouldn't I be able to keep both ? What am I missing here ?

As for digital, Vermont locals don't even plan to start building their towers until next year and would never meet the '06 deadline. There's not a station transmitting digital within a 100 miles of me (except PBS).

Walt

Okay - I looked at OET Bulletin 72 and don't understand most of it.

In simple terms (for simple minds) how do I / or get some one to do it - check the signal at my home and determine if I can claim white area status?

n0qcu said:
The letter is going to people that have both distant networks and locals. The letter tells them they must make a choice either distants or their local stations. They can no longer have both. If they dont choose, they then lose the distants. Never to get them back.

This is not exactly correct. I just got the letter and I have never had locals through Dish Network. I've had Dish Net. since mid-1999 and have had all of the distants (except FOX, which wasn't allowed to me then) both East & West. Again, I've never had locals via Dish Net. and probably won't ever want them.

The letter I recieved from Dish Net. told me that I "MUST" to go to "My Account" at dishnetwork.com by April 7, 2005 and "specifically choose to continue recieving them" in order to keep my distants. The letter also says "Please keep in mind that if we do not hear from you by April 7, 2005 you will lose your distant network channels by April 17, 2005".

Too bad the new legislation won't allow for both distants and locals for those who really need them. But I am happy (for the time being) that I will be able to keep the distant networks that I already have.

roadrhino said:
Perhaps a poll should be used to more efficiently determine what is happening.

It would seem from the results of this poll (so far) that either people in white areas are definitely receiving the letter stating they need to choose ... or that there is some confusion about what a white area actually is.

This confirms what a few people who are typically right have been saying ... that SHVERA requires Dish Network to ask us each to choose.

To put a positive spin on it ... at least we are given the choice. Me, I would choose locals (and thus lose the ability to timeshift) because I would rather have several PBS options (the SF Bay area has this) than than only one.

Still hoping against hope that I don't receive the letter....

Roadrhino

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)