DIY installation?

stanswx

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 21, 2004
Champaign, IL
I am considering switching from DirecTV to DISH Network so I can get my local channels. (they're eventually coming to DirecTV, but that would require installing 2 dishes) I went to 2 local retailers (Radio Shack and Sears) here in town and they both informed me that the only way to get DISH network is to have the system professionally installed. Now for most people, that's a plus but for me I'd rather do it myself. (which is one big reason I went with DirecTV in the first place) Is there anyway to get DISH network without having them install it? I looked at the FAQ on the DISH website and here's what it says:
----
Question
Do I have to have a professional installation or can I install it myself?

Answer
All of our new promotions include a FREE professional installation and most promotions require the system to be professional installed to enable your warranty. Therefore, we recommend that you seriously consider having your new system or second dish professionally installed to ensure that all aspects of the job are done correctly. For more information on what is included in a professional installation, click here. If you would like to schedule a professional installation, please call our Installation Department at 1-800-799-7175.

If you decide to install the system yourself, please note that this may require tools that you do not have, you may click here to view our installation guide.
----
However, when you go to order a system online, it only offers professional installation. There's no place to select 'do it yourself' installation. Are there any retailers these days that sell DISH network with the equipment? I went to Best Buy back in 1997 and bought all the equipment for DirecTV and installed it with no problems. Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Stan

You can call DISH and ask them if you can install it yourself. With professional installation, the installer brings all of the hardware with him so you might have to pay shipping charges of some sort. I suppose, you could request that the installer simply drop off the equipment and allow you to hook it up yourself.

The indusrty has changed since 1997. The local retailers make thier money these days on activation fees & residuals, not from selling equipment. So you would probably have to go online & purchase the equipment. Warranty issues can arise later if you do a self installation like it mentions above in your post.

Anyway,goodluck if you decide to self install.

My question is: why do you want to self-install?

Quality concerns? (quite valid). For example, if you're worried about wiring, there's no real problem with pre-wiring - as long as you do it right and can convince the installer of that - like leave enough extra so he can read it's RG-6 swept to 2150MHz or higher. Make sure you DO know what you're doing or you've wasted your time and materials.

Or doing something a bit shady? Depending on what you're after, modifying the install after the fact might be the answer. Some stuff that might technically be "shady" really isn't a problem. Other stuff is a definite no-no.

SimpleSimon said:
My question is: why do you want to self-install?

Well basically I don't care for 'strangers' coming into my house. I am a ham radio operator and I enjoy installing antennas and wiring, so to have someone else do it is not acceptible to me. :) (nothing personal against them at all) Now the majority of the people getting dishes out there could care less about that and would rather spend their time watching the dish instead of installing it. (nothing wrong with that either) It's like building your own computer vs. having one prebuilt for you. Definitely not doing anything shady here, I pay for my current DirecTV service like everyone else. So I'll probably just end up waiting a few more months for DirecTV to get locals and then install that 2nd dish. Would have liked it all on one dish, but what's one more antenna/dish? :)

Thanks!

-Stan

If you're switching from satellite serviced and you're comfortable using the existing cable, just tell the installer to swap the dished and sign off with him that your okay with him using the existing cable. I'm sure he'd be more then happy to sit and watch you swap out the recievers too, then the installer would not have to come into the hopuse if you did'nt want him to.

Yeah, when the Dish installer came to my apartment, I let him set up and aim the dish, but I ran the cables and setup two of the three recievers (he was using the 301 to aim at the time). He called up dish for me, and the job was basically done. Generally, you can talk the installer into letting you do most of the work. I don't see how they'd pass that up.

stanswx said:
So I'll probably just end up waiting a few more months for DirecTV to get locals and then install that 2nd dish. Would have liked it all on one dish, but what's one more antenna/dish? :)

Thanks!

-Stan
Are you sure your locals would have been on one dish with Dish? Dish routinely splits locals between the main birds and the wing birds. Or, in some markets, the locals are on different low power birds, and require the humungous Superdish, which many people have problems with, reception-wise.

Word on the street is that DirecTV is coming out with a 5 LNB dish. So, you'll probably still be able to have one dish without switching.

Yeah, I've decided to just stick it out with DirecTV. Not worth the hassle to switch at this point. I just bought a DirecTV DVR yesterday, so I'm halfway there to my locals. :) (at least it should support the 72.5 dish)

-Stan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts