DLNA *or* Sling, but not both???

GaryPen

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
As many of us have discovered, our H/J systems need to be connected to our LAN's via an HIC as opposed to Ethernet port on Hopper in order for DLNA to work correctly.

However, I have also discovered that once I am connected to the to the LAN via an HIC and not connected directly to the Hopper, I can no longer watch video from the SA attached to my Hopper via DO or DRA on my PC, nor DRA on my Android phone!

OTOH, DO/DRA live video functionality returned after re-connecting my Hopper directly to the LAN, and disconnecting the HIC from the LAN. But, after a short time, DO/DRA would disconnect with an error message.

For now, I choose Sling functionality over DLNA. But, I do hope Dish fixes these DLNA and Networking issues, so I can return to using both.

I dont have a HIC and do both Slinging (with Sling Adapter) and watch stuff via DLNA with just the broadband hooked to the Hopper.

Only issue I have is DLNA comes and goes, sometimes it works and other times it don't.

I think the HIC is necessary to get DLNA support on all connected Joey. If you don't care about that, you can just hardwire to the Hopper.

I use a Sling and I have a HIC hooked up. Sling has been.... iffy, I guess. I consider a large part of that to be my rather crappy 640k upload link though. I have found that it has been getting better the more I have tried to use it. (Not sure why that might be.)

I can stream live vid and recorded shows, but sometimes I have to "refresh" a couple of times before my shows will list recordings correctly. That's both over the web and with the Dish app on my Kindle Fire.

Anyway... to some extent it will work with a HIC and Sling.

I think the HIC is necessary to get DLNA support on all connected Joey. If you don't care about that, you can just hardwire to the Hopper.
I had to connect an HIC to get DLNA to work on my Hopper. Many others have mentioned the same thing. And, I believe even Dish has issued info to that effect.

Here's an update. I assumed I still needed the HIC for DLNA, as my H/J didn't see any devices until I hooked up an HIC to my system and connected it to my LAN. But, after removing the HIC, and going back to direct LAN connect at the Hopper, I still see the DLNA devices on the LAN with Home Media app.

They really need to straighten this crap out. This is basic network functionality. It's amazing this wasn't working correctly out of the gate.

Here's an update. I assumed I still needed the HIC for DLNA, as my H/J didn't see any devices until I hooked up an HIC to my system and connected it to my LAN. But, after removing the HIC, and going back to direct LAN connect at the Hopper, I still see the DLNA devices on the LAN with Home Media app.

They really need to straighten this crap out. This is basic network functionality. It's amazing this wasn't working correctly out of the gate.

I guess this makes the whole HIC requirement for DLNA on the joeys bunk.

I guess this makes the whole HIC requirement for DLNA on the joeys bunk.
Well no. I needed it to initially see all of the DLNA-compliant devices from my H/J system. Others have reported the same thing. And, Dish actually put out info saying so. So, it's not just me.

However, it seems one may not need the HIC after the initial detection. Or, the H/J's DLNA compliance/connectivity is just buggy as a homeless guy.

In any case, there really is no excuse for releasing th H/J with such basic connectivity issues after supposedly thoroughly beta testing. The 33 timer limit is another one that is just so basic, it makes one wonder how extensive this beta was.

I wonder if it has anything to do with where in the chain the HIC is located? Or, perhaps some other difference between the way yours is configured compared to mine?

2H/2J. HIC is in-line with a joey off of a node client port.

Well no. I needed it to initially see all of the DLNA-compliant devices from my H/J system. Others have reported the same thing. And, Dish actually put out info saying so. So, it's not just me.

However, it seems one may not need the HIC after the initial detection. Or, the H/J's DLNA compliance/connectivity is just buggy as a homeless guy.

In any case, there really is no excuse for releasing th H/J with such basic connectivity issues after supposedly thoroughly beta testing. The 33 timer limit is another one that is just so basic, it makes one wonder how extensive this beta was.

That is just silly that you would need the HIC at first then no longer need it. If it works with out the HIC then it sounds like just a software tweek by DISH should make the HIC un needed for DLNA on the joeys.

That is just silly that you would need the HIC at first then no longer need it. If it works with out the HIC then it sounds like just a software tweek by DISH should make the HIC un needed for DLNA on the joeys.
I agree. Something is wonky with the H/J networking and connectivity. Lots of folks are having various and conflicting issues. What works for some people is not working for others. And, what some people have problems with, others have no such issues.

A properly managed testing program would have discovered these issues, and taken care of them, before release.

Its very weird, it never would see my pc for the last week since install, but tonight i decided to turn on dlna through my galaxy note, and when i did, both my note, and pc showed up on the device list on the hopper. Could just be coincidence though, who knows...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)