Dmx buys out Muzak What does it mean for dishnetwork customers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Jeff003

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 28, 2004
My fear is that they will now charge for these channels and the music won't be as good.This has been confirmed I read about it on the internet.I'll see if I can find the link.

I doubt that will happen. The Muzak channels have been decreased significantly since Sirius became part of the package. They really don't have much to be charging for.

I had DMX through my cable provider many years ago and was pleased with the line up. Much more so than with Muzak.

There have been a few mentions about it over at Orbitcast... This has been in the making for some time now... Both companies have been loosing business to XM and Sirius business... It needs to be approved before things really get rolling... I have not heard DMX in quite some time, but from what I remember it was better than Music Choice with deeper play list and much better music selections... CC

Dish still offers the worthless Muzak channels? They've been blocked out of my guide for 5 years now.. And somehow I've lived without their "Top 40 Hits" (with a description of "up to the minute music") station playing European club remixes of mid '90's songs.

Dish or Muzak has done a very piss poor job of really keeping the DishCD/Muzak channels up to date... Just for kicks and grins I decided to listen to Strobe not to be confused with Sirius channel "The Strobe" and man they were still banging out the same music they were playing when I first got Dish Network back in March of 2000... I guess "JMO" Dish figured that since they had the Sirius channels nobody was going to listen to them so lets just KISS "Keep It Simple Sweet"!!! The problem with that notion is that folks who have the AT100 package gets a boat load of crap with the DishCD music channels... If the merger or sale does take place and DMX is still as good as I remember them being it would be a very good complement to the Sirius line up... CC

Naw, if they drop muzak and add more sirius channels then the monthly will go up. I'd say just drop muzak altogether and free up the space, I've only ever met a handful of people that listen to the music only stations.

There are a few of us who prefer the unprocessed, uncompressed sounding, disc jockey free presentation of the Muzak channels. I did have DMX back in the day on Primestar and it was quite good. Plus, last time I checked, DMX had better information on their web site of what they were playing then Muzak who has none. The fact that XM is the exclusive music service on D* is one big reason I have no plans to go with them when my commitment is up. On a good stereo system Sirius and XM sound crappy and mp3-like. The amount of satellite capacity for audio only channels is negligible so dropping them wouldn't be of any benefit to anyone, just less service for the same money.

Well I guess there goes any plans for investing in an FTA system for the muzak, as there will be changes.
I have not really heard much of muzak's programming on their other channels, I am only familiar with FM1 with is played in most retail establishments around here. I love the variety that channel plays, you'll hear alot of obscure songs from a couple of years ago mixed with newer stuff. FM1 and the environmental channel are blocked for dish customers anyway, so thats why I'd have to get an FTA system.
I do hear DMX is better, much better than muzak though. Muzak does it's purpose well for businesses, but with most channels in mono and limited in dynamic range, it sounds bad on a stereo or any home audio system (although fine for a small ceiling speaker).
DMX broadcasts all channels in stereo, and have an even bigger channel line-up than muzak.
DMX used to be available through some cable systems, but most have switched to music choice, which isn't quite as good. Main good thing about music choice is excellent audio quality, however they could have a bigger channel line-up and their soft rock playlist isn't quite as good as muzak's FM1. Depends on when you listen, sometimes MC Soft Rock plays some more obscure stuff and then sometimes they play to many pop currents.
I'd rather DMX buy music choice so we could get DMX on cable again.
I'd be shocked if the muzak name or it's channel line-up changed much.
I think DMX would be a better fit for dish though, once the muzak contract is up, as all channels are in stereo and dont have the bejesus compressed out of them.
The only other muzak channels I have heard was Hitline, their version of Top 40 which was absolutely awful. Some kids in a local Wendys must've messed with the muzak system and changed it to hitline.
And of course I am familiar with environmental, which aint bad actually.

Last edited:
Actually, the Muzak channels labeled Dish CD are stereo and uncompressed and those sound good on a decent system. The mono channels sound like crap, but that is the fault of E*, not Muzak. All the Muzak channels are delivered to E* the same way, but E* chooses to carry some of them in mono. I know this because I once e mailed Muzak to inquire why the channels were mono and they informed me that it was E*'s decision to carry them in mono and that they were delivered to E* in stereo. I just hope we don't lose Muzak (or it's new equivalent) channels once the merger is complete.

I do not listen to Sirius channels because of the constant interruptions to the music with "stings" and mindless DJs interjecting crap I do not want to hear!

Muzak (Dish CD) channels provide real background music. Mental wall paper that Sirius does not.

As to the muzak (Audio) channels, they are pre-compressed by Muzak to have a minimum of dynamic range for commercial applications where you want a steady volume lever regardless of the music type and monaural sound for even distrbution in large areas. Dish does NOT alter the audio channels. They deliver what Muzak provides.

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)