DNS in HD

Not sure how you are getting KTLA but it sure isn't DNS. DNS has KABC, KCBS, KNBC, and KTTV.

KTLA is a superstation on Dish. It is $2/month if the subscriber's address qualifies (and if the subscriber wants it). With the same requirement(s), a subscriber may get the 5 superstations (KTLA, KWGN, WPIX, WSBK, and WWOR) for $7/month. I believe they are in the 233-238 channel range.

You are S-O-L at least for now. While there is no statutory or regulatory bar to broadcasting the superstations in HD DISH does not seem to be interested in doing so. Maybe they don't think they are worth the bandwidth or maybe they are afraid it would lead to more blackout requests under Syndex.

My guide shows only 239 WGN and 252 KTLA no superstation package on my account. America 250,blockbuster and multisport. Interesting

WGN is not a DNS or a Superstation, it part of a regular package. KTLA is not part of your locals. Not sure how or why you are getting it at all, or why only SD. You are able to get all the superstations if you subscribed.

Tampa8 said:
WGN is not a DNS or a Superstation, it part of a regular package. KTLA is not part of your locals. Not sure how or why you are getting it at all, or why only SD. You are able to get all the superstations if you subscribed.

I thought WGN used to brand itself as Superstation WGN as well as TBS. I think WGN is technically a superstation branded WGN America. There is also a local WGN; there used to be WTBS. I think WTBS is now Peachtree TV.

However, WGN is in AT200 and above, Dish America Silver and Dish America Gold, or Dish Latino Max.

I think they are now simply a network, WGN America? It's possible they are still called a Superstation....

I live North of Santa Barbara(Lompoc)and I get KTLA in my dish package as part of my locals(I dont pay extra)however just like PBS its SD.It would be nice in HD but the quality of the SD is fine ,I dont watch much of CW anyway(Supernatural is only show I watch).Just wondering do other people in other areas of the country get a CW feed from elsewhere if one not available in their market..

I think they are now simply a network, WGN America? It's possible they are still called a Superstation....

WGN was a superstation but lost that designation when they stopped showing the same programming on the cable/satellite version they had on the local station. They did keep calling themselves a superstation for awhile but that stopped some time ago. The TBS Story is somewhat convoluted.. TBS Still exists as a cable channel but as TBS not WTBS. The old broadcast station is now called WPCH and another Atlanta stations uses the WTBS call letters.

I live North of Santa Barbara(Lompoc)and I get KTLA in my dish package as part of my locals(I dont pay extra)however just like PBS its SD.It would be nice in HD but the quality of the SD is fine ,I dont watch much of CW anyway(Supernatural is only show I watch).Just wondering do other people in other areas of the country get a CW feed from elsewhere if one not available in their market..
My market doesn't have a CW, but I get WPIX New York mapped to chan. 251. I'm in a small market in TX.

WGN is not a DNS or a Superstation, it part of a regular package. KTLA is not part of your locals. Not sure how or why you are getting it at all, or why only SD.

He's getting it because in some DMA's that do NOT have a local CW, DISH provides one (a la DNS) at NO extra charge as part of the base prog pkg w/locals. WPIX is provided in the E/C time zones on 251; KTLA is provided in the M/P time zones on 252.
DISH has been doing this for some time now...it's the same thing that D* does with WDCW in D.C. for E/C time zones, & XETV SanDiego for M/P time zones. (usually mappped to ch 14 within the local channels range) NEITHER E* or D* offer any HD versions of these CW DNS feeds...

Last edited:
I have WPIX,KTLA,WGN9,WSBK all in HD on my canadian sat. Dish probably doesn't feel the need to add those in HD other then the local markets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)