do I even need an OTA antenna?

I get a pbs station from San Mateo pretty well and I seem to get UPN on a steady basis along with the Jazz channel. With the Rabbit ears I get ABC, KQED (PBS), and CBS and sometimes KRON.

mallu2u said:
Which antenna do u have and are you pointing to the right direction? If do u, what channels do u get?

ok new update. I took down the terk. On my roof there is this big metal antenna that looks like it's from the seventies. I went out bought a longer coaxial cable, a diplexer, and a coaxial connection to the antenna. When trying to connect the antenna unit to the antenna, the wingnuts on the antenna actually crumbled from age. I ended up doing a quick hack for time being involving electical tape. :p After all was connected, I ran the scan digital on the 811 and it returned 14 strong hits compared to the two or three weak ones earlier. Now for some reason I'm not picking up CBS or ABC, but most of the other are coming in at 80% to 90%. Not bad. I did try using a high-gain signal amplifier (boosts signal up to 26db) but I actually lost NBC and a couple of others. The amplifier isn't bi-directional, don't know if that makes a difference. So... there it is.

Im glad you've been more successful now. I would have suggested an antenna such as Radio Shack 15-2160 or Channel Master 3021 (4221). They are good performers. Sometimes you loose some channels while you get others is coz most of these antennas are highly directional and get channels coming only frm that direction. I am currently using the RS antenna in my attic and its working quite well. When I get it to roof, it would works much better...I am also using CM 3041 DSB amp from Lowes. I would be switching to CM 7777 amp next week.
Amps help to boost signals if they are weak..but never help for channels are in not there or if the antenna is not pointed in the right direction. If you know the direction is right (antennaweb.org), then try moving the antenna little to the left or right and see if that helps...for this u would need one more person..who can re-scan while u move the antenna...I drag my wife into this...until her patience runs out!

robotX said:
ok new update. I took down the terk. On my roof there is this big metal antenna that looks like it's from the seventies. I went out bought a longer coaxial cable, a diplexer, and a coaxial connection to the antenna. When trying to connect the antenna unit to the antenna, the wingnuts on the antenna actually crumbled from age. I ended up doing a quick hack for time being involving electical tape. :p After all was connected, I ran the scan digital on the 811 and it returned 14 strong hits compared to the two or three weak ones earlier. Now for some reason I'm not picking up CBS or ABC, but most of the other are coming in at 80% to 90%. Not bad. I did try using a high-gain signal amplifier (boosts signal up to 26db) but I actually lost NBC and a couple of others. The amplifier isn't bi-directional, don't know if that makes a difference. So... there it is.

What do you mean by a segnal amplifier (Pre-amp). If you get a pre-amp, you should also get a annutuetor. This way you can adjust the strength. It sounds like you might be getting some multi-pathing.

1) Check antennaweb.org for antenna suggestion. See if CBS and ABC are coming from the same direction as the other channels.
2) Get a Pre-amp and annutetor to allow for adjustments.
3) Walk around your neighborhood and see what type of antennas people are using.
4) Check avsforums.com for some suggestion. Lots of posts there indicating what works and does not in your area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)