Do I need a Dish Pro Compliant Splitter

outaspace

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
I have a DVR 942 and a Dish 1000 Antenna that I am in the process of setting up both.
In the Antenna instruction book it says, for me to get all of the latest software updates, I must use the Dish pro compliant Splitter.
I know that the Dish Pro Separator came with my Reciever but did not recieve a Splitter or is it suppose to come with the Antenna or do I need to go out and get one at Radio Shack or some other place ?

Thanks ahead for any advice.

What do you need the splitter for? Do you only have one cable run going to where the 942 is going? If so you can use the the Dish Pro Separator to connect the single cable to both tuners on the 942. You should have a multi dish switch for your Dish 1000. I may be incorrect but I think it should be a DP34 this combines the signal from the three orbital locations. You shouldn't need any splitters, and shouldn't use them on satellite.

According to the Antenna instruction booklet, under Special downloading instructions it says the follow:

Special Downloading Instructions
Use these instructions directed by step 8 on page 5 to update dual-tuner receiver software.
Note: You will need a DISH Pro compliant splitter to complete this installation. The splitter is used only temporarily during receiver software upgrade and must not be left installed in the system.
1. Connect a single cable from either DISH Pro Plus Twin LNBF port (PORT 1 or PORT 2) to the LNB port on a DISH Pro compliant splitter (not a DISH Pro Plus Separator). Then connect two cables from the receiver ports on the DISH Pro compliant splitter to SATELLITE IN 1 and 2 ports on the receiver.
This DISH Pro splitter in this installation is used only temporarily for upgrading receiver
software. This splitter must be removed and replaced with a DISH Pro Plus Separator
following software upgrade or else the system will not work properly.
Display the Point Dish/Signal screen. Make sure the signal strength bar is green and locked for the 119°W or 110°W satellites on an odd transponder 11 or greater (for example, 11, 13, 15, etc.). Note: If the signal strength bar is not green and locked, toggle the transponder number up one and then back down one.
Do not run Check Switch at this time. If you do run Check Switch by mistake, this situation
can be corrected by completing the following:
a. Disconnect all SATELLITE IN cables.
b. Run Check Switch.
c. When Check Switch finishes, exit the Installation Summary screen back to the Point Dish screen.
d. Reconnect all SATELLITE IN cables.
Exit the Point Dish/Signal screen and follow your receiver user's guide instructions for taking a
receiver software upgrade. If exiting the Point Dish/Signal screen does not start the upgrade process
as described in the receiver user's guide, then, turn off the receiver for at least 20 minutes (on most
receivers) to allow the receiver to take a software upgrade.
After the software upgrade is complete, remove the DISH Pro compliant splitter.
Return to page 5 and finish the installation starting with step 9.

I don't know why they put that in there. I think i've done a million installs and never used a dish pro compliant (power pass) splitter. I think every tech here can say the same.

Ohhhh boy...don't tell my tech-support/QC guy that! He's under the impression that you absolutely NEED the splitter to download the current software and THEN replace said splitter with the separator.

With that said, I have yet to have a problem downloading software and getting things running by simply skipping the "splitter" step and hooking up the separator.

I've never seen that, but I don't read instructions. :eek:

I can see where they are going with that however. They want the signal to be locked on either 110 or 119, both tuners the same for proper download.

Just try a standard splitter. If you get a signal as per insructions, it should be fine. You would be suprised what will pass thru splitter. Signal and dc. If you're not OK with that, pick up a high freq splitter at RS. They are not expensive.

I'm going to update another thread on here about splitters as per an install I did today. (Sun)

Used existing cable from dish to a 625 from a DPP twin. Worked perfectly. Was replacing a SD that DNSC had installed last year. (long story)

Looked in attic to figure out the backfeed situation. I found the RG6 from dish went to "in" on a 4way splitter. Outs went to jacks throughout house. Like I say It worked fine with DPP and I assume SD with DP34. :confused:

So it will not cause a problem if I skip this step and just use the Seperator and the software updates will occur normally ?

Webby tell your qc guy he needs to get some strange to cure that uptightedness, the splitters arent even being sent out anymore and are not needed to do the set up of the dual tuners. Every once in a while I'll run into a dual tuner that will see a ghost of the 110 on tuner 1 and I just have to flip the path of the connections from the seperator to the reciever. 1 = 2 / 2 = 1 to do a X.

The problem seems to be that people are missing that the "Special Downloading Instructions" are only to be used in certain cases.
Page 5 said:
Connect the receiver(s) to the TV(s) and display the System Information screen (for most receivers,
press MENU-6-1-3 on the remote control). Make sure the software version meets the requirements
on the Table 2
. If the receiver has older software, go to Special Downloading Instructions on page 7.
If the receiver has the required software, continue on to the next step in this procedure.
Table 2. Software Required for Dual-Tuner Receiver Installation said:
  • DISH 322: L054 or later or current download
  • DISH Player-DVR 522: L059 or later or current download
  • DISH 721: Current download
  • DISH Player-DVR 921: L052 or later or current download
  • Legacy Tuners: All
  • Single Tuner DISH Pro Receivers: All
  • DISH Player-DVR 625, DISH Player-DVR 942, and future DISH Pro Plus Dual-Tuner
    Receivers: All
And, of course, Table 2 is confusing. Change "All" to "Any" and change the 322, 522, and 921 lines to "Any" - because the minimum software mentioned is the FACTORY LOAD - you'll never have less than that. :cool:

And what's this "or later or current download" crap? I mean talk about confusing.

IN OTHER WORDS: Fugget abod it - except for the 721, which still doesn't support the DPP-Twin/DPP Separator combination.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)