Do I need a position to hit G19 and AMC21 on the same Azure Shine 90cm dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

apsinkus

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
OK, so now that I figured out what I did wrong and G19 is pointed to reliably, my appetite for more has come out.

I would like to hit AMC21 for all those PBS feeds. Should I be looking into the position motor or is the a way to do it on a stationary?
I realize it is heck of a spread between 97 and 125, hence the question.

Dish I have is Azure Shine 90cm

Way too far apart to do, simultaneously, with one stationary dish. Either a second dish, and a switch, or a dish on a motor.
Think, for the greatest 'usability', around 8°-12° is max for multiple LNBF's on a fixed dish.

Yes its time to get a motor. Always something new to learn in this hobby.;)

And the worst part is when you install a motor you find how plumb your mast really is. A stationary dish cam be aimed at any bird for good reception without the mast being truly plumb. If you take your time you will do well.

Sent from my Timex Sinclair using SatelliteGuys

OK, so now that I figured out what I did wrong and G19 is pointed to reliably, my appetite for more has come out.

I would like to hit AMC21 for all those PBS feeds. Should I be looking into the position motor or is the a way to do it on a stationary?
I realize it is heck of a spread between 97 and 125, hence the question.

Dish I have is Azure Shine 90cm

AP,

You either need to set up TWO fixed point dishes - one separate dish for 97 and one for 125 (I recommend this to start out with) or else a MOTORIZED dish.

RADAR

If you aimed the dish at approximately 110w and hung a LNBF off the left and the right sides, 14 degree off center axis reception is certainly possible, but there will be some loss.

You will be much happier with a motorized system as the other members suggest!

So which motor would you suggest for someone with my "expertise" level?

Quite a few members have the SG9120B motor. I don't think that one motor is more difficult than another to install.
The instructions that come with the SG9120B are wrong for calculating the dish elevation angle as it should state 30 degrees - declination angle instead of the incorrect 40 degrees - declination angle.

Make sure you get one with metal gears, not plastic. I use a Stab HH-90, also the HH-120 or PowerTeck DG380 or DG380B all have metal gears. Make sure the motor you get has the right size tube to mount the dish on.

The SG-9120 (both original and 'B' models) have metal gears, and I find the backlash adjustment to be quicker and easier than on other motors I've seen/used...

apsinkus,

I have not used the SG-9120 motors, but I really love my PowerTech DG-380 motors. There are two models DG-380 and DG-380B. The only difference between the two is the diameter of the motor tube that they come shipped with (42mm or 55mm or something like that). You can also order the tubes individually for $12 - $15 and the tubes interchange on the motor stem, so you wouldn't have to purchase an entirely new motor if you wanted to change your dish for some reason and needed a larger or smaller tube.

One thing I really love about the DG-380 motors is the mounting bracket that they come with. They are heavy duty! Much thicker gauge metal. I originally started out with an SG-2100 motor and I made the mistake of a newbie. I tried to install a 1 M Winegard dish on the motor and at one point I used the motor backing plate and the bolts as a "jack". It warped the mounting bracket of the SG-2100 motor and I never could get it to track the arc after that. Basically it was like having a non-plumb mast. So, just be cautious with any motor and dish.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)