Do I need dish 1000 in SF, CA?

nclee

Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
My 622 (replacing 921) is scheduled for install tomorrow 4/14, I will be using in TV1 mode only. I currently have 1 500 pointing at 110/119 and the other at 61.5. I will be upgrading to HD Platinum (from American everything pack). The CSR told me the installer will be bringing DISH 1000.

My dishes are on the chimney two story high, because of the rain we've been having, the roof is very wet and slippery. I don't think it is wise for the installer to walk on the roof.

Also a few month ago I had a repair job done, the repair person told me DISH do not want installer to climb on roof. Is this really true?

I've read on some other post that if you can get all your local channels with existing set up, then you don't need dish 1000, I am pretty sure I can get all the bay area local channels now. If that is the only requirement, I will just unplug the 921 and put 622 in its place. Am I correct on this assumption?

Thanks

Some of the SF locals are on 129 or 148 but those are moving to 110 in the next few days. For the HD package you'll need 129 or 61.5 and 110. If I were you, I would just keep the existing setup and don't let them install the D1000. The signal on 129 is very weak and you will have rain fade with a D1000. If they insist in installing the D1000 then keep the dish for 61.5, the Voom channels and a few of the new HD channels are mirrored there.

Once they move the secondary local to 110 (may 5) your current set will give you everything. You may want them to add the Dish 1K anyway just so you have the 129 sat but KEEP your 61.5 dish at all cost.

so they will have to give you a dpp44 and
you will get to continue to get CBSHD East

Paradox-SJ said:
Once they move the secondary local to 110 (may 5) your current set will give you everything. You may want them to add the Dish 1K anyway just so you have the 129 sat but KEEP your 61.5 dish at all cost.

so they will have to give you a dpp44 and
you will get to continue to get CBSHD East

Thanks. Do you happen to know what are the local channels currently on 129?

I am pretty sure I cheked a few days ago, I can get to all the local channels on the dish guide. Some time last year, when I tried to access some locals, I would get a message saying I need another dish pointing to 148. I don't recall seeing those messages any more.

SF Locals on 129 courtesy of EKB (ekb.dbstalk.com/129list)

KSTS 8229
KTNC-TV 42 (Azteca) Concord KTNC 8231
KMTP-TV 32 (Edu) KMTP 8232
KRCB-TV 22 (PBS) Cotati/Santa Rosa KRCB 8233
KTEH-TV 54 (PBS) San Jose KTEH 8234
KCSM-DT 43 (PBS) San Mateo KCSM 8235
KTLN-TV 68 (Rel) Novato KTLN 8236
KTSF-TV 26 (Ethnic) KTSF 8237
KFTY-TV (Ind) Santa Rosa KFTY 8239

New to the forum and I'm a deserter from Comcast looking for Dish people in the SF Bay Area. I need to know what equipment that Dish will provide, I'm mainly concerned about the dish antenna in particular. I plan on getting a 622 and a 211 and the platinum HD package. I know this is really basic but I've been on cable for over 15 years and I've finally have had enough, I'm in a low bandwidth (550 MHz system) and they're not going to upgrade us. I really need info on Dish especially in the Bay Area, any help would be appreciated.

Laters,
Mikef5

For the HD package you'll need 119, 110 and 129 or 61.5. The D1000 will give you 119, 110 and 129 so most likely that's what they'll do, install a D1000. Another option and what I would ask for is 2 separate D500s, one for 119 and 110 and one for 129. 61.5 is very low for us and you may not have line of sight to 61.5, I don't.

Read about the low signals on 129 for us in the West Coast and PNW here in the forum and what others are doing. The best solution for us is 2 D500s.

RandallA said:
For the HD package you'll need 119, 110 and 129 or 61.5. The D1000 will give you 119, 110 and 129 so most likely that's what they'll do, install a D1000. Another option and what I would ask for is 2 separate D500s, one for 119 and 110 and one for 129. 61.5 is very low for us and you may not have line of sight to 61.5, I don't.

Read about the low signals on 129 for us in the West Coast and PNW here in the forum and what others are doing. The best solution for us is 2 D500s.

Thanks for the input. I'm located just outside of San Jose near the bay and I have no obstructions in my way but if the sat is located close to the horizon you're right to have a dish specifically pointed to it and not one generalized antenna. So you can ask for 2 D500s and it shouldn't be a problem ???

Another quick question. Does anyone know of any good installers in the South Bay ?? The Dish site gave 3 of them for my area code and SkyLite is the closest to me. Has anyone done business with them or have suggestions on a good installer ??? Thanks again for the input.

Laters,
Mikef4

Tom Bombadil said:
So what signal strengths do you get off of 61.5 in San Fran?

I've seen upper 80s and 90s for 61.5 here in the Bay Area. I don't have one because of line of sight but a friend of mine has a dish pointed at 61.5, maybe he can post his readings here.

RandallA said:
I've seen upper 80s and 90s for 61.5 here in the Bay Area. I don't have one because of line of sight but a friend of mine has a dish pointed at 61.5, maybe he can post his readings here.

How about 98 here in the Central Valley? I kept my 2 dishes and had the tech swap out the LNBs on the 110/119.
I now get 87, 89 and 98 (61.5). The 61.5 is just a click above the horizion. Someone makes camp on the peak of Mt. Whitney, and I'm SOL!

I'm just a little north of you and on a smaller 18" (DISH 300) pointed at the 61.5 sat, my lowest reading is a 93 (on transponder #30) and I nearly max out on my highest reading, 123 (on transponder #12). It's take a little work to peak the dish beacuse the sat is so far, but if you don't want to deal with rain fade issues it's well worth it. Despite all the rain we had this year, I have not had any picture issues with this sat, but this dish points low to the ground. I think it's only about a 7 degree elevation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)