Do I need to return VIP722 if I cancel DISH?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jphelp32

Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
Anyone know if DISH is requiring customers to return the VIP722 DVR receiver upon cancellation of service? I've been a customer for 4 years or so and have fulfilled my contract obligation, and am considering dropping dish in favor of OTA.
Also, if they don't collect the receiver, would I still be able to use it to record OTA HD without the dish service?

thanks

No. No. No.
It's leased equipment. It belongs to Dish. They will charge you about $400 if you don't return it.
You must pay $15 for the return with their label or pay the charges for your own return.

You have to return the receiver if it was leased from them. If you bought the receiver yourself then you can keep it.

Yah, I cant believe I have to pay $15 to return the equipment. Its Dish that wants it, not me.

I am going back to OTA free and just download the rest.

Well you did sign the commit. It did say you would pay that upon cancellation.
There's nothing in the Residential Customer Agreement or any other paperwork (I signed up for DHP) that I've "signed" that says I have to pay return shipping charges upon cancellation.

I'm thinking that the charge is relatively new and that it isn't documented on the website. It may be in the faint print on the back of the billing form.

There's nothing in the Residential Customer Agreement or any other paperwork (I signed up for DHP) that I've "signed" that says I have to pay return shipping charges upon cancellation.

I'm thinking that the charge is relatively new and that it isn't documented on the website. It may be in the faint print on the back of the billing form.

This started last year I believe.

chong67 said:
Yah, I cant believe I have to pay $15 to return the equipment. Its Dish that wants it, not me.

I am going back to OTA free and just download the rest.

You could always drive to corporate in colorado and drop it iff. But I'm assuming it would cost more than 15 bucks in gas. :p

Look in the appendix of your Receivers Manual.
No mention in the online PDF.
ViP622/ViP722 manual section 8 said:
B. Return of Leased Equipment. Upon cancellation or disconnection of your Services, you must contact our customer service center or call the telphone number set forth in any applicable Promotion Agreement to schedule the return of your leased Equipment. If you do not return such Equipment undamaged and in working order, normal wear and tear excepted, you are responsible and must pay us certain charges as described in any applicable Promotion Agreement.
As you can see, the only mention of a fee is if you don't return the equipment.

The manuals for the ViP722k and ViP922 (both section 5B) have similar statements and don't mention anything about a return shipping fee under the fee schedule or in the lease return language.

In the future, you should cite chapter and verse if you know you have the answer pinned down. On a question as important is this, don't wing it.

You have no obligation to return the receiver at your expense. A statement in the manual is BS and it could require you to also eat ice cream for best viewing. If you have not explicitly agreed to the return at your expense all you are obligated to do is return it at their expense if they ask .... and only if they do so in a reasonable time after the termination of service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts