Do we REALLY need so many music channels?!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
I had DISH installed about 2 weeks now and there is something that bugged the hell outta me and that is why soo many damn music channels! You have CD and Sirius....WHY TWO??!!! I mean I am sure that if EVERY was asked which do you preffer... video or music channels, it wouldn't even be close!

While I agree that there is some redundancy involved, I love having the Sirius channels. We listen to them through the theater system and it sounds great for parties, cleaning days, and just hanging out. I would prefer if they dropped the CD channels and added the rest of the Sirius line-up in their place.

Do we REALLY need so many sports channels?
Do we REALLY need so many movie channels?.....it's all about choice!

Dish does all of the distribution for Muzak. Those account for all of the 9xx channels. I would imagine that those channels would go away if it werent for the Muzak contract.

Sirius was a great addition as they have very different programming.

So, basically, why does it matter? The music channels take up VERY little bandwidth. If you dont like them, set up your favorites so you never see them.

Weezknight said:
While I agree that there is some redundancy involved, I love having the Sirius channels. We listen to them through the theater system and it sounds great for parties, cleaning days, and just hanging out. I would prefer if they dropped the CD channels and added the rest of the Sirius line-up in their place.

I prefer the CD channels because even the low-key DJ's on Sirius get on my nerves when I want to listen to music not talk, and I'm a Sirius subscriber!:)

My kids love the Kids music station on Sirius. I listened to the CD music once...and never heard of any of the music before...but that was before Sirius jumped aboard.

Set up your favorite channels and exclude those you don't want to see. In my opinion the Sirius channels are far better than the CD channels but I would never vote to lose any of them! Not sure why anyone would complain of having too many channels but that's only my opinion.

When I am at home working, I will spend all day listening to one of the music channels and never even turn the TV on. I listen to several of the Sirius channels and a couple of the CD channels. I probably spend as much time listening to the music channels as I do watching the TV channels.

Do people complain about EVERYTHING? I LOVE the Sirius channels, but I think the Muzak channels are a waste so I just block them from my guide and only listen to Sirius. I don't see why you wouldn't want the option of having a choice though, I mean who doesn't like music?

I can't believe somebody would complain about having too many channels! Its great to have a nice variety of music, and they take up VERY little bandwidth. I had seem a presentation from Comcast before, showing that ALL of the music choice stations took up less then 1 Digital SD video feed. You can fit 8-12 digital channels in the place of 1 analog channel (over cable) I believe. The amount that music channels tale up is next to nothing

Why I don't like all the music channels I think it is great that DISH offers all the choices they do. We all have different tastes and it seems that the music choices covers them all. I like having music channels besides TV. I have trouble sleeping at night so I leave the TV on and turn to one of the classical channels. It saves me from taking an Ambian. (by the way...my wife preferes it to as the last time I took an Ambian, she caught me "sleep cooking "and I almost burned the house down. And that's a true story.

I like the audio quality of the CD channels better than the Sirius channels. Sirius uses too much dynamic range compression especially on the 70s and 80s channels. Sirius sound more like FM quality than CD quality at times. Of course, it is satellite "radio". :)

Well I never use them so I just create a favorite list and block out all the stations I don't want!!! That way I don't spend an hour going past all the channels I don't want to look at! :)