Do you think dish will get rid of contracts like T-mobile

dishfan82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 18, 2012
clinton Township
I was thinking if dish dumped contracts and we paid to own the boxes then they could cut the pricing across the board for everyone. I think there would be less of an incentive to leave. Would it be a good idea? T-mobiles trying this concept with their cell service with no contracts.

People will think no contract is a great idea until they start buying unsubsidized cellphones.

The same would be true for receivers.

Dish already has the option to buy your own equipment and not have a contract.. It's not very popular because of the cost..

The other problem is that you do not get a price break for owning your own equipment. The only real way to "save" with your own equipment is if you have a room you only turn the box on for brief periods. I have a box in my guest room that I only activate when I have guests staying with me.

Now there would be a huge incentive if lets say you only had to pay $2/month for a box you buy vs the standard $7 (assuming hopper/joey).

I agree. That at least is the incentive for paying full price for your phone on Tmobile. Your rates are lower but for a lot us the coverage is bad. I wish Verizon would let me do that. I called and asked what my rates would be if I bought my phone unsubsidized. They told me there would be no change or lower rate. So I do give Tmobile props for that.

I do wish Dish would have that kind of option. I could have bought 2 Hoppers with Sling for $400 and owned them. Oh well I don't mind a contract. I'm happy with Dish.

Last edited:
I wish Verizon would let me do that. I called and asked what my rates would be if I bought my phone unsubsidized. They told me there would be no change or lower rate.

You can get Page Plus, it uses the Verizon network and any Verizon purchased or out of contract phone.

Back to the subject, Dish used to NOT charge receiver fees for owned receivers, so there was a benefit.

I dont have a problem with the initial contract. When you look at the install and everything, its a big cost. Im on the fence about paying $199 for a second Hopper and then getting put in another 24 months. My first thought it, Im already a customer, I just spent $200 on an upgrade so Im probably not going anywhere, they have termination fees, and they get the box back to send to another customer.

So IMO, new service 24 months = OK, DVR upgrade 24 months = crappola.

I agree. That at least is the incentive for paying full price for your phone on Tmobile. Your rates are lower but for a lot us the coverage is bad. I wish Verizon would let me do that. I called and asked what my rates would be if I bought my phone unsubsidized. They told me there would be no change or lower rate. So I do give Tmobile props for that.

Straight Talk in Colorado uses the Verizon towers.
My wife bought a white iPhone 5 with 16 Gigs of memory from Walmart about a month ago. It cost $649.00 for the phone.
It is a no contract plan. They offer 3 monthly plans. They cost $30.00, $45.00 and $60.00, depending on your needs.

I think if Dish had its druthers, there would be no purchased equipment. With no owned equipment, it would easier for Dish to effect a hardware turnover. If the would receiver base could receive MPG4, the transponder space would handle a lot more channels.

With owned equipment, Dish has to try incentives to get owners to roll their equipment with little success.

With the exception of spending a lot of money to preclude the possibility of paying a cancellation fee, the current pricing scheme makes ownership a poor investment.

I think if Dish had its druthers, there would be no purchased equipment. With no owned equipment, it would easier for Dish to effect a hardware turnover. If the would receiver base could receive MPG4, the transponder space would handle a lot more channels.

With owned equipment, Dish has to try incentives to get owners to roll their equipment with little success.

With the exception of spending a lot of money to preclude the possibility of paying a cancellation fee, the current pricing scheme makes ownership a poor investment.

In the past Dish has essentially given free rental equipment to anyone that had owned equipment that was no longer supported without any commitments or costs. People have griped that their old owned boxes are now useless, but at least Dish gave them current boxes under lease for free without commitment.

Cell phones eventually become useless. Analog cell phones are no longer of any use, 2G is next on the list AT&T has said 2G will be gone in a few years from its network. I do not see Dish being any different. If you buy a box, it will eventually become outdated.

Dish already has the option to buy your own equipment and not have a contract.. It's not very popular because of the cost..

I purchased a 211K for $93 w/ free shipping, no contracts and I can deactivated during the summer when there is no one using the room that only gets used during the winter. I think it is more popular than you imagine.

Dish tried a no contract option several years ago when they first rolled out their digital home advantage plans.

Too many customer took advantage of the no contract option and Dish had no leverage to keep them as a customer when they wanted to cancel.

The whole issue was that there was too many customers signing up that only needed service for a few months, or for special events like the Super Bowl. It was just not worth it to offer a no commitment for people who had no intentions to keep the service long term.

Dish still has no commitment options, buy your either buying your equipment or paying $99 on a lease with no promotional pricing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts