Do You Think I Should???

Spatch

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
Northeast, PA
I really want a Hi Def DVR but I can't afford to upgrade to a 942 right now. From what I gather from reading this forum, is that the 311 and the 811 will be replaced by the 411 which will be a Hi Def unit.
With the pending transition to mpeg 4, I was thinking that I should get a SD DVR. That way when the swap is done I could wind up with a Hi Def DVR without the $700 cost of the 942.
I also have read somewhere on the forum that the Hi Def customers would be the first to be swapped. Do you think that they would only be swapping the Hi Def units or all of your units at the same time.

I know that any replies will be an educated guess at best but I am interested to see what you think.

Thanks

HD customers are going to be upgraded first. Hard to say when the SD customers will be upgraded...could be years from now. My guess is that if you have an SD DVR you won't be getting a free HD DVR

Spatch said:
I really want a Hi Def DVR but I can't afford to upgrade to a 942 right now. From what I gather from reading this forum, is that the 311 and the 811 will be replaced by the 411 which will be a Hi Def unit.
With the pending transition to mpeg 4, I was thinking that I should get a SD DVR. That way when the swap is done I could wind up with a Hi Def DVR without the $700 cost of the 942.
I also have read somewhere on the forum that the Hi Def customers would be the first to be swapped. Do you think that they would only be swapping the Hi Def units or all of your units at the same time.

I know that any replies will be an educated guess at best but I am interested to see what you think.

Thanks
You are really going to have to change what you are filling your pipe with. HDTV channels will be the first channels to benefit from MPEG4 so only HDTV receivers will need to upgrade to get new channels. This won't happen until Q4 at the earliest. DISH won't by previous history give MPEG4 receivers away free to existing customers. They will require an upgrade of programming and at least a 1YR. commitment and probably an upgrade fee as they did with the 6000. SD channels probably won't see a MPEG 4 usage until late 2006 or early 2007 and those will definitely have a commitment and upgrade fee so you can get the "NEW" channels. :) :) :) Under NO circumstances can I see you getting a HDTV DVR FREE.

Spatch said:

Thanks
I like the way you think! So you're a HD Package customer without a DVR. You're thinking that when Dish upgrades your 811 to a 411, they'll upgrade your SD box at the same time (for convenience sake), and if it's a DVR, give you an HD-DVR.

Interesting, and devious. Will Dish fall for that? I doubt it, but who knows.

Long term, it brings up another question. When will all the SD boxes be upgraded to MPEG-4, and will they become HD boxes at that time? Will the boxes for SD customers have the HD outputs disabled?

mdonnelly said:
I like the way you think! So you're a HD Package customer without a DVR. You're thinking that when Dish upgrades your 811 to a 411, they'll upgrade your SD box at the same time (for convenience sake), and if it's a DVR, give you an HD-DVR.

Interesting, and devious. Will Dish fall for that? I doubt it, but who knows.

Long term, it brings up another question. When will all the SD boxes be upgraded to MPEG-4, and will they become HD boxes at that time? Will the boxes for SD customers have the HD outputs disabled?

No. Just don't allow access to HD programming. You'll have to subscribe to watch the hi-def channels.
All he's sayin' is will they do all boxes at the same time. My guess is no. 25 million boxes all being upgraded at the same time, it'll take years. It would make sense to first be the HD receiver's, followed slowly by fazing out legacy receivers, then 301's, etc, etc.

NO. There is no way for dish to charge for this. They'll lose half their customer base. Just recently they fazed out the ?2800? and I did at least one job a day where I upgraded those customer's with the ?2800? with a 301/501/508, depending on lenth of time with dish, payments, etc, etc, and this was done for them for free. Oh, and most often we upgraded them to Dish 500 also.

Here was my plan. I have a 811 and a 322. My thought was change out the 322 for a 522 or 625 whatever they will give me as a dual DVR. Then when the change to mpeg 4 came around I was hoping that along with the swap (with commitment or not) they would exchange both the 811 and the 522-625 at the same time. And that the 522-625 would also be a HiDef system.
I am not looking to cheat dish out of a receiver but save myself some cash if the new mpeg 4 receiver are also going to be HiDef.

So when the 411 boxes replace all the 3xx series, then I can get digital OTA on any set that has component or HDMI/DVI.

Att the same time go to circuit city and demand your free HD tv set. On the other hand. we all know that if it deals with satellite it has to be "free" free free

No, but with analog channels soon to be a thing of the past if I buy a tv when they are gone I expect to have a digital tuner instead of an analog tuner.
maybe I am reading to much into the fact that the 311 and the 811 will be replaced by the same model.
I thought the 311 is a SD receiver and that it would be replaced by an HD receiver. Sorry if I am thinking that other SD receivers would also be replaced by hd.
Wow some people just love to give little jabs. Calm down. I am just asking some what if's.

In the olden days (6000), HD parts cost a lot more than SD ones.

Now, an MPEG4 HD-capable chip will cost about the same as an MPEG2 SD-only one, so it makes economic sense for E* to only have one group of receivers. And that's the ONLY reason they will do it.