Does Dish 500 + single 105 dish = SuperDish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ride525

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
SF Bay Area, California
Instead of installing SuperDish, could one just use the Dish 500 for 110 and 119, and add a second single dish pointed at 105?

If so, any extra equipment needed? I currently have a 6000u that I use, and a 4900 which is not currenlty in use.

Thanks,

Jeff

Why not? Though, the second dish you will need to install will have to be big, and it needs to use a different kind of LNBF; Ku-Band FSS.

There's an entire thread on this idea here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=784

The dish that you would have to point at 105 would have to be just about as big if not the same size as the SuperDish, so why not put the SuperDish up? The only reason one would do this would be to save money on not having to purchase the SuperDish. With the promotion they are giving on the SuperDish you might as well take the free dish and free install.

This would also be a good solution for those that need an extra dish to receive the channels at 105.

.... the free dish and free install....

Neither of these are "free" (i.e. "not costing or charging anything"). They require a service commitment.

One of the biggest problems humankind has is the inability of people to distinguish between "no up-front charges" and "free".

In no way should this be construed as an attack on the original poster.

It's to bad that no one thought about just replacing the LNB of an existing antenna presently pointed at one of the wing satellites (of course making the mounts interchangable). The only issue I have is the weight of the Super-dish, it seems that roof mounting is not recommended.
For me that is the only acceptable location.

rcbridge said:
It's to bad that no one thought about just replacing the LNB of an existing antenna presently pointed at one of the wing satellites (of course making the mounts interchangable). The only issue I have is the weight of the Super-dish, it seems that roof mounting is not recommended.
For me that is the only acceptable location.

I dont think you can just replace the LNB on a Wing sat dish 61.5/148 as those dishes are only 18" and too small to see 105 properly. You would still need a larger dish to see 105 or 121.

mattb said:
I dont think you can just replace the LNB on a Wing sat dish 61.5/148 as those dishes are only 18" and too small to see 105 properly. You would still need a larger dish to see 105 or 121.
You're right. Apparently the extra wide dish is necessary to more sharply focus the lower power signal and to isolate it from possible interfering satellites which in FSS are only separated by 2 degrees (vs. 9 degrees for DBS)

Also the thread at: http://www.satelliteguys.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=222
has done this in a couple different ways and proves it works.

I agree that Superdish is in no way free. A one year commitment plus the possiblity of needing additional adapters and switches as well as them possibly taking away the old equipment you have already paid for is not free.

It does make for a "dish farm" appearance on the side of your house though.

I have a Starband/Dish dish (24"x36"), a Dish 300 (18"), and a Winegard Dish for 105 (31" by 34"). Lucky I live on a large lot in the woods with NO neighbors that are visible. :)

Jay

I do realize that it is not ''exactly'' free seeing that you have a commitment of one year to the package and a cancellation fee if you do not keep it for the one year. That is a good point made fv3. Dish Network advertises it as free in which makes the promotion look better when it is really no upfront cost.

The same could be said about Dish Network and their Free Dish promotion or Free For All Promotion where you have to have a commitment having to pay nothing for the hardware upfront or pay for the hardware upfront and get $10 credits on your monthly bill for 15 months on the one receiver deal or 20 months on the 2 receiver deal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts