Does Dish send out techs to check equipment without customers asking?

shortspark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
texas
Yesterday I received a call from Dish (at least I think it was Dish). They asked if I have had signal problems lately. I told them every once in a while I get a signal loss message and also the receiver reboots on its own but not often enough for me to worry about it - maybe once every week or two. The service rep, who already had my name, address and telephone number said they would send someone out next Tuesday between 8:00am and noon to check things out. I told her it was not really necessary because the signal loss is infrequent and probably won't be evident when the technicians get here and the odds are that everything will be working properly. She said that even infrequent signal loss should be checked out and it will be at no charge to me. She "sounded" okay and not suspicious but does Dish do this sort of thing without the customer even complaining about a problem? I am concerned only because sometimes legitimate DishTV repair people come out here in trucks that are not marked with the Dish logo. I am not suspicious of them because I am the one who called. This on the other hand was unsolicited. Does this sound legit?

Yes. This has been reported by others. Your receiver "phoned home" with a problem. Dish responded. Do a system info and see what is reported in the status box. You may have lnb drift

Just to back up dwarren2's post yes it is true.You can always check with Dirt if you have any doubts.

Yes. This has been reported by others. Your receiver "phoned home" with a problem. Dish responded. Do a system info and see what is reported in the status box. You may have lnb drift

Thanks. That makes me feel better. And thanks again for the tip - I never thought to check the system info.

Let me know what it says? I was having signal loss problems earlier this year. Turns out I was having lnb drift on one of the lnb's.

Status shows all is "GOOD". No problem indicated on any of the satellites so I don't know what they intend to find.

Still would be a good idea to contact a DIRT member to confirm the appt.

Last year Dish called me and sent a tech out without any charge to me. The did not like they way the original dish was grounded, so they moved the dish to the side of my house where the electric meter is for better grounding and ran all new wiring with two new dishes. They did reuse one of the lnbs, but replaced everything else. So, Yes Dish does call when your receiver reports a problem. Go for it, its' FREE.

Yes, that is the good part about it - free! Yet another rarity!! Well, I double checked my system info with 6-1-3 menu clicks and this time, sure enough, there was the message that it detected lnb drift. I guess my problems, although not continuous, must be related to the lnb not locking on (or whatever "drift" means), and it sent that message to DISH. It is nice they responded and are sending a tech out as I can see the problem getting worse before it gets better. I assume they will replace the lnb as it is probably wearing out by now and not able to hold on to the signal.

Replacing the lnb assembly eliminated the partial signal loss problem I was having. Glad that Dish found your problem. I had to do the protection plan for 4 months to avoid the $95 charge.

I had quality control drop by and look at my installation, offered to move dish to roof instead of railing on deck. Said rather not and he thought it was solid anyways.

If any of your receivers are connected to a phone line or internet they will send a status signal reporting your current signal levels from your satellite dish on your home. If the signal drops below a certain level customer service will sometimes contact you and schedule an appointment at your convenience. The signal may not be critically low but the dish may still need to be realigned or remounted to avoid future signal problems. The higher the signal the less likely it will be affected by rain fade. Sometimes the receivers send false statuses though. But this is normal practice with DISH.

rogerpl said:
I had quality control drop by and look at my installation, offered to move dish to roof instead of railing on deck. Said rather not and he thought it was solid anyways.

That's funny a QAS inspected offered to move it to the roof. That's supposed to be the last place to put it.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)