Does Google TV work well with ESPN3?

Not sure on that. If you have a xbox 360, they just recently got an update that does ESPN 3, and in HD. You must have an internet provider that offers it though. ATT service does I know.

If you have an ISP that supports ESPN 3 there is a way to get it on GoogleTV that isn't official.

Play On Media Server
| PlayOn | Watch Hulu, CBS.com, MLB.tv, Netflix, and more on your TV with PlayOn!

It's a media server that will stream ESPN3, Hulu, NetFlix, Spike TV, Nick, MTV, BET & unofficial third party plugins (TNT, FearNet, SyFy, etc) more from your PC to your GoogleTV (this program also streams your content to any Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii, Iphones, Android, etc)

It does cost a little bit, anywhere from $40-$80 I believe. The cheapest on paper being the cost of the program + $20/year or $80 one time fee for the life of this product. Personally I went with the one time fee, but I only paid $40 for it b/c I was a beta user. The only reason I mentioned this is that it's alot cheaper than buying an Xbox 360 and paying an additional $60/year from Xbox Live Service. I mean you already paid anywhere from $180-$300 for your GoogleTV.

Also it doesn't really offer a true HD experience.

msmith198025 said:
Not sure on that. If you have a xbox 360, they just recently got an update that does ESPN 3, and in HD. You must have an internet provider that offers it though. ATT service does I know.

I haven't had a chance to try it on the 360 yet - but I was really hoping for quicker access without having to fire up another device, switch inputs, etc etc.
I usually just hook up my laptop to the tv. Works fine, just inconvenient.

Thanks-

ohioankev said:
If you have an ISP that supports ESPN 3 there is a way to get it on GoogleTV that isn't official.

So are you saying for sure it doesn't work with just googletv?

I have playon and use it from time to time too. 'but that means I have to fire up a pc, ya know?

Thanks-

kscott900 said:
I guess the subject says it all. Convenient access to ESPN3.com would be the #1 selling point for me.

Just curious if anyone knows?

Thanks-

I does work. It took a while to load, but it does work. The HD games looked great.

I does work. It took a while to load, but it does work. The HD games looked great.

Thanks. This was a major selling point for me too. Now, if CBS March Madness on Demand streams, the Google TV will be well worth it.

Using my laptop, I tried to watch some games that were only available via espn3.com and the quality was absolutely horrible. It was so jerky and missed all kinds of things during plays that it looked more like a cartoon than something you could really watch. Am using a 3MB ISP (ATT), Vista Home Premium, and MS Media Center (whatever its now called.) Is play-on better than that? If so, definitely worth the $$$ to get around using the MS implementation (which sux). Is the Google TV solution better? (Was terrible on both IE and FireFox.)

Using my laptop, I tried to watch some games that were only available via espn3.com and the quality was absolutely horrible. It was so jerky and missed all kinds of things during plays that it looked more like a cartoon than something you could really watch. Am using a 3MB ISP (ATT), Vista Home Premium, and MS Media Center (whatever its now called.) Is play-on better than that? If so, definitely worth the $$$ to get around using the MS implementation (which sux). Is the Google TV solution better? (Was terrible on both IE and FireFox.)
Nothiing is wrong with ESPN3 quality. Its ur bandwidth. AT&T DSL with 3 MB is not always 3 MB. Its takes 1-2 minutes for ESPN3 to give you a good quality. I watched some games through Google TV on ESPN3 and stream was much better after 2-3 minutes... As long as ur ISP suportes ESPN3, you should be fine watching on google tv