Does your Dish 722 receiver boost bass?

JimP

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Wetumpka, AL
I don't know if I have a bad receiver or what.

On my Dish 722 input, I have to manually adjust my subwoofer level down a few dbs due to the overdone bass. I've checked my prepro (B&K Ref 50) and don't see where there is a custom equalization applied to that input that would account for the extra bass. I'm asking if anyone else has noticed this behavior on the 722.

...and on one channel, I think its TNT, the bass is even more overdone..but I think that has to just be the station.

below

I don't know if I have a bad receiver or what.

On my Dish 722 input, I have to manually adjust my subwoofer level down a few dbs due to the overdone bass. I've checked my prepro (B&K Ref 50) and don't see where there is a custom equalization applied to that input that would account for the extra bass. I'm asking if anyone else has noticed this behavior on the 722.

...and on one channel, I think its TNT, the bass is even more overdone..but I think that has to just be the station.

No on 1st question. That would be TNT not E*. Thing is you need to give more info so we can help you though. How are you connecting the output? I had to look it up on B&K's site just to know that it has to be component w/ optical for audio. Is it a 722 or a 722k?

Audio connection is via optical out to the Ref 50(video is HDMI going direct to the display).

This is a 722 and not the 722K.

I just went back and swapped the optical inputs between my tivo S3 and the 722 and think the difference may either be in the cable or input and not the 722.

Thanks for responding.

Last edited:
A TOS or Optical Cable will not "color" the sound. It is carrying a digital signal via light. It will either work or not. With my experience with TiVo equipment I would not be surprised if that was not the problem.

I have my 722 TOS connected directly to my receiver and other than only getting mostly 5.1 SS, I have 7.1, I have to up the Bass every so often on the LFE (Low Frequency Effects the .1). I get the same tonal qualities from my Blu-ray (7.1) and all the other optical sources. I also have many places I can tailor the LFE and Bass handling for each input and have not really touched the 722 input.

IF you tv is set for stable and you use the Tos optical audio cable for sound to your a/v receiver you will hear a difference. There is no stable sound for a/v receivers. You can turn all your sound in your receiver to pcm and it will sound more alike but you will lose the dolby digital 5.1 sound on HD shows and movies. Supposedly there will be software coming to level the sound . The last tech chat promised it for December for the 722k and then move to the other receivers. The problem was they didn't say December of what year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)