Status
Not open for further replies.

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
You may not know the man, but you surely know his voice...RIP!

Don LaFontaine, the man who popularized the catch phrase "In a world where..." and lent his voice to thousands of movie trailers, has died. He was 68. LaFontaine died Monday at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center from complications in the treatment of an ongoing illness, said Vanessa Gilbert, his agent.

LaFontaine made more than 5,000 trailers in his 33-year career while working for the top studios and television networks.

In a rare on-screen appearance in 2006, he parodied himself on a series of national television commercials for a car insurance company where he played himself telling a customer, "In a world where both of our cars were totally under water..."

In an interview last year, LaFontaine explained the strategy behind the phrase.

"We have to very rapidly establish the world we are transporting them to," he said of his viewers. "That's very easily done by saying, `In a world where ... violence rules.' `In a world where ... men are slaves and women are the conquerors.' You very rapidly set the scene."

Full Article

There have been a few times when someone dies, that I really feel that we all lost someone very special and unique. One time was when Phil Hartman was killed, and for some reason I feel the same way about this guy. The world just won't be the same without knowing that he's around.

There was a funny video out there with him and a few other voice-over guys in a limo before some awards show. Each one was doing their voice over schnick. It was all pretty funny.

Found it.

[youtube]JQRtuxdfQHw[/youtube]

The Disney Guy is the funniest.

Last edited:
Gotta love You Tube, here is a few more

[youtube]ZJMGS7l0wT8[/youtube]

[youtube]7QPMvj_xejg[/youtube]

I heard he died from a collapsed lung related to smoking. Why would a guy who makes a living with his voice, jeopardize that by smoking?

With that said, RIP LaFontaine.

I heard he died from a collapsed lung related to smoking. Why would a guy who makes a living with his voice, jeopardize that by smoking?
Why anyone would jeopardize their life by smoking regularly is beyond me, but I am certainly not going to tell others how to live their lives...just shake my head ruefully and hope I am not required to pay one cent for their mistakes..:confused:;)

With that said, RIP LaFontaine.

Not that I am justifying it, but smoking will add a depth to the bass of a voice tone. Many, if not most bass singers in do wop groups are heavy smokers.

Why anyone would jeopardize their life by smoking regularly is beyond me, but I am certainly not going to tell others how to live their lives...just shake my head ruefully and hope I am not required to pay one cent for their mistakes..:confused:;)

My Grandmother, on my mother's side was a heavy smoker. She was diagnosed with lung cancer at age 50. After having 1 lung removed, and undergoing radiation and chemotherapy, she was declared "cancer free" at 53.

She start smoking again at 57... cancer came out of remission at 59, and she died a short time later.

People do stupid things. For some, smoking is a really hard beast to kick. I can't imagine the strangle hold it must have had on her to lose a lung, suffer through 3 years of tortuous treatment, then go back to it.

My Grandmother, on my mother's side was a heavy smoker. She was diagnosed with lung cancer at age 50. After having 1 lung removed, and undergoing radiation and chemotherapy, she was declared "cancer free" at 53.

She start smoking again at 57... cancer came out of remission at 59, and she died a short time later.

People do stupid things. For some, smoking is a really hard beast to kick. I can't imagine the strangle hold it must have had on her to lose a lung, suffer through 3 years of tortuous treatment, then go back to it.
a doctor once told me it could be as bad being addicted to coke or herion to
some people.makes me wonder my wife been smoking sence she was13 now she is 45.

I had an great uncle who died in his sleep at the age of 82. He smoked 2 packs per days since the age 16 and had several periods in his life where he was a heavy drinker, but he was rarely sick and looked well kempt and dapper (looked young for his age) until the day he died. Go figure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts