Doug Gilmour retires at age 40

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unthinkable

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Hate to see him hanging up the skates. A true class act on and off the ice. Still have fond memories of seeing Got Milk? ads up in Toronto near the Hockey Hall Of Fame with Gilmour doing the famous milk mustache act.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1611441

Monday, September 8, 2003

Associated Press

TORONTO -- Doug Gilmour retired Monday after an NHL career in which he played 20 seasons and won a Stanley Cup with the Calgary Flames in 1989.

The 40-year-old forward, coming off a knee injury, made the announcement at a news conference at a Toronto restaurant.

"As an athlete, we all knew this day was going to come," he said. "As a player in the National Hockey League after all this time, you never want it to come."

Gilmour played for seven teams, totaling 450 goals and 964 assists. He was dealt to Toronto from Montreal at last season's trade deadline but sustained a season-ending knee injury in his first game back with the Maple Leafs.

Too bad. I've always like watching "Sweet Dougie Gilmore".

If anything, I think Ferguson made a great move in putting an end to the Gilmour speculation and allowing everyone to get on with their life, including Doug who still wasn't sure whether he wanted to come back. Good luck Killer.

I'm glad the Flames were able get Gilmore a ring and a cup! :)

I was so thrilled when they signed him for last years playoff run, and then just bummed right out when he was injured in his first game back as a Leaf. What a disappointment for him and Leafs fans.

My brother who lives in TO said it was like a family member dying when the injury news hit the papers the next morning.

And John, I am glad he got that ring!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)