DP 44+ Switch Question

normang

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Greetings All...

The new DP 44+ switch, I would like to be reminded of all the wonderful things this switch is supposed to do. If I recall correctly..

Its supposed to allow for a single cable run to service a two tuner receiver. I assume this requires either included or additional splitter of some sort for the rear of the receiver?

Do we know whether this switch will support Legacy LNB's or will it require changing to all Dish Pro LNB's.

Are there other unique features of this new switch I am overlooking?

Has anyone received an inkling of when Dish is actually going to ship one of these switches. Seems that this would be a boon to making installations significantly easier..

thanks for any feedback.... Norm..

The DP44 is for DishPro only.

At the time, it was going to be designed for 4 satellite operation (the 3 off Superdish + a wing). Now that HD is on 110, they probably will postpone its release.

I am not sure why they would postpone its release with the seeming advantages for dual tuner connections. specially if things are still going to be Dish 500 and 61.5 or 148 wings.. ???

Norm
Right now they can use the DP34, which has 3 inputs and 4 outputs, so they can use that for SD installs (110, 119 & 121 or 105) or the non-SD installs (110, 119, 61.5 or 148)

Since the SD locals are all on 121 or 105, they wouldnt need the wing dish (all HD except for CBS is on 110 now)

The only people who would need the DP44 right now are people who have SD locals and int'l or Sky Angel.

For me, if one of the advantages of the DP44+ is to use a single cable for say a 921 installation, thats a big plus, I wouldn't have to fool around trying to get a second cable run to my reciever location. While I am sure that other switch combos meet the need, there are some technical advantages to getting DP44+ on shelves if I have the features correct...

I agree with normang. I can't use the 921 because there is no way I can run more cables in my house without breaking few walls and getting a divorce. I have 4 receivers and plan to have 4 921 in near future. The 44+ would be the answer if it can work with my regular dish(non-superdish). I know I can upgrade to Dishpro and I can't see why it should be postponed.

Well, that just confuses the heck out of me. When the installer was out here tuesday to add a 510 receiver to my setup (a 6000 and an old 3800) he first attempted to leave the two cables coming from the twin LNB and insert a DP34 switch. That was not working and he made a phone call. When he came back he said he was using a switch that was not compatible with the legacy equipment (6000 and 3800) and would have to take it out and install a "44" switch. That's what he did. The "44" switch looks quite a bit like the 34 in respect to size, but has heat radiant fins on it. Also, he had to install two individual LNB's that each have two RF out's. And he had to run two more cables. So I have four cables leaving my satellite dish, and running to the DP44 switch, and three cables leaving the switch and running to the three separate recievers.

Stacy

Stacy A said:
Well, that just confuses the heck out of me. When the installer was out here tuesday to add a 510 receiver to my setup (a 6000 and an old 3800) he first attempted to leave the two cables coming from the twin LNB and insert a DP34 switch. That was not working and he made a phone call. When he came back he said he was using a switch that was not compatible with the legacy equipment (6000 and 3800) and would have to take it out and install a "44" switch. That's what he did. The "44" switch looks quite a bit like the 34 in respect to size, but has heat radiant fins on it. Also, he had to install two individual LNB's that each have two RF out's. And he had to run two more cables. So I have four cables leaving my satellite dish, and running to the DP44 switch, and three cables leaving the switch and running to the three separate recievers.

Stacy

What he used was the legacy SW44 switch. It needs 2 inputs from each LNBF, 1 for the odd transponders and 1 for the even transponders. It has four outputs, each output is switched to the appropriate LNBF and either the odd or even transponder for the channel selected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)