DP34 and 61.5 problems

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

AntAltMike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 28, 2005
I'm having trouble in a school language lab in which I have seventeen DISH receivers connected to DISH Pro. There are five DP34s cascaded but that is NOT the cause of my present problem, nor does it contribute to it.

All of the receivers pass the transponder signal "strength" test for both polarities of each transponder from 119, 110 and 61.5. The "locked" indicator becomes green. But when I try to tune individual stations on 61.5, the system says that there is a multiswitch malfunction.

I pared down the system to just one SW34 with two receivers connected to it. SW34 input 1 gets typically -45dBm of 119 signal from a DISH DP500 twin. Input 2 gets about the same signal strength of 110 from the same DISH DP500 twin. Input 3 gets healthy 61.5 signal from a DP single.

I put a spectrum analyzer on temporary taps I installed on the output ports. Each time I select a channel, the spectrum analyzer shows that the receiver has indeed switched to the correct stacked signal and that the signal level is healthy (it is easy to visually identify each stack because certain spot beams are weak on 119 and 110 and some are missing on 61.5) But the receiver indicates that it has detected a switching problem and won't allow me to select from 61.5.

I tried then connecting one receiver directly to the DP 500 twin. Total length, under 300 feet, and signal levels measured by my spec analyzer at about -50dBm. The switch test said it "found" just 119 and it let me view a 119 promo channel. I would have figured that with that configuration, it would have also found 110. When I connected it directly to the other DISH twin port, it said it only found 110 and it let me view the 4XX horse racing channel, but it wouldn't let me view anything on 119.

Now, here is where it gets really strange. I connected another' brand new receiver directly to 61.5. I did the switch searches, (one was a 1-5 signal sourcecheck, the other was a 1 of 1 switch check) and it found 61.5, both polarities, with signal strength numbers in the range of 90% to 125%, locked. But it won't download the guide (I waited two hours).

I MAY have two separate problems here. The DISHPro 500 Twin may have defective internal satellite switching and is defaulting 119 to one port and 110 to the other ports, but maybe either the DP34 and the receiver are looking for some kind of "handshake" that it can't receive, telling it that it is in control of the output selection when it is not. With a dumb cascaded system, that might not matter,but with a "smart" system, it might. But I don't know what is going on at 61.5. With a new receiver, a healthy DISHPro single and hard, single receiver wiring, I don't know what I can't get passed "square one" with either receiver.

The 61.5 is the only problem that I have to resolve immediately, since the school is on vacation and there is just one professor making timed recordings of 592 (61.5, Tr 14). Can a guide be downloaded just from 61.5? What transponder is that guide sent on?

I think the hangup on the new receiver that I connected to 61.5 is that it first has to download the new software to replace the factory installed software. Perhaps that software is not spooled from 61.5?

Were you pulling one lead from the DP34 at a time? If so it locks the twin in at 119 and 110. So if you just pulled the one lead off the switch and left the other on you could only lock onto the 110 or 119.

Here is what I've learned,

1. Someone other than me had gone up to the roof and replaced the DP twin with two DP singles, which explains why I couldn't induce either line to toggle, but which is not causing my system malfunctions

2. On Jan 5, DISH shut off all the programming to this customer. Apparently, they have multiple accounts, in part because they now have over 15 receivers (19, actually). It seems that the school paid the annual invoice of about $2,500 for the main account, but then misinterpreted the monthly statement for the German channel, DISHt shut off everything. I persuaded them into giving this account a 10 day repreive while the accounts payable office here sorts everything out.

3. I now am using a brand new DP34 mulitswitch with three dedicated DP single LNBs. All perform well. But when I select and try to view a channel on 61.5, like 592, it says that a switch problem has been detected.

I have a theory. This place has eighteen receivers sourced by a DISHPro cascade, plus one legacy receiver hardwired to 121 legacy. I bet that the brilliant DISH software has surmised that since at least one receiver, the hardwired, German one, is getting signqls from 121, then it can instruct all the receivers to try to tune in their ethnic programming only from 121, and so the switch malfunction message was generated somehow from the fact that the switch cannot call for signals from 121.

So....

I just went up to the roof and taped what is supposed to be a DISH stacked linear LNB to the front of the FSS LNB, and it works, sort of.

The check switch says that it has found both polarities of all three satellites, but when I go into transponder test, I get zero signal strength on either the evens or on just the odds.

On one receiver, I can tune in 698. The screen says it says the signal has been lost and acquisition is in progress and to wait or change the channel, but then, it locks onto the programming, which is from 121 tr 4. When I go to signal test, it shows signal on all the evens but on none of the odds.

Then I change the channel to 675. The screen says the signal has been lost and acquisition is in progress, and to wait or change the channel, but the it locks onto the programming, which is from 121 Tr 5. When I go to signal test, it now shows signal strength on the odds but no signal on the evens.

I know what you're thinking. I must be using an FSS LNB. Well. here is how I excluded that possibility. I connected a second receiver to the DP34. I can now have one receiver tuned to 675 from tr 5 and its test shows signal on all the odds but none of the evens. Then I have the other receiver tuned to 698, which still works but its test function says that the evens are present but the odds are not.

So I now have a three satellite distribution trunk that can allow each receiver to select either polarity from any satellite, notwithstanding the perplexing signal test results. Now, I need to get my guide restored, as lots of channels have disappeared from the guide. Unfortunately, the hold time for DISH Commercial Services is infinite, and they don't even have background music to assure you that you have not been cut off.

Last edited:
Upgrading the software from X312 to X314 appears to have helped. Now the 121 transponder test works reliably for both polarities, but each and every receiver in this system will require a thorough reset.

My vital Russian channels have moved from 592 and 593 on 61.5, to 738 and 739 on 121.

Bit now I've lost mmy secondary local channels. if the customer won;t accept the picture quality from their broadcast antenna, then I'll have to put a couple of D 44s at the top of the cascade!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)